“Great Experience!!”

Puntas Surf School
Ranked #8 of 18 Tours in Rincon
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Puntas Surf School gives private and group lessons daily. Melissa Taylor has been giving surf lessons in Puerto Rico since 2002 and created Puntas Surf School in 2007. She is still the only female instructor in Rincon and she has a team of guy and girl instructors so each lesson has all the help and information they can get! Nolan is her head instructor. He is very patient, informative, personable, and always has a smile on his face! The goal for Melissa and her instructors is to provide an educational, invigorating, and unforgettable experience in the surfing capital of the carribbean; Rincon, Puerto Rico. Our school provides lessons for beginners, intermediate, and those who just want to get to the next level! All ages are welcome and we provide a variety of different surfboards!
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Experience!!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I took my first surf lesson with Nolan from Puntas Surf School. I was nervous at first but with Nolans friendly and laid back personality I felt very comfortable. We met at Parking Lots and the weather was perfect. The lesson started on the beach, he went over proper form, paddling, pop-up, where to get in & out of the water etc...He was very attentive while in the water. Nolan has extensive knowledge of the area and surf breaks. He knows the right spot for you to be in, when you should start paddling and when to pop-up. I was able to catch all the waves he sent me on. It was a great experience and I recommend to anyone visiting the area.

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I LOVE Puntas Surf School”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Melissa is an amazing surf instructor, and my friend and I stayed at her bungalows and rented boards from her as well. Melissa and her team went out of their way to provide great local knowledge on where to surf that day/ conditions/ as well as specific local tips on where to eat, get supplies, and cool places to visit. Her energy level was off the charts awesome and she was always available when we had a question. She even went out of her way to greet us to make sure we arrived from the airport and found the bungalows (and to put this in perspective we arrived at 3 AM) !
Next time I am in PR I will definitely rent boards from Melissa and I highly recommend her staying at the bungalows which are roomy, clean, and really fun for a surf trip!

Visited April 2012
puntassurf, Owner at Puntas Surf School, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thanks so much for the wonderful review!! It means so much to me!!! Thank you and I hope you are well and I hope to see you guys again!!!
Hillsborough, NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great lesson”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Had a great lesson for my daughter and I. Melissa was patient and very accommodating. Sophia was only 5 when she went out with Melissa and within ten minutes she was riding waves in like a pro well kinda. As for me I was given the basics and large amount of "yes you can" and I promise I will return and I will learn to surf before I die. So much fun...

Visited October 2011
Southbury CT
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“First Class Experience”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Melissa from Puntas Surf School provided great service meeting us at our condo at leading us to Maria's beach for my son's first lesson. She's a great instructor and had him standing up within minutes. After 2 hours he paddled in exhausted but had a great big grin on his face!
We rented a board from Puntas the next day which Melissa delived to our place on Sandy Beach. She and Nelson surfed with my son and continued to give him pointers.

Visited April 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Personable and professional coaching”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

When our first choice for surfing instruction didn't pan out cause of scheduling, we went for Puntas as my wife was drawn towards having a female instructor. Melissa was very friendly and accommodating over the phone and we got a lesson set up for the very next morning. (I would not count on next day lessons, I would advise of course setting up a surf lesson far more in advance as there are variables like weather conditions at work). As it turns out, we were set up with an employee of Melissa's; Rod. We couldn't have been happier. He was a great guy, very down to earth and personable. He was also a very good instructor for two beginners such as ourselves. Assuming that if your interested in this sort of thing your in reasonably good shape, that said, it is quite tiring but I recommend planning on at least two hours if your new to surfing. Takes about twenty to thirty minutes, at most, on shore to get the basics, then paddling out to catch waves which conditions dictate how often you get a good one to ride. We had to wrap it at about 1.5 hours for our own reasons and I was bummed to not have at least another half an hour.

Visited March 2012