“Delicious Puerto Rican Food!”
Review of Tropical Gourmet

Tropical Gourmet
Ranked #49 of 115 Restaurants in Rincon
Cuisines: Caribbean
Rincon, Puerto Rico
“Delicious Puerto Rican Food!”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

If you are hungry and desiring real Puerto Rican food, at a fair price, this is the place for you.
Although not much on ambiance, the service is decent and the food delicious.
They open early for lunch, and for $7.00, you get to pick one of three "daily specials".
Very casual attire is a must. Enjoy!
Like they say here, "buen provecho'!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank edith q

Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
“No frills and yummy”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Right across the street...it's a shame we didn't notice it earlier. It's a small joint with really yummy food and fair prices. Totally casual environment. We went for dinner and got the skirt steak and the mofongo. More like YUM-ungo!

Visited March 2014
Mayaguez
“Okay Semi-Fast Food”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

NAME: Tropical Gourmet and Seafood [1]

TITLE: “Okay Semi-Fast Food” [Tripadvisor, review #41, 2 March 2014]

SUMMARY: Nothing special, but okay semi-fast seafood. Very local food of no interest to tourists. Much better than the similar “Rincon Tropical.” [2] Not recommended.

RANKING: Poor. 49TH out of 62 Restaurants in Rincon

E-MAIL: Really needs one

TELEPHONE: (787) 823-5018

WEB PAGE: They need one.

RESERVATIONS: no

HOURS OF OPERATION: I do not know

LAYOUT: An open air bar with patio furniture. Some distance from the highway fumes and noise. Large parking lot in a strip-mall. Not a bad location.

LOCALITY: PR-115, km 12.0, Plaza Bonet, Rincon, Puerto Rico 00677. Their sign is obvious. They are next to a liqueur store and a laundry.
2442 Avenue Vistamar

LATITUDE/LONGITUDE: 82.329338/67.247961

DIFFICULTY LOCATING: easy

OCCASION: A couple for lunch. We were looking for the Rincon Tropical, but could not find it. My First Mate was starving so she ordered empanadillas.

PARKING: easy, ample

SPECIALS: They post specials on a chalkboard. They had non-seafood specials for locals.

AIR-CONDITIONED: open air, rustic, wooden bar and grill

FURNITURE: patio, but comfortable

BEER: Their beers were cold, but they had none on tap.

CUISINE: Puerto Rican

MENU FORMAT: Plain print out. They gave me a copy, which I appreciated.

MENU ITEMS: They had the complete seafood menu, chicken, and meat. They have a fish burger. I may go back to try the Shark Empanadillas or the burger.

WAITRESS: Waiter was efficient, polite, and amusing.

APPETIZERS: We had the Lobster Empanidillas ($3). They were really lobster and good, but we have had much better. They have the normal full assortment of appetizers. They offer shark and chapin [2] empanidallas.

SALAD: They had the normal seafood salads, but no green salads.

ENTRÉE: They had chicken, meat, and seafood. They had a full menu.

SIDES: They had plantain, yucca, and cassava, which is good.

SALT AND PEPPER: may be packets

SILVERWARE: flimsy plastic

SERVING TIME: very quick

COST COMPARISON: For a lobster empanadilla, $3 is pretty standard. Most items on their menu are the same price you would see in a real restaurant. There are no bargains here.

BILL: accurate and handled well

COMPARISONS: We should have ordered here. Rincon Tropical was awful. This is an adequate lunch place.

RECOMMENDATIONS: Put your restaurant information online and you will have more business. You have some interesting menu items.

FOOTNOTES:
[1] “Gourmet” is, of course, a joke. This is one of the places the locals love. With all due respect to Puerto Ricans (People tell me I am a Puerto Rican, now, which the Pirate considers an honor), they like chicken and fried foods.
[2] Every seafood restaurant in Puerto Rico Rico has “Chapin” empanadillas. I think trunkfish is the best fish in the world. Almost all “Chapin” empanidallas in Puerto Rico are fake. Even the delicate flavor of the real ones cannot be tasted in the heavy tomato sauce. If 10% of the “Chapin” empanidillas sold in Puerto Rico were real, then there would not be a single trunkfish alive in the oceans of the world.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Ernest W
Hartford, Connecticut
“We won't be going back”
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Had dinner here with my wife and grandparents; and while the service was prompt and pleasant, and we enjoyed the outdoor patio dining the food was well below par and to top it off my grandfather ordered a house specialty - the Shark - and was treated to a stomach illness that evening.

We eat out substantially and don't get sick easily so this was a big disappointment.

The rest of us had Dorado (Mahi-Mahi) and it was OK quality fish but significantly over salted and the yucca in garlic sauce, which we typically love, was undercooked.

As I said, we won't be going back.

Visited February 2014
Philadelphia, Pa.
“Where Locals Go, We Go : )”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My son and I visited Rincon for a surfing vacation and whenever we travel we try to find out where the locals go for a good meal that is reasonably priced. We found it here at the Tropical Gourmet. This a is true Puerto Rican family owned and operated restaurant and although it is located next to a liquor store and laundromat in a tiny strip mall we actually had fun watching the people come and go as we enjoyed our meals in the outdoor setting. My son speaks fluent spanish and I enjoyed listening to him speak to our waitress in the native language--I am pretty sure our waitress enjoyed the conversation too. She was a sweet lady. We visited this restaurant three times during our week stay in Rincon and were pleased with every meal. I am not sure why some of the reviews were so negative---to each their own. We enjoyed this little restaurant and will keep it on our list for sure.

• Visited February 2014