“secluded, walk for miles”

Ranked #5 of 28 things to do in Rincon
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“secluded, walk for miles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

crabs scurrying about, brown pelicans soaring, calm waters, sandy bottom ocean swimming, palm lined beach stretching for miles. very quiet.

Visited January 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Lovely marina, best beach, and snorkeling opportunities!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We first stopped at Steps Beach for a bit of amateur snorkeling––and quickly realized how amateur we were. Around the steps is very rocky, and I immediately got cut up just trying to get into the more wavy winter water. Apparently things calm down in the summer months. With our subpar equipment, I was still able to see a few vibrant blue fish and lots of coral. I hope to go back and do it right next time––perhaps with a guide and some really good equipment. But, the opportunity was clear.

Walking away from the steps back towards the beach entrance, we decided to go for a swim. In this area the sandy beach literally continues straight down into the water until it completely drops off. So, there are no rocks to navigate, no algae, etc... This was one of my most favorite beach experiences ever, and I am *not* a beach person! The swimming was easy, great water temperature, not too crowded, and the views were straight from a postcard. The pictures I took are currently my iPad and computer backgrounds because it is so surreally beautiful. Really great swimming here, and I would go back in a heartbeat.

When you drive to Steps beach, you will pass the marina where many of the water-based tours set out. We drove down and parked in the parking lot to have lunch at one of the restaurants there. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name, but it was a bar and grill. It seemed like most of the businesses at the marina were owned by people who had relocated from the continental US. This made for an easy and comfortable blend of local appeal and home comfort. We had really fresh fish tacos, delicious nachos, and strong piña coladas all with a view of the ocean on an outdoor deck...in December. :-) We didn't swim at the marina, but it looked amazing as well. When I come back, I think I will do one of the guided snorkeling tours here (or at least rent high quality equipment from one of the marina stores) and swim at both Steps and the marina beach.

I say, skip San Juan beaches and come here instead.

3 Thank Tyler T
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Great place to snorkel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Not a swimming beach, but great place to snorkel. Wear reef booties to avoid any cuts from the reef.

1 Thank Shellys6
Virginia Beach, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Steps is a gorgeous place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

After spending a week in Puerto Rico, Steps Beach is one of those spots you just have to stop at. Although there wasn't a ton of "life" in the ocean the days we snorkeled it was still fun. It's family friendly and faces west for some awesome sunsets.

The downside of Steps Beach is the parking. It's very tight and sometimes you have to settle for parking on the main street.

A plus of Steps Beach is there is a place you can rent snorkel gear and buy food.

Chicago
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“We swam with a sea turtle!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed in a rental home right on Tres Palmas Marine Reserve which is a beautiful, underwater sanctuary for abundant marine life. The owners of our guest house provided snorkel gear and pointed us to the two easiest areas to access the reserve.

There's a coral reef off shore so you really want to be sure not to damage it. We found Steps Beach to be the easiest point of entry as did many of our fellow swimmers. Once we got about five feet off shore we saw fish aplenty (Doris & Nemos) in various assorted shapes and colors. Most were less than a foot long.

My youngest daughter, who is terrified of sharks, even dove down to explore the beautiful fans and swaying corals. We didn't see any lobster but we did get to swim with a sea turtle!

If snorkeling isn't your thing, sit on the beach and listen to the waves crashing agains the shore. Even is the surf isn't particularly choppy there's still a crash because of the rock just off shore. There are lots of big trees that hang over the water so shade is plentiful much of the day. THIS IS THE PLACE TO WATCH THE SUNSET and many people come out each evening to celebrate the end of day.

Visited January 2014