“Good small operation”

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Good small operation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I enjoyed my diving 2 tank dive. With only 4 other people it was a nice dive with only a couple of minor issues.

We started off from the beach with us the divers, helping load the boat. Rincon needs their Marina reopened! Without a marina it keeps Taino from offering the normal service level I am use too. Being able to recognize this I was able to get over the inconveniences. The first dive was lead by the owner (Carson). It was enjoyable and fun. It was to windy for Desecheo Island, so we were just off shore in calmer waters. The second dive was not as fun, Carson stayed on the boat and he let one of his staff lead the dive. The leader was also teaching a student for her open water cert. The dive started off nice, but soon the teacher and student were heading up for the boat (out of air?). I was left with 2100 psi and told to stay around the boat. Since I didn't set up an official "buddy" I didn't feel like wondering off too far. Being left with nothing to explore and over half my air it felt like a wasted dive. I also didn't feel to comfortable with the gear. As a tourist diver I like the Integrated BC with weights system and having to wear a weight belt sucked. The regulators were ok, but trusting them is something that is critical and if I was to ever dive with these guys again I would bring my own.

I also really like some fresh water to clean gear and maybe a rinse on the boat after the dives, but again with no marina they have no way of filling a holding tank for that.

Again overall I had a good time, they have two small boats and keep the operation small.

Visited January 2013

Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent Discover Dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went on the afternoon Discover Dive cruise to the national reserve very close to the marina. Our captain "Miami" Dave and dive master Wally were both just awesome. They were so positive about diving all of us are planing to get PADI certified so we are ready for an open water dive when we return. My daughter was a little freaked and Wally was very patient. He made sure to take things slow and when we finally all made it to the bottom it was amazing. We saw a beautiful Lion fish which Wally informed us was non-native and had no predictors. So he speared it and brought it back for his dinner. It is not a fancy operation, but totally fits with the rustic surfer vibe of Rincon. Highly recommended!

Visited December 2012
2 Thank WesDripTX
New York City, New York
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Top notch dive operation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

What these guys lack in the form of a pier (manual loading of equipment onto the boat before departure which they turn into a fun group experience), is totally forgotten as soon as they tie up to the mooring at Desecheo.

These were fantastic dives and the surface interval was great. From the vegetarian pasta salad to the divemaster Wally making lion fish sushimi for those of us willing to be adventurous.

These guys really do know how to keep it fun all the time and the 100+ foot visibility that we saw at Desecheo wasn't too shabby either!

2 Thank Stewart S
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Taino Divers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Kind of a rinky dink operation here. There is no marina so loading and unloading the boat is a team effort...not a big deal but it was unexpected.
They screwed up our reservation...we had 2 divers and 2 newbs who signed up for 'exploratory' dives. Well...the newbs ended up just snorkeling b/c the crew was understaffed. I was still diving but it was a big let down for the kids.

Other than (mis)management issues the water was clear and the diving was good. I will dive Rincon / Desecheo again...however I will do a little more research next time.

Visited December 2012
Calgary
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I are avid snorkellers. We'd heard about Desecheo Island and how fabulous the snorkelling and diving was. It was high on our list of places to go in Rincon. We booked with Taino Divers for $180.00 and had high expectations.

A couple of things people should know, if they plan on this trip like we did. First, they use a small boat, and that means a slow trip there and back. On the way back you will get very wet and very cold due to the wind and spray. There is no shelter from the sea spray. Second, you will be expected to help the crew load and unload supplies and air tanks from their boat. Make sure you don't drop a tank on your toes.

Desecheo Island is a reserve so you cannot go on land. That was fine with us. Perhaps, this is a better experience if you dive rather than snorkel. However, if you plan on just snorkelling, the experience does not live up to the hype.

You will have a better snorkelling experience if you go to "Steps" near the Black Eagle Marina. It is a marine reserve that you can access from the beach. It is regarded by many as the best snorkelling site in Rincon. In my opinion, that coral reef is more virbrant than anything you will see on your Desecheo Island excursion.

Visited March 2012