“Follow the Elephants to This Thai Gem”
Review of Ode to the Elephants - CLOSED

Ode to the Elephants
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Ode to the Elephants offers authentic Thai flavors prepared by Chef Kevin Ngowusan. The restaurant overlooks Sandy Beach in Barrio Puntas, Rincon. A definite MUST dining experience in Puerto Rico.
Pittsburgh, PA
“Follow the Elephants to This Thai Gem”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

At first I was a bit nervous about setting out after dark to find this restaurant, which sits a few turns off a "main" road. (If you've been to PR, you know that I'm referring to the narrow hidden side streets, which are often driveways in disguise.) However, the hand drawn map in the edition of "Buen Provecho Rincon" was accurate and got us there without any wrong turns. We headed up the stairs to find a dining room, and were immediately led out to the balcony, which overlooked the moonlit sea. It was an astounding view, even at night.

The Thai food was delicious. I had the Massaman curry with both chicken and tofu. Very flavorful, but not too spicy. Actually, the spiciest thing I ordered was ginger tea. Holy ginger! I have never in my days consumed anything as gingery before! What a unique beverage. My husband, being the non-pregnant one, was free to order from the extensive martini list. He tried the cucumber martini and found it to be refreshing and not too sweet. The owner, Clay, also stopped by to check on us and enticed the hubby into ordering an after-dinner Guatemalan rum. Again, he reports that it hit the spot.

We really enjoyed this meal, the atmosphere, and the service. If you are in the mood for Thai, or just a cocktail, check this place out...just make sure that you have really good directions (Clay mentioned that he has a website up with Google maps directions if you can't find a copy of "Buen Provecho".)

Newport News, VA
“Thai in Rincon!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We've been coming to Rincon for a few years now but just found out about this place when our daughters came down on a short holiday with their husbands. The food was delicious and have their levels of spiciness clearly marked. We went after dark, so - YES - quite difficult to find.
Use "Casa Verde Inn" as your landmark when heading over to this restaurant. (From Casa Verde (on your right), drive UP the hill, then make the first right - downhill - then first left - very tight turn, almost a u-turn). The locals were very helpful in finding the right place.

The food was a delight - and although we really wanted to eat local cuisine, like mofongo and rice and beans, this stop was well worth it! Their drink menu was terrific. We especially liked their ginger white tea martini.

One thing about local cuisine is it lacks in vegetables (broccoli, carrots, etc). This was a welcome change from all the fried food and root vegetables which we love so much.

The waitress was wonderful and attentive - and her recommendations were right on target. We plan on returning on our next trip back!

Oh - and the price was incredibly reasonable with most non-seafood dishes at 11$ and shrimp dishes at 13$.

Hato Rey, Puerto Rico
“Worst waiter i have ever had EVER.”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The food is average at best, location is super beautiful so that was a plus. But the Douc* bag waiter we had was so rude it was worse than anything I have ever encountered EVER and i have traveled much of the world. I think he may have spit in our water (i ordered a beer with cap on). Stay away this place there are much better options in the lovely town of Rincon. I blame it on management which obviously has no care of how its staff acts. I would rather eat a roadside empanada than go to this place again..

2 Thank Brick Q
“A hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We stumbled upon this restaurant on a recent visit to rincon and we couldn't have been happier that we did. With guests from Australia who were somewhat conesuires on Asian cuisine I was really hoping to have a good experience. Ode to elephants produced food way beyond our expectations and along with the friendly service and amazing views, this restaurant was one of the highlights of our trip to Puerto Rico. A big thank you to the staff and the chef for a superb meal.

“The highlight of our weekend getaway!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I went recently to Rincon for a short getaway to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary. OTTE was the first place we visited (we literally dropped our bags in the room and left for the restaurant!). Even though we were staying at the oher side of he hill where the rest is located, it was a little difficult to find, but as soon as we got out of the car, we knew we were in for quite an experience. The waiter was really friendly and explained the menu very well and enthusiastically, and even recommended a great wine for our meal. The spring rolls we ordered for our appetizers came really quick and were delicious, especially the awesome carrot dipping sauce! The main courses were really delicious as well, I had the ginger sauce w/shrimp and my husband had the sole dinner, which was spectacular, easily the best fish either one of us has ever tasted!!!! The food is absolutely great and the staff really friendly. We even met the owner, who joined us for a smoke and some chitchat downstairs and he was really friendly and charming... we will most definitely be going back there as soon as possible and we even know what we're gonna order!!!

1 Thank mellowMaryDi