“Everything We Needed for Our Beach Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Cofresi Hotel

Villa Cofresi Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rincon
Connecticut
“Everything We Needed for Our Beach Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel was perfect for what we wanted - clean rooms with an oceanfront location. We were really impressed with all of the staff with whom we interacted. We needed to check in and out very early in the morning (essentially overnight) and were assisted by the very helpful security staff. We had three wonderful servers at dinner (we ate in the restaurant twice - we found the food to be fine but especially loved the friendliness of the servers and the view overlooking the water). We also had many interactions with the front desk / front office staff and found them to be more than accommodating in answering our questions and helping us with our reservations.

We stayed at Hotel Villa Cofresi at the beginning and end of a week-long trip around Puerto Rico. We originally had reservations for the least expensive rooms - the efficiencies that don't include breakfast. They are in a building across the street from the main property. While they were clean, we definitely got what we paid for - no frills and, since we were not at the main property, we did not feel like we were on a beach vacation. I also found the room to be a bit noisy, though it's not on a busy road. When I requested that we be moved to a room that was quieter, the front desk staff went above and beyond to accommodate us. They upgraded us to an oceanfront room and even took us to see two options and let us decide which would best suit our needs. The manager then made a point to provide us with the same experience at the end of our trip, offering a room of the same quality for a very small increase in rate (we thought this was worth it and highly recommend spending an extra few dollars to stay at the main property).

Before booking Hotel Villa Cofresi, we read the reviews on TripAdvisor and were somewhat concerned about the reports of noise from the bar. The bar does play music into the evening. However, we were appreciative of having a bar/restaurant on the property to provide some entertainment, enjoy the sunset, etc. Given our positive interactions with the staff, I would think that they would do their best to honor requests for a quiet room whenever possible. When we moved to the oceanfront rooms, we were in a wing of the hotel that did not overlook the bar and could not hear any noise. We came to the beach to relax and still found the bar / restaurant area to be more of an amenity than a detractor.

Why not 5 stars? The hotel is by no means "luxurious", but it has all of the amenities we needed for our vacation at the beach (clean rooms, great view, nice pool area, etc.). We really enjoyed having the beach right in front of the hotel, but several of the chairs on the beach are broken and should be replaced. During our second stay, we also had a problem with our toilet (the tank was very slow to fill so it functioned but was inconvenient). We called several times, and maintenance came several times, but the problem was never really resolved.

Despite these two minor issues, we had a great stay at Hotel Villa Cofresi. For me, customer service is critical to my experience as a guest, and Hotel Villa Cofresi really excelled in this area. (And the view can't be beat!) If we were to return to Rincon, we would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Incredibly accommodating staff and unmatched location in Rincon - you are literally meters from the surf.

I was greeted by Rita, who owns the hotel with her family. She offered a room tour and facility walk through and was very informative about Rincon. You're really going to enjoy your stay at Cofresi.

I'm already planning my next business trip to PR and Villa Cofresi.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel is certainly a fun tropical getaway - complete with karaoke, live music and drinks served in fresh coconuts. Entertainment also includes a mini arcade, pool tables and a zumba class offered once during our stay. The staff is friendly, courteous and very accommodating. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a clean, comfortable, laid back beach vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Moneta, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Nice hotel if you are ok with just the basics. Clean and steps away from the beach. My only issue was the slow response we received when there was an issue with the cable being out in our room. I was given a blanket response ‘it’s out for the whole town’. However cable was working two streets down when we went for dinner’. They assumed it was the town and never placed a call.

I know who comes to a beach hotel and worries about cable. But it was a rainy day and I was traveling with a 7 year old. 

Room Tip: Room 224 is one of the lower rated rooms, but right on the edge of the hotel with a great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
DC Metro
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I'm saddened by the reviews that make this place out to be a dump. It's not. It's a very basic beach hotel that provides what you need. For my family of 3, we had 2 comfortable beds and enough space in the room (although we weren't in the room much). Yes, the bathroom was small, but so is mine at home. The lobby, bar/restaraunt area and pool are all open and connected, so if you want something quiet, request a room away from all that. We were in #117, and were not bothered by noise at all. Many people are here for a break and to relax. Yes, drinking and dancing at the bar were part of that (much to the entertainment of my 10 year old). But no one was obnoxious. While we were there, there were mostly families, and perhaps a few younger spring-breakers. The beach is small, but the waves were gentle enough for some water time. One caution - use water shoes, as there were a lot of broken bottles/glass on the beach (newly broken with jagged edges, I know beach glass usually isn't sharp). Don't blame the hotel for the piggish guests who don't know how to take care of their trash. We encountered many friendly people, with the exception of 1 lady behind the front desk who scowled at me every time I asked a question. I can see going back.

Room Tip: There is a quiet section in a building away from the pool area (where #117 is).
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ctsb1903
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just stayed here with my husband. We were hoping only for a basic hotel: a place to sleep and shower. this hotel didn't even provide that. I don't understand where the raving reviews come from but I certainly don't agree. don't get me wrong, I've stayed at my fair share of sketchy places without complaint but for 145 a night I can't believe the shoddiness of this place. no hot or even warm water and music so loud in the lobby it was impossible to sleep. the beach was filthy with bags of Doritos, broken beach chairs, and coconut hulls strewn everywhere. on top of that it was crowded and rooms were totally out of date. would MAYBE pay 35$ for it but certainly not worth what they charge. look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank funrun33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,435 reviews
Royal Isabela
Royal Isabela
#1 of 6 in Isabela

Been to Villa Cofresi Hotel? Share your experiences!