“Great Hotel, Great Pirate”

Villa Cofresi Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rincon
Maplewood, NJ
“Great Hotel, Great Pirate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2008

My friend and I just returned from the Villa Cofresi after a 4 day stay. I was told to stay there by a coworker who said it was a clean, friendly, and accomodating hotel with a private beach. The hotel lived up to my expectations.

The staff was very helpful with restaurant suggestions, places to visit, and arranging a taxi to the airport. (As a side note, I wish I had rented a car as driving is neccessary to see most of Rincon.)

The beach was small but very clean and I never had trouble getting a lounge chair. The pool was less than fatastic but who needs a pool when you have a calm, clean ocean to swim in.

My room was ocean front on the first floor. As read in many reviews the bar can be noisy, so its best to stay in a room far from the bar, which I did and it was perfect. All I heard at night was the crashing waves.

My only complaint is the service at the bar. I felt ignored often by the bar tenders. It took over 5 minutes to get my drink order most of the time. I actually walked away frustrated several times without a drink because I couldn't wait any longer. If you can get your drink, make sure it's Cofresi's famous Pirate. It's served in a freshly cut coconut and it's delicious!

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the bartenders
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2008

Just returned from Villa Confresi spending one evening. I was travelling with two others and they offered a two bedroom unit. which was $160.00 per night including continental breakfast. The hotel itself is right on a great beach, has a great beach bar overlooking the beach and the fabulous sunset. The drinks are great, the restaurant at this hotel is also very good. The rooms are dated to the 1970's. They are in need a renovating big time. The bathrooms are old, musty and not very clean. If you don't mind all of the above go there for the beach and bar, other than that don't stay there.

Stayed April 2008
LalaRincon_P_R_, owner and manager at Villa Cofresi Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2008
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. It was our pleasure to have you with us. This is a high demand apartment since it is the only two-bedroom apartment with ocean view. We have remodeled 95% of the rooms in the hotel. This apartment is next. The kitchen and the bathroom vanity have been ordered. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope to have you with us again in the very near future.
Central Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

A neighbor who is from Rincon recommended this lodging. From the moment we started working with the staff to plan our vacation (we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary) we noticed that our requests were treated with prompt response. The staff, including housekeeping and security, greeted us warmly and the front desk personnel bent over backwards to treat us with kindness. The manager treated us with great courtesy and allowed us to use the hotel computer printer when our laptop did not work. The food and beverage manager and restaurant staff geniunely made our celebration the best ever and truly served the absolute best food we tasted anywhere on the island. The bar staff was entertaining and quick to serve.

All in all we would highly recommend this hotel to travelers. The rooms are not plush but very nice and well appointed. The hotel is on the beach with all the aminities (beachside shower, lounge chairs, etc.). The bar is a major hotspot on weekends but the staff handles parking well and we were never bothered by the noise.

Rincon has beautiful beaches and genuinely nice people. Everyone there seems to exhibit a love of life and an energy we have never witnessed anywhere else.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank MandMCentralFlorida
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed for four nights. We had a room on the third floor facing the ocean. It was 167 USD or so per night. This room was worth every penny. The hotel itself was cute, right on the beach, and very clean. I recommend if you are there for quiet and ocean view you request the full ocean view with balcony. We loved the balcony and spent each night watching the sunset from it. The rooms were clean and the maid service excellent. The staff was very accommodating. The beach was not the cleanest but for the money I have no complaints. It was tolerable and this time of year we had no problem finding a chair. We walked on the beach everyday, swam every morning in the ocean, and ate at the very fine restaurant right in the hotel. The bar is loud at night and i don't think we could have stayed in a room near it. Again, request the ocean view room they feature on the website. It is worth it.

• Liked — Clean room and great service. Great Balcony.
  • Disliked — The location of the bar although i don't see it going anywhere.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
amityville, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

My husband & I stayed in this hotel for 1 week. It was honestly one of the best places we've ever been (and we travel alot). The beach is beautiful , the pool was a perfect size for the kids, the decor of the hotel was adorable and the food in the hotel and the surrounding restaurants was amazing. The hotel is a very relaxing, perfect place to visit. It's not over the top and that what makes it so great. When it was time to go home we didn't want to leave. We actually are going back in april of this year.

• Liked — It was a nice place to visit.
  • Disliked — The attitude of the staff. Sometime, more often then not they were nasty.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank humann4
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2008

This was our third time at Villa Cofresi and everytime it gets better. The place is for singles and families as well. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. They would do their best to get you what you ask for. The pool is average size but nice and clean. They also have a small kids pool which is great. The bar is right by the beach and the drinks are big and cheap. You have to get that COCO PIRATA drink but don't drink too many of them because you will suffer the next day. They have a restaurant with great food but kind of pricey. They serve continental breakfast everyday and have a variety of grilled foods they cook at the bar. Overall is great and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Great customer service
  • Disliked — The food in the restaurant was kind of pricey
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank borinqueny
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2008

If you come to Rincon - which I strongly recommend - you won't find a better place to stay than this family run hotel. It's right on the beach, the rooms are beautiful and well maintained, and the staff are super friendly and helpful. Villa Cofresi is managed by a lovely lady called Sandra Caro, and her husband Tito. It's big enough to offer the facilities you'd expect from a larger, more expensive establishment, but not so big that it loses the personal touch.

I stayed at Villa Cofresi with my girlfriend over Christmas 2007 and the New Year. We had looked at a number of hotels including "Rincon of the Seas" next door (overpriced and lacking atmosphere) and smaller guest houses (too basic and in some cases, not very clean) and, because we arrived very late and hadn't made any plans, stayed our first night in the “Lazy Parrot” (quaint, but cramped, and miles from the beach).

When we arrived at the hotel we were immediately made to feel very welcome by Sandra and her staff. Could we borrow an iron? No problem - we were given one to keep for the whole fortnight. Do you have any parasols for the beach? Two appeared the following day, and again these were ours to use throughout our stay. When we wanted to hire jet-skis they negotiated a discount for us. Nothing was too much trouble - we were made to feel completely at home from the moment we arrived till the morning we sadly had to wave goodbye.

The one event which really stands out above all others as an example of this hotel's fantastic attitude towards its guests is the way Sandra and Tito helped us with a shopping trip to Mayaguez.* We asked at reception for someone to call us a taxi to take us to the big shopping mall in Mayaguez, about 40 minutes' drive away. They tried a few numbers but no one was available for a few hours, which would have been too late. We were debating whether we should book someone to take us the following morning when Sandra appeared and asked us if she could help. She immediately told us that Tito had to go into Mayaguez anyway and would gladly take us with him. He did so, and would have waited for us to shop but we knew we were going to be a few hours and said we would find a taxi to bring us back. Well, we did a lot of good shopping, but the next day I realised that because of a mix-up I had left my bank card in one of the shops. Once again Sandra was brilliant. First she called around the shops to find my card and then said that she would pick it up for me in the evening as she had to go there to buy a few things for the hotel's New Year celebrations. She delivered it back to me personally at 10.30 that night. How many hotel managers do you know who would go the extra mile like this?

We were told that Villa Cofresi has been owned by Sandra's family for a number of years, possibly ever since it was founded. This is what makes all the difference. As owner managers, rather than mere members of staff working for some anonymous proprietor, Sandra and Tito instinctively understand that the success of their business depends on total customer satisfaction, and that's exactly what they give. The hotel has a genuine family atmosphere, with everyone working together to provide their guests with everything they need to enjoy their stay. As well as being ideal for couples like us - you can always find a quiet corner! - Villa Cofresi is also perfect for guests with children, because the beach bar (the only one along this stretch of coast, as far as we could see) allows parents who want to enjoy a drink or meal to keep an eye on their children swimming a few yards away.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend Villa Cofresi highly enough - just go there and you will see for yourselves. This is a special place run by special people.

* I should explain that we made the mistake of not hiring a car for our stay in Puerto Rico. We have travelled all around the Caribbean, and everywhere else the easiest way to get around is to hail a taxi or, more often, one of the locals who ferry people around to earn some extra cash. In Puerto Rico generally there aren't many taxis, in Rincon hardly any at all, so if you're planning to do any sightseeing you really do need to hire. Unfortunately we hadn't brought our drivers licences so we had to make do as best we could.

• Liked — Dedication of staff, location (next to beach, near shops)
  • Disliked — No internet room, but they have WiFi access so bring your laptop
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sebastian_D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,761 reviews
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco

Been to Villa Cofresi Hotel? Share your experiences!