“Dingy flop house”

Villa Cofresi Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Villa Cofresi is a beach hotel in the beautiful town of Rincon, Puerto Rico. How to put this delicately... it was slapped up in the 60s and has been crumbling ever since. Our room was reminiscent of a flop house. A bed with rough sheets and mildewy pillows. Towels with the grit (and thickness) of rough sandpaper. Sticky floors in the room. A general stank of mildew everywhere.

Amenities? The breakfast is pretty blech. White bread bagels and instant wafels tossed on a table next to a toaster. The strip of sand next to the hotel is probably so teensy because they built way to close to the ocean and guess what? Beaches without protection erode. There are tons of beautiful beaches in this part of the island but the Villa Confresi isn't on one.

There's a bar that can get crowded. To be honest, it wasn't our crowd. It seemed like a mix of middle aged tourists and middle aged single locals. A nice enough place to watch the sun set over the water. The only downside is the bartenders are really slow, crowded or not. They also seem shocked when you want to charge a beer to your room, as though it's a huge hassle to want to do such a thing in a hotel bar.

One tip: If you want to sleep past 7am, don't get a room near the pool. That's what we started with. A few mornings of screaming kids and we changed it.

To the hotel's credit, the staff is friendly and efficient. Our room change was zero hassle and they sent somebody to help with our bags. Questions about the area were gladly answered.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the pool if you want to sleep in the morning. It gets loud.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank santrellos

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

It was great overall o stayed there for my honeymoon last december 15, almost a week ago for 3 days and ir was cool, i would really like to come back another time, food was good, room was good, the only thing I didn't like was when the waiters manager just got into one of the waiters when a person tried to order something out of the menu and he started yelling screaming at him and I almost got mad out of that cause if you are mad or your employe did something wrong you took him a part and talked to him no infront of all the people there, I was waiter at Holliday inn, Manhattan and I never got disrespected like that, I almost stand from my sit and talked This guy myself, but didn't do it, first of all, nobody is perfect and can loose some worda in English, and second he explained what they have in the menu, it's not the waiter problem that thus persons that had being ordering where drunk with the famous coco piratas and can't even stand by themselves and were demanding and not understanding ordering, and the other part, pool was freezing like hell, I entered to take a swim and I didn't stay for more than 5 min, overall they are a great hotel and I recommend it, just change those few things and you are an awesome hotel

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was a bit skeptical at first because I had visited the bar before I had stayed there and to be honest, it didn't looked fancy at all. I stayed there one night for my 1st anniversary, this place has an amazing sentimental value for me and if I had known that it was so good, I would had stayed there longer.

The staff were friendly, the room was spotless and the food was great. I don't know if it was because of how tired I was, but I did slept like a princess in the bed. I found it really comfortable.

If you tend to sleep at day and stay awake at night you will have an awful time looking for places to eat, besides a Burger King (yuck!) everything was closed before midnight.

The hotel is at the beach shore, and we were allowed to stay there, at 3:00am which was very romantic because we gazed at the star, and for my luck, I experienced a "shooting star rain".

I will love to go back there!!

1  Thank wenped
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This review is so overdue ...
We stayed at Hotel Villa Cofresi in mid-September for three nights. We were part of a group of six couples. I kid you not; we did NOT want to leave. This family-run hotel is second to none as far as its spirit. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming. We LOVED the mix of travelers and locals. And all of the bartenders, staff, and waiters/waitresses were friendly and fun. By day or by night, the ocean-side location can't be beat. The rooms are spacious and airy and decorated in a tropical motif. We left our window slightly open at night to be able to hear the wonderful ocean waves. Villa Cofresi has earned the right to brag about the sunsets ~ they were beautiful! We long to return and have promised to do so! To the staff: thank you, thank you, thank you! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year from your friends in Milwaukee!

Room Tip: Splurge a little and get a room facing the ocean --- you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Here There and Everywhere
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Cute in a corporate but not kinda way! Family owned which is amazing. Food was good. Looked amazing via presentation. Not as "local" as I like but it is what it is. Lots of annoying tourists/gringos but what can u expect. It's a tourist spot I get it. And they should take full advantage of it, it's a tourist area.

Regardless of that stuff it was good, chill, and medium priced. Rite on the beach which makes it sick

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Eataway
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great hotel with a fantastic view of the ocean from just about everywhere on the property.
Reasonable prices(at least in the off season), great service, great food, and a very fun bar.
We spent a little extra on a room with a private balcony and an ocean view. This turned out to be a great choice because it separated us from the party atmosphere and loud music of the bar and let my fiancee and I watch the sunset over the water in relative peace.
Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try the "Coco Pirata"
2  Thank JimmyDiego
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed for a weekend in October and it was our first time there. Hotel is well organized, very clean and staff is very friendly, service is great! Even a ZUMBA class near the beach. The bartenders at the bar were so funny, and the Pirate Special Coconut drink surely memorable.
Weather was great and beach walk and sunsets simply SPECTACULAR!!!!!

We surely will be back with friends and family!

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony with beach view...priceless
1  Thank Lourdes J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
#1 of 6 in Isabela
Malecon House
Malecon House
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to Villa Cofresi Hotel? Share your experiences!