“Right on the Ocean!”

LemonTree Oceanfront Cottages
Ranked #3 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Rincon
Reviewed February 5, 2011

The Lemontree Oceanfront Cottages were delightful. The porches overlook the ocean and you can literally walk down the steps and onto the beach. The beach is narrow and at high tide, laps up against the suites' foundation. The facilities are clean, the beds are comfortable and the kitchen is well-equipped. It is easy to sleep with the sound of ocean waves through the window and sea breezes. Bella Jane is a very helpful and personable owner who shares tips about local restaurants and sites. We would highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gaboinkel

Reviewed August 27, 2010

My partner and I are avid travelers and have seen most of the island of puertorico and stayed in many high end hotels and small guest houses. Our stay at the lemontree in Rincon Puertorico couldn't have been better. Our room on the top floor of Bella Jane and Teds tropical guest house was clean and comfortable, with its own kitchen, refrigerator and plenty of cool ocean breeze. The view is absolutely breath taking, i must say this is the best bang you are gonna get for your buck in Rincon. My partner and I were looking for a place to relax and get away, we didn't want to stay at some big fancy resort. The lemontree was just perfect for us. The beach is just down the steps and the hotel is close to many of the islands greatest attractions, with the caves of Camuy and tons of exciting surfing beaches just a short car ride away. We started every morning with a quick breakfast in our own kitchen and then we were off for an adventure! The last two nights of our stay we were so pooped from all of our travels we just decided to stay in and that was just as fantastic.
I can't wait to float with a medalla in my hand just above lemontree reef. Sometimes I close my eyes and breathe deeply i can almost hear the surf.
I recommend Lemontree to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveljunkie1987
Reviewed August 24, 2010

The LemonTree has become a staple of my summer travels. We always say that we want to try a different island in the Caribbean - but we continue returning to Puerto Rico, and a great deal of that has to do with the draw of the LemonTree.

The LemonTree's suites are incredibly cozy and tastefully decorated. Each suite has a balcony (we typically stay in the one bedroom suites, named after tropical fruits). The balcony really gives a tremendous view of the ocean and, surprisingly, feels entirely private. It's nice to be able to spend a day walking up and down the beach, to return to a clean room that is right on that same beach. There's something to be said for the beach life, and the Tree really gives you that feeling. You can be a beach bum or you can go and explore the charming shops in the "pueblo," which is right nearby (but you would need to take the car to get there).

The hosts, Ted and Bella, are the perfectly discrete and are exactly what I would have hoped for. They were always there when I needed help (turning the grill on, in New York, we don't use propane often) but not intrusive when we were hoping to just get away from it all.

I have told several of my friends about the LemonTree and all have thanked me for recommending it when they have returned. I feel recharged, fresh, and just entirely ready (but still somewhat unwilling) to return to the work grind after my stay at the Tree. My co-workers always comment on my spirit (and my tan) when I come back. I guess it just makes me happier. When it gets to be the summer, I use the beach photos that I took on my trip to Puerto Rico to help me grind it out until I am able to clock out and recharge again.

I would really recommend these beach cottages to anyone looking for a fun vacation spot. The price is entirely right and you can’t ask for a more beautiful setting.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sherlock411
Reviewed August 20, 2010

If you are looking for privacy and a relaxing time in a nice clean cottage DO NOT come to the Lemontree Oceanfront Cottages, Rincon, Puerto Rico. The owners are constantly barging into your room without being invited. On our first day I was sleeping in my room with my husband, when the owner barged in the house after my daughter opened the door to see who was knocking. The owner was aware that we were all sleeping but insisted in coming into the house to close our room doors because we were accused of inappropriately using the air conditioner. Another evening we left the premises and returned shortly after to find that the owners had entered our cottage without our consent to investigate our air conditioning usage. Nonetheless, the entire house is extremely hot and does not receive much of a draft from outside, and the owners have the audacity to complain when you put on the air conditioner and the fans. The owners speak to you in a patronizing manner, dictating what and how you can live your life while staying at the Lemontree; while aggressively enforcing the rules and regulations of the facilities. My vacation went from staying “en la isla de encanto” to a nightmare in a prison cell. Additionally, the floors are disgustingly dirty and never properly cleaned; I was unable to walk bare foot on the floor my entire stay. There are many incidental charges that you are unaware of until the last day of your stay. You are charged an extra fee ($48) for cleaning services when they do not even change the bed sheets or give you fresh towels. The bathrooms are never cleaned as well, and the toilet and shower have a thick scum residue all along their walls. Furthermore, if you happen to damage their old grimy decrepit linens that are not changed or washed during your stay you will be charged a $60 linen fee. Lastly, there is one last $60 fee that you are charged if you leave without cleaning after yourself, on top of the already charged departure cleaning fee of $48. Many of the light bulbs are not functional and light during the night hours is very minimal. There is dust all over the place, so when you arrive please be prepared to clean the entire house yourself. Overall, my stay at the Lemontree Oceanfront Cottage was a disaster and I highly do not recommend it. If you enjoy being dictated to, disrespected, cleaning on your vacation, and not having any privacy at all, then I recommend the Lemontree because you will find all of that here including a non-existent beach front.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank Customer254
LemonTree, Owner at LemonTree Oceanfront Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2010

Rarely, does a review so miss the mark that one might wonder if there is something else that has brought out the reviewer’s comments. Once these guests had been here a couple of days, I realized that some were heavy smokers. I personally counseled these guests about smoking in their rooms. Smoking in any hotel property in Puerto Rico subjects the owner and guests to very substantial fines. We are charged with maintaining a smoke free environment at our property. The Lemontree, like other hotels, has signs posted in all of the rooms to this effect. Upon their departure, as per the policies of the Lemontree to which these guests agreed, we charged a $100 cleaning fee to remove smoke film and odor from draperies, windows, walls and bedding.
These guests left their windows and doors open while running their air conditioner, perhaps to vent smoke, but also rendering the air conditioning inefficient. We ask guests who run their air conditioning to close doors and windows to allow the air conditioners to do their jobs. Our goal is for every guest to be comfortable on our property. To that end, all suites are serviced daily by housekeeping staff. The rooms are thoroughly swept and dusted, trash removed, and towels refreshed. Linens are changed regularly or as often as a guest may request, no questions asked. Prior to rental, the suites are thoroughly checked for lights, appliances, TV/DVD and cable to ensure that all are in working order. We hope that guests will let us know if something in the suite needs attention.

Lemontree is a small boutique property. It offers privacy, oceanfront accommodations, and an opportunity to have a vacation by the sea. Because we are not a large, branded hotel, we look for guests who will make a good fit with what we have to offer. In the case of Customer254, the fit wasn’t there. Trip Advisor reviews are useful to both respective clients and owners because they help to assure a happy match.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Lemontreee was located along a beautiful stretch of deserted beach and was very peaceful but I believe in providing everything advertised! We were not allowed to use the washer and dryer as advertised because the owner claimed the laundry room was
"too small". If that's the case, then don't suggest that these devices are available to use! That is one of the very reasons I use vacations rentals. Rooms were nothing to write home about, cable TV kept going out, my sister's bedroom was full of flying insects. There are other places along the 429 to stay and I intend to try another place when I return to Rincon next year. The Lemontree is way overpriced!!!

• Stayed: June 2010
5  Thank AngelaBrewer
LemonTree, Owner at LemonTree Oceanfront Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2010

We were delighted to read that “AngelaBrewer” appreciated our deserted beaches and peaceful surroundings. Our location on 429, the Caribbean side of Rincon, is especially attractive for guests who wish to relax and enjoy what nature offers. There are a few points that do need clarification. First, the Lemontree Oceanfront Cottages is not a vacation rental property. The Lemontree a small hotel and the owners live on site. We are available to our guests should they have questions or concerns or just like some time to chat. We don’t leave our guests high and dry. It is for this reason that I was really surprised to read the complaints that “AngelaBrewer” offered because during the 6 days she was with us, I saw her daily and she never shared these concerns with me. Every time I saw her she seemed very happy and relaxed. It is true that our laundry facility is not available to guests and we have never advertised it as being available to our guests. There is an inexpensive and easily accessible laundromat in Rincon to which I direct our guests. During the time of “AngelaBrewer’s” June stay, we, like all other hotels on the coast, did receive our annual visit by June bugs that mate, drop their wings and die during a couple days in June. All of our windows have screens and yet despite every effort, I’m sure a few made it through. This is just one of those quirky features of living in the tropics. Another feature of the tropics is the summer thunderstorm. Sometimes these storms will take out cable TV for an hour or two, and the Cable company has been quite diligent about restoring service promptly. “AngelaBrewer’s” note reminds me that as good general advice to guests everywhere, if there is something that doesn’t meet your expectations, it is important to let the hosts know. There is not much we can do about amorous June bugs or stormy weather that might effect television reception, but we are dedicated and go the distance to make sure our guests are happy and comfortable.

Reviewed May 3, 2010

We liked the Lemontree's Mango room a lot. The main room was quite large and the bedroom was big enough. The deck area had a roof and was large.
It's easy to get to.
Negatives - the shower sucked. It wouldn't hold a temperature for more than a minute or so. We constantly had to hop in and out to avoid being scalded or frozen. Any adjustment we made took minutes to reach the shower head, so you'd adjust, find out it's too hot, adjust again, find out it's too cold, and then when you'd get it right, it'd change again in a minute.
They have wifi but it wouldn't work in our room. We had to go downstairs to use it. Once connected, we could get it to work for a little while in the room, but couldn't connect in the room at all.
There is a beach, but since the small waves wash right up to the foot of the building, you can't sit on it and stay dry. B/c of comments on this on this site, we checked it out at different times of the day - at NO time could you sit on the beach and stay dry.
All in all, we liked it, thought the price was reasonable, but the wife would have liked to have been able to sit on the beach in the evenings and read.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mccourt49
Reviewed April 10, 2010

The Lemontree was our home in paradise! We found the accommodations to be just as described. We stayed in the Coco suite which was perfect for our needs. The room was clean with simple, tasteful furnishings. The kitchen was very well-equipped with everything that we needed. We immediately felt at home. The view from the large deck is spectacular! If you love being by the ocean, the only way to get closer is to be on a boat. Just look over the edge of the deck to see the water lapping at the edge of the beach. While some may want more of a beach, we appreciated being on the deck so close to the water without getting sandy. It’s just a few steps down to the beach and you are at the water. Beach walks were very easy with the sand packed down. It’s possible to walk a nice distance in either direction. We also snorkeled on a reef right in front of the Lemontree. The sound of the water at night was peaceful. There was no need for an air conditioner with the gentle breeze from the ocean and the ceiling fan. Owners Bella Jane and Ted were great hosts. They responded quickly when needed, but otherwise we had our space to ourselves. We’re already looking forward to our next visit to the Lemontree!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Happybythewater
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco
Dos Angeles Del Mar Bed and Breakfast

Been to LemonTree Oceanfront Cottages? Share your experiences!