“reasonable price, authentic food, sloooooow service”
Review of Rincon Tropical Restaurant - CLOSED

Rincon Tropical Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our first night out for a meal was to this typical Puerto Rican restaurant. It is similar to the food stands located on the highways, but with more selections. I had mofongo with caldo (broth) and carne and it was excellent. We alo sampled empanadillas, which were very good, as was the conch salad. The prices were reasonable, but the service was really slow. There was no wait for a table as we visited during the off-season. We will give it another try when we return.

There are newer reviews for Rincon Tropical Restaurant

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Over the past five years, our family of four (Mom, Dad, two young daughters) have eaten many dinners at Rincon Tropical, and had some of the best and worst meals we've eaten in Rincon. When the moon and the stars align correctly, it can be one of the best meals you've ever eaten. Unfortunately, that has been more the exception than the rule of late. Plus, the service is slow, and slower for tourists than locals. The prices are a bit high for what you get, so I am sad to write that I can no longer recommend what once used to be a really good restaurant worth the wait.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Love the shrimp stuffed mofongo, reasonably priced

1  Thank Dancing M
Reviewed July 20, 2012

A little too authentic for me. Heavy fried foods and dishes I just don't care for

Reviewed July 10, 2012

DO NOT PAY WITH A CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD AT THIS RESTAURANT.

This place is obviously a popular place for locals and tourists, and the food was great. HOWEVER, I've rated the value and service as terrible because we paid for this dinner repeatedly in the form of frustration throughout the rest of the week because someone in this restaurant made my boyfriend a victim of CREDIT CARD FRAUD. It's impossible to say who because three different servers brought us beers, food and the check.

The morning after dining at Rincon Tropical Restaurant, my boyfriend and I were awakened by a phone call from our bank's fraud department calling to confirm some mysterious charges on his debit card. It turned out that someone from this restaurant stole the card number, expiration date and 3 digit code to open their own iTunes account and purchase two $50 game apps for a total of $109 in fraudulent charges.

Not only did the card have to be cancelled, but it forced us to rely on a credit card for the reamaining 8 days of the trip, cancel his iTunes account and rack up a week's worth of ATM withdrawal charges because of our fear of using cards anywhere else on the island.

My boyfriend is Puerto Rican and cherishes what little time he is able to spend with his family on the island. He was understandably hurt by this situation, and it's unfortunate that this experience stands out on what was otherwise a great vacation.

1  Thank ellnw
Rincon T, Owner at Rincon Tropical Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

regards,
We regret the situation that occurred in Puerto Rico. But we are not responsible for the theft of their credit card numbers. We have 15 years of service and have never had a situation like this with any client. Our employees are honest and responsible. We use the method of service as a group, so all the waiters help each other. You have no evidence that any of our employees has stolen your card. Also if I use it in some other place before or after dinner in our restaurant, it could also steal elsewhere. These are serious allegations, but we are quite sure that this did not happen in our restaurant. Other customers have accidentally left his credit card on our business, and have come to pick up 2 or 5 days later without any problem.