“Great place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rincon
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Great place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great place to stay.This is my third stay and will not be my last at the Lazy Parrot. I was recomended the LP by some friends that have stayed several times.I really enjoy the property and their hospitality and by being a small Inn makes the stay more pleasant. The Rum Shack offers great Hamburgers and nice drinks.Their Restuarant LPR offers excellent food and great service. One night we were a group of 4 and all plates where excellent. The Continental breakfast is a good starter for the day.The views are great from all locations since you are high in the hills. The location is perfect but you do need a car to get around. The beach is nearby and Resturants as well. The Rincon is a very relax and at a slower pace. Small town, small local stores and markets which makes it a great laid-back escape. The official language is English, jajaja, you will not have communication problems. Ther dress attire is casual being a surf and beach town. The only comment for the Lazy Parrot to address is that rooms I have stayed 8,9 & 10 on the 2nd floor which are spacios, confortable and very clean but I have had situations with water pressure and the hot water is cold or cool. I have mentioned this to reception but still have not been solved to my statisfication during my stays. I beleive it's this section of the the Inn... I will be back to the Lazy Parrot in a few weeks and I am looking forward for a great all around stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section, 3 floor building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angelc940
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments! During your recent stays we have had a couple different issues going on. To the client it may look like we aren't doing anything but that is far from the truth. Every complaint is addressed immediately and assessed to determine whether we can improve the facilities here at the Lazy Parrot.

Part of the issue this winter was the drought that the western region was experiencing, which in Puerto Rico means less water in our pipes. Years ago we installed a well to help during these times when the water is lacking, however when the hotel is filled to capacity and everyone is trying to use the water at the same time (first thing in the morning and once everyone returns from the beach), our tanks have to re-set and re-fill, which doesn't happen in 5 minutes. What all guests need to remember is, you are not home, so comparing your pressure at home to Puerto Rico is a mute point. Although Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the US, we still lack some of the basic things, statesiders and city folks take for granted, like water and electricity 24/7. Be assured, the Lazy PArrot has taken every precaution to provide uninterrupted service.

Our room information books state, "Things You Should Know", like, we have solar panels to deliver hot water to all our rooms. We also have a back up system when we have days of rain or cloudy weather. This back up system has coils that heat the water electrically, but from time to time they blow when the electricity fluctuates. Our records show that this guest notified the office and indeed a coil was burned out and replaced.

FYI, we have also recently purchased a new power plant to replace the one we had. This new plant now delivers power to ALL parts of the hotel when these fluctuations occur and the local service provider can’t deliver electricity to the area.

Most of the time, people wait until they get home to make complaints and most of the time they were things we could have done something about. If you don't let us know, we can't fix it. Obviously, if this guest keeps coming back, they love the place, otherwise, they would have moved on to another hotel.

lzparrot@lazyparrot.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
World
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I loved the Lazy Parrot. Stayed here for 5 nights during a recent surf trip.

It is difficult to find but so is everything in Rincon as there's often no proper signage. The inn is located in the hills, about a 5mins drive (max) from the beach. Rooms are spacious and clean. Staff is friendly and helpful, I was e.g. looking for a good massage place and they looked up several places for me until I found one that had availability. One comment: the reception is only open until 5pm (I think), so if you arrive late let them know in advance.

The inn has two restaurants, the Rum Shack, which is a poolside bar and serves pretty good food (even though only from a small menu) and the LRP. I ate at the Rum Shack a couple of times, the LRP was closed for a few days. There's a small store and bakery right by the hotel as well as Banana Dang, which serves terrific coffee drinks and smoothies.

I don't see the issue with the many stairs, it is really not as bad as people make it seem and if anything, it is a good small workout. I also don't agree with the supposed americanization of Rincon - yes, you here little Spanish, but that applies to all of Puerto Rico and there are much fewer American chains here than in most other locations on the island. Rincon is a typical laid-back surfertown which simply may or may not be your cup of tea. If you expect fancy resorts and the like, this is not your place. Also, I am over 30 and didn't find the crowd at the LPI or Rincon generally too young.

If I come back to Rincon at some point, I would stay at the Lazy Parrot again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Samaire1
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! I was so sorry to hear you missed LPR. We had a minor gas leak that shut us down for a couple of days, until the leak could be located and the gas tanks re-filled. I really appreciated your insight on the stairs, Americanization and age of travelers to this part of the island. Sometimes people only focus on the negatives instead of going with the flow and actually enjoying their vacation!

Thanks again...hope to see you soon!
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

No complaints here. Beautifully landscaped property located in the hills above Rincon. You will need a car to get around, and will want to explore both the Caribbean and Atlantic beaches, so the lack of direct beach access is not a problem. Excellent food and drinks at the Rum Shack. Try the Rumshackle.

We stayed in room 101 which was very private and located at the back of the property away from the pool. Only one little quibble with the room --- I wish there was a towel rack and full length mirror.

I'm confused by the reviewer's statement below that Rincon is too Americanized. There are many American owned stand alone restaurants and bars in Rincon. However, we saw almost no American chains, and there were many Caribbean establishments as well including some where I heard no English spoken.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review! I have to be honest, the room you were assigned, was recently remodeled. Thanks for pointing out the details we missed in the rush to get it finished!

I also appreciated your comment on the previous review, giving another opinion on the Americanization of Rincon. For those of you who don't know, Puerto Ricans are Americans. Rincon's melting pot reaches to the four corners of the globe. We hope all our visitors enjoy our multi-lingual, multi-cultural community.

Lebanon, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Room was quite acceptable. Breakfast was also ok (not great, nothing cooked, as you will have in PR B&B's). Pool is a bit weak. Food on site is good. Service fine. Quiet - except for nights when the bar is going strong. Overall, a good place to stay - nothing special. As previous reviews have mentioned - can be lots of steps to your room. Compared to out other stays in PR, I would say this was lower value for money. I have to add that Rincon is not a great place to me - not worth the extra drive to get to and too much American (stateside people) influence - I prefer the Spanish flair.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Our website says the Lazy Parrot may not be for you, I guess I need to add Rincon, as well.

I would like to make a couple of points. We advertise a FREE continental breakfast, pastries, breads, cereals, fruit, yogart, oatmeal, coffee, juice and milk. I guess he didn't read that part however there are other restaurant options that serve a HOT breakfast....they just aren't free.

The Lazy Parrot prides ourselves on our ambiance and laid back attitude. Our well attended gardens, unique furnishings, parrot details and cleanliness are our strengths! We aren't perfect but we really try!

As far as the American influence, Rincon wasn't on the the travel map until the 1968 World Surfing Championships. Most of these American business owners came to surf and never left. Not only are Americans here but there is also a big European and South American influence as well. I would say a melting pot of world travelers who found something special in Rincon.

You might try the southern region on your next visit to Puerto Rico...you won't see many Americans there.

Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here for five days with three friends, and cannot make a single complaint. The place is charming, clean, with very friendly and helpful staff. The location's further from the beach than expected, but as long as you have a car, it's not a problem at all. Actually, I quite liked the location as you have a beautiful view of the hills and water. It's also quiet, but the Rum Shack get lively on some evenings (in the most chilled out tropical way). I probably wouldn't recommend the Lazy Parrot to families with young children or the elderly, but other than that, it's great!

Also, be warned, it's a no-smoking hotel except for in designated zones...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
I really appreciate this guest response however I am a little miffed why he wouldn't recommend us to families. We have taken a lot into consideration in regards to families, like our baby pool, putt putt golf course, special parrot picture taking area and our choice of games that may be checked out during your stay. Not to mention our birds that the kids love to hang out with, talk too and just watch! The stairs may be a bit much for some of the elderly but we have had plenty of spry ole folks that handle them very well! Thanks again for the comments!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Small extended family group of avid surfers stayed here for 3 nights over a weekend. Exceptionally clean and simple rooms overlooking the pool and Rum Shack. Rooms are quiet. Very friendly staff. Landscaping pleasant. Narrow road out front of hotel -- like many in Rincon -- features lots of traffic moving quickly, so watch the kids. Banana Dang next door kept us supplied with good local coffee and smoothies. Quick drive to Maria's and Domes. Will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. So many times people think we are too far from the beach but the beauty of staying at the Lazy Parrot is that you are 3/4 to 2 miles from 8 different beaches. You are also above the noisy late night places so everyone gets a good nights rest. Look forward to your rapid return!

Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Arrived in November just before the busy season. There was only 4-5 couples at the hotel. I think the word Lazy sums it up. The Hot tub was frigid, the pool hadn't been cleaned in a while. Kinda reminded me of a fraternity house, without the people. We had booked the night before through bookings.com for 2 nights. Arrived the next day and within an hour of checking in let the front desk know that we would only be staying for one night. The place just wasn't that nice. The front desk let us know that she was unable to do that and that it was up to the owner. We checked out the next day at 9am and sure enough got billed for 2 nights. Figured we gave them 24 hour notice of arriving and that 24 hour notice that we weren't happy should have been enough but I guess I was wrong. Ended up staying the night at Casa Islena. MUCH, MUCH Better.

If you are a college kid, on break, the parrot may be your place but if you are over 30 and would like something a little nicer, Casa Islena or Tres mujers is a better bet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James D
BirdLady, Owner at Lazy Parrot Inn, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Did you ever wonder why someone who stayed 4 months ago is just now writing a review? Well the credit card company denied his charge back based on the documentation presented. His premise for checking out was because we weren't on the beach. If this guest had ever read anything on our website or the website where he booked the reservation from or if he had read the confirmation or the registration form, he would have seen our jacuzzi is not heated, known we weren't on the beach and understood our cancellation policy.

He was offered an upgrade to our superior poolside category when he booked the lowest category available online, at no additional charge. Which happened to be the only other room available during that time. If he only saw 4 or 5 couples, at 9am, the rest probably weren't up yet or already at the beach.

Some people you just can't make happy and if you read the other reviews below I believe you will have a better idea of what the Lazy Parrot is all about. That part he got right.....but being "Lazy" on vacation is a good thing!

lzparrot@lazyparrot.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Parador Combate Beach
#1 of 4 in Cabo Rojo
4.5 of 5 stars 516 reviews
Parador Villa Antonio

Been to Lazy Parrot Inn? Share your experiences!