“A Pleasant Stay for the Price Paid”
Review of Lazy Parrot Inn

Lazy Parrot Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
Illinois
“A Pleasant Stay for the Price Paid”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a four night stay here. Easy check-in after a long day of travel. We knew the office would be closed when we arrived. They arranged for our room key to left for us. We formally checked in the next morning after breakfast.

Our third floor room was quite spacious. Our balcony overlooked the pool area. Nice linens and bathroom amenities. The shower faucet was a bit finicky. Dish Network on the TV provided a decent selection of channels.

Breakfast each morning provided a nice variety of the usual breads, yogurt, fruit and excellent coffee. Free wi-fi in the breakfast area.

We didn't use the pool as we did our swimming & snorkeling at several beaches in the area. Nor did we eat at the Rum Shack or restaurant.

Overall, a great value. When we return to PR, we'll definitely consider the LP.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dave148

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I visited the Lazy Parrot 2 years ago on my first trip to Rincon. I visited w/ my cousin & friend and the restaurant & 2 bars (rum bar included) were stellar. The grounds are breathtaking behind the seemingly dull front exterior. The hotel is NOT on the beach, but the views overlooking the valley between the beach and the hotel are awesome. In addition, the grounds beyond the restaurant are like walking through a rainforest. The pool, bars, steps, hotel, etc. are reminiscent of venturing through El Yunque.

My girlfriend & I arrived after 5 after visiting my favorite beach (Maria's) to check out the local scene & surfing. We drove up from Ponce and had no reservations which was our MO for the entire trip. Much to our surprise, the desk was closed with a message to call a number for questions or last minute bookings. We called the # and a gentleman was expeditious in driving over to check us in. He brought us into the laundry area, opening a book that read, "walk-ins". The options for rooms were all under $100 including tax which were the cheapest of our trip; I didn't object.

The 3rd floor room was great initially as it had been recently renovated. Awesome floors, tile bathroom throughout, great bedding/bedroom furniture. However, our big issue was the the upfront mildew malodor upon entry. I've detected this odor before but it's usually caused by older carpet & linens which were absent here. So, we investigated the wall a/c unit (which was the only remaining culprit) and detected massive black mold within the unit. My girlfriend mentioned objecting, but for the rate and our late arrival, I suggested a quick trip to Econo to purchase some lysol to rectify the situation. This did the trick since we were only staying 1 night. We left the a/c unit off and opened up all available openings. Keep in mind, this unit is on the eastern end/3rd floor which is obstructed by palm trees and thus, minimal sunlight.

We loved the Lazy Parrot; the only reason for a less than stellar review is the malodor from the neglected a/c unit. I was wheezing after a bit and the only reason I could imagine was the mold w/in the a/c unit. We mentoned the issue to management upon departure and we were met w/ concern wholeheartedly. This in no way detracts from the beauty of the hotel/grounds, but the a/c neglect on the eastern end may hinder your otherwise phenomenal stay in this gem....

Room Tip: Pick a high floor (2 and up) on the middle/West end. The Eastern end seems to get less sunlight whic...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is a decent location within Rincon. The location avails its self to a nice view from your room and convenient access to surfing and snorkeling.

The room is just fine. Its clean etc.

Unfortunately during my stay, The internet did not work at all during all the days of my stay.
the hot water was tepid at best and freezing cold on the last day. Very disappointed about the lack of a decent shower facility with hot water. I don't ask for much, but in the price category i do fully expect to have hot water.

Staff is nice and friendly.

Pool / Bar / Restaurant - its available if you desire. I found it to be very over priced. There are many dining options in the area - seek out food at an alternative location if you are traveling on a budget. The bar is a very nice location to meet others and relax, Pretty decent view of the sun set also. :)

In the future I would most likely seek alternative lodging. But try your luck, they might have hot water!

Room Tip: Not here. Seek an alternative lodging choice.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Things I Liked about the Lazy Parrot:
-The price was right
-Tastefully decorated from top to bottom
-Even though it's a "mini-resort," it doesn't feel pretentious or uppity; just comfortable--like coming home.
-Food at the Rum Shack was great
-Friendly, very helpful staff
-The view from our room was GREAT, and we got a HUGE balcony (patio would be more accurate) without requesting it/paying more

Things I Didn't Like So Much:
-For being a hotel in a city all about surfing and beaches, there were painfully few places in the room/bathroom to hang up wet items. Our "closet" wasn't even tall enough to hang up a shirt without the bottom brushing the shelf! (We had the railings outside on our balcony, of course, but since it rained both our nights there, that was counter-productive)
-The shower and I didn't get along. Futzy temperature control burned me, then froze me. Water pressure left something to be desired.

Overall, the good definitely outweighs the bad, and I would stay there again for sure!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level (8, 9, 10, 11) have views of the sea, I think. I'm not sure you can re...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShiningHalo
Luquillo, PR
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed there again a couple weeks ago. The place is awesome, year after year. Clean rooms, a great place to relax, very friendly staff. This time we ditched the kids & went with another couple- surf trip. I wrote another review about the place a few years ago, and I'd write the same thing all over again. I love it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Puertoricosigns
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I just returned home from my stay at The Lazy Parrot. My son and I came for the bike race held in Rincon this last weekend. It was such a nice weekend. This is a trip my son and I will remember for a long time! Our room was upgraded, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and we just had a wonderful time. Breakfast was really good! It was a continental breakfast with a lot of fresh breads from the bakery next door. The staff was very helpful in both our reservations, and in helping to get us where we needed to go. I have never been to Puerto Rico, but after this weekend I would like to return with my wife and if I do I plan on another stay at The Lazy Parrot.

Room Tip: There are an assortment of rooms that have different views, and a few value rooms in the lodge. Pool...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Bergenfield, New Jersey
Reviewed October 27, 2011

It's a secluded spot, quiet reasonably priced and they even upgraded my room. I'll be back! I loved the Rum Shack. Jim and Mitch are quite the hosts. Rooms are clean, beds are comfy.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Parador Villa Antonio
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Cabo Rojo

Been to Lazy Parrot Inn? Share your experiences!