Tropical Treehouse
$116
  • Pool
Villa Cofresi Hotel(Rincon)(Great Value!)
$132
Lazy Parrot Inn(Rincon)(Great Value!)
$120
$71
$198
$157
$118
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsrocking chairstree housepuma gas stationbattery operatedcitronella candlesthe ownerpuerto ricocoqui frogstoilet paperone of a kindhoochbuddhabambooflashlightheadlightscoolerroughing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband, 7 year old daughter, and I spent 2 nights here. It was very much like what we imagined- camping. We were slightly disappointed that the lights didn't work at night (they tried to fix them but couldn't - luckily we had headlamps) and the solar hot water heater didn't warm the water (luckily the weather was very hot). There were lizards everywhere, which was fun, the family cats visited us often, and mangoes were dropping off the trees like crazy. The nights were difficult for us to get used to, as nature was very loud - birds, frogs, mangoes, and the sounds of the city. We were happy to have a functioning kitchen - it was nice to cook and hang out upstairs (the plastic chairs and table were kind of old and falling apart). Admittedly, it wasn't as well kept up as we had hoped, but it was a great experience and I don't have any regrets.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank family362
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This place is just really well done. My gf and I spent two nights in the Sunset Hooch and it was just a great vacation experience. We like non-traditional accommodations like yurts, cottages, and cabanas etc... Anything that gets us away from people and closer to nature is a bonus. If you're like us this place is a dream.

The property is really well landscaped with an awesome variety of plants, flowers, mango trees. You're not too far away from town but when you walk on to the property you feel like town is very distant. Also the hooches are just far enough from eachother that you feel like you have the whole property to yourself. I recommend walking the trails around the property and seeing the different plants and variety of bamboo he has planted.

As far as the sunset hooch itself, it has everything you need. Propane stove, cooler, sink with running water, pots, pans, silverware etc.. Just make sure you grab ice for the cooler before you arrive at the market down at the bottom of the hill on 115. Bathroom has it's own separate hooch just down a path and you have a switch to light up a path to walk dow to it at night. Bed is comfy and there are two rocking chairs up there with you to just sit back and enjoy the view, read, or do whatever.

This place is a perfect romantic getaway for couples who want to get away from people and closer with nature. This would also be great for a solo traveller looking wanting to get away and unplug for a couple of days. The tropical treehouse is truly unique in how it achieves harmony with nature, style, and comfort... We eagerly await our next visit.

Anthony & Katybeth

Room Tip: Sunset hooch has the best view. Almost 180 degree of the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank misteradamo
Reviewed January 28, 2012

This is a really unique accommodation, and I'm happy we found it when planning our trip to Puerto Rico! This is a bit like roughing it, so don't go if you're expecting luxury accommodations. My husband and I loved this place! Jo e-mailed us really specific directions on how to get there, and we arrived with no problems just before sunset. We were staying in the Sunset Hooch and the view was splendid. After the sun goes down, there are some lights (running on solar power they've stored during the day, and on a battery), but they don't last long, so plan accordingly. We decided to go out for supper after sunset and had a great time. It was surreal staying in this tall treehouse in the middle of the bush and we absolutely loved it. The shower is cold, and totally outside, so you can't be shy - shower quickly! What a great experience surrounded in nature, though. Totally enjoyed it.

Room Tip: The Sunset Hooch is worth the extra dollars!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomiyamaGirl
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I found out about the Bamboo Tree house while looking online for a sustainable bamboo bed for my new apartment. Since we were going to Puerto Rico in a month, I immediately called Jo & Sam Scheer and found that the Luna Hooch I was interested in was open the 2 nights we'd be there so I quickly reserved it! WOW! What luck!

In Puerto Rico we drove to where Mapquest said it was but the local road we were looking for had no name (most don't there)! Hmmm. After driving around in the dark night for 15 minutes & not finding it, he called and found out there are DOS stationes carro de Texaco en Rincon! LOL. We searched further north & found the road. Jo said go up 2 hills and turn left at the bamboo patch by the road. We drove up and think we found the right bamboo patch and called to make sure. Jo said he'd be along the road shaking his foot. They stayed on the phone and as we turned a bend in the dark we saw a leg shaking in the headlights. LOL. We pulled in. We got out met Jo & Sam. Jo led us down a neat narrow forest path then took a left & there it was! The Bamboo Tree house We could see the almost full moon through the skylight in the middle of the roof. It is another inCREDible sight! You'll have to stay there to appreciate it the most! Since we love nature, one morning Jo took us on a tour of his paradise. Several large colonies of towering green yellow bamboo and dark brown termite colonies in the middle of a few trees. We met another family staying in the Sunset hooch. Another great gem in Puerto Rico.

It's not the kayaks of Barefoot Adventures or Yokahu or the guesthouses of the Bamboo Tree house or LaPaloma, it's the creativity and persistence of Keisha, Jo, Nilda & Luis to turn their dreams into a warm reflection of their passions and share them with the rest of the world! Each of you are very inspirational angels making the world a better place. Now it's time to work on my dreams to help make the world a better place. Peace

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank charliefunny
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Overall it was just OK. It was pretty hard to find at night, but we found that many places in PR are hard to find due to a lack of street signs. Anyhow, we got there after dark the first night. Jo showed us to the Luna Hooch and showed us where everything was and even had ice for the cooler for us and a flashlight we could borrow. After that though, things kinda went downhill. First there was so much noise! It could have been neighbors but I think it may have been people staying over at the main house. Whatever it was they were up really late and obviously having a very good time! But that was only mildly irritating compared to what came next. There was a HUGE rainstorm. Not a big deal except the skylight had a major leak. Over half of the bed got completely drenched. When we left the next morning to go to the beach we mentioned it to Jo and he said he'd take care of it. Well, he did try. However, the following night it still leaked really bad. To make a long story short, we ended up leaving a night early. Of course I told Jo that we would be willing to pay for the additional night since we had made the reservation and I wrote him the check. However, I thought it was in rather poor taste that we were charged the full price seeing as how the two nights we stayed there our bed was drenched in the middle of the night. We seriously got NO sleep because of it and it was generally uncomfortable. Plus even after attempting to fix the skylight the soaking wet sheets were left on the bed. But, I would recommend it because it would have been OK if not for those two things.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple