“Good burgers”

Ranked #25 of 115 Restaurants in Rincon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Situated at the Casa Verde Hotel, this Burger Bar is very popular among surfers who have sandy feet and board in tow. If an adult built a tree house, this is what it would look like. It is open daily from 12pm-midnight (in the winter months). We only do two things but, we do them extremely well. Burgers and Wings.
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Formerly Rock Bottom, I kind of miss the old feel of the bar. I miss all the fun signs and stuff that use to hang up there. It's definitely been refocused to look more like your average tourist bar and has lost some of that local charm. My drinks were so-so (coconut mojito was waaay to strong and my other drink was a vodka/red bull which you really can't mess up) but I was very impressed with the burger! I had the Kali Burger and highly recommend it. Very delicious! And I do love when they have live music, great vibe going on then. Still a great place to hang out.

2  Thank leah f
There are newer reviews for Kahuna Burger Bar and Grill

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I read the review of a patron (RMEjr) discussing under age drinking and I read the owners response as well.
I have to side with RMEjr on this one.
There were teenagers that were in the bar area well after 10 pm AND there is no way they were 18 years old. At best, the kids were 14-16 years old.
I asked a couple of "locals" if this happened a lot. The best answer was; "if their chin is higher than the bar, they get served"

I was in Kahuna two nights while I was in Rincon, once for a night cap and once for food. Both times there were kids being served. No questions asked. In reading the review by RMEjr about the wings, I too was only served 9 chicken wings when the menu clearly states that you get a dozen. I'm from Buffalo so if you say a dozen, give me a dozen. The server said that when the wings are this big, they usually just give you 9. huh??

Billy B, Owner at Kahuna Burger Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Todd,
In regards to your concerns. Management had conducted a thorough investigation into the possibility of under-age consumption after RMEjr's comments. We have some of the strictest policies to combat the possibility of underage consumption of alcohol.
Young people continue to look younger and younger as I grow older and older. For example, the other day one of our bartenders was approached by a father and daughter who asked for 2 Medallas (local beer). The bartender could have sworn the girl was 15. As per our policy the server asked her for her identification. The bartender was absolutely dumbfounded by what he discovered. Her birthdate was 1992! She was 22. Four years over the legal drinking age. Sometimes we should not judge a book by its cover.
As far as the mysterious 9 piece chicken wing order(s), management has spoken to our cooking staff and nether they or the servers recall purposefully sending less then the order calls for but, we will be sure to count them twice just to be safe. Thanks again,

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten here many times, when it was Rock Bottom, and without doubt the RB burger was THE BEST IN THE WEST! Yesterday was the second visit after the restaurant's facelift and makeover! I preferred the "before" rather than the "after" but hey that's just a personal opinion. The first time I ordered the Kali burger,which was more than delicious, but this time I decided to go back to my roots and have the signature RB. Sad to say it was disappointing.
The menu says that the RB is served with american cheese and jalapeños which is the main attraction for this burger. Imagine my surprise when I saw that there was ONE tiny slice of jalapeño stuck on top of the burger! I had to go to the bar to inform the server of my dilemma!! She eventually managed to bring me more peppers but that shouldn't have happened. Now to the fix ins!!!..... One measly piece of romaine lettuce which had been cut in a perfect rectangle, one paper thin slice of tomato and two pieces of red onion!!! The melted cheese was so thin that it was transparent, and the home- made fries were over-fried and super thin. The last time I ate here they served thick home-made wedgie fries which were delicious. Don't know what happened to them this time.
I guess that Mike is no longer working in the kitchen or he's had to cut down on quality..... It's a shame because as a regular Rincon diner, I have recommended this place to many locals and tourists.... I guess I'll have to be a bit more wary next time someone asks me where they can get a great burger.
Billy, I think you need to be more attentive to quality control...

Billy B, Owner at Kahuna Burger Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Jane,
I'm sorry your experience was not to your liking. We have very strict controls on food quality and consistency. Your review actully surprises me, as you can see from all of this years reviews. Our Rock Bottom Burger along with our Kali Burger are our top two sellers...and this is the first complaint I have heard. I really wish you would give us another try. I am sure it will be up to both your and my standards.

Billy

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I own a property near Kahuna burger and was recently down there on vacation. After seeing the TV show that this place appeared on, we decided to give it a try and see how it had changed. Unfortunately it was for the worst in our experience. First I ordered one of their signature Bloody Mary's, which they describe as having "all the fix'ins. It turned out to be tomato juice and vodka, nothing else. I don't know what "fix'ins they were talking about. No celery stalk, no lemon or lime wedge, no horseradish. Terrible. Then we decided to order some wings. The menu says that there is a dozen wings in an order. Both orders came out with 9 wings on them. The waiter apologized and brought us out some more, which was nice of him, but doesn't the cook know how to count ? Then I ordered the Kahuna Burger, which was suppose to have a slice of grilled pineapple on it. You guessed it, no pineapple at all.
Believe it or not, the poor food and drinks was not the worst of it. As we finished our food, a couple van loads of very young kids rolls in, probably 20 of them. They were obviously underage. Without passing judgement, we decided to hang around for one more drink and talk to them. They were all doing shots and having a great time. They admitted that they were all 14-15 years old and that they come here because its one of the only bars that serves them. Keep in mind that there was a large doorman standing at the entrance (with a sidearm I might add) who didn't make any attempt to check any of these kids. Anyway, after seeing the bar owner give this tearful scene on the TV show about how the bar and hotel were ruining his life and how he was an alcoholic, I now find it very hard to have any sympathy for him, knowing that he preys on underage kids for his business. Do not support this place.

1  Thank RMEjr
Billy B, Owner at Kahuna Burger Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

RMEjr,

I am sorry your experience was not to your liking. We take great strides in the prevention of underage and over-consumption of alcohol. Our bartenders/servers are highly trained in the identification and prevention of underage consumption. Through the years Rincon has become an increasingly popular destination for High School seniors. Ease of travel, no passport necessary, the use of the American dollar, and the legal drinking age is only 18. All of which has made it increasingly more difficult to control throughout the years. One of the largest steps we have taken to minimize the over-consumption of alcohol has been a substantial reduction in our hours of operation. We close by midnight. By closing early it has gained us respect within our community and our overall guests experience have increased tremendously. Concentrating on the quality of our rooms and the services we provide to our Hotel guests and our community has been a move in the right direction.

Our current policy does not allow anyone under the age of 18 upstairs to the bar after 10pm. However, before 10pm the bar and restaurant is open to the public, at any age. Therefore, it was not necessary for our security to ask for ID in order gain entrance to the restaurant. However, the bartenders are responsible when someone asks for an alcoholic beverage. It is both our duty and obligation to ask any patron who looks under the age of 21 for a valid identification. Any guests trying to purchase an alcoholic beverage are asked for ID and must provide the same. Those guests who cannot produce a valid ID will be refused alcohol service. Many of the guests you are referring to were able to comply with the law, our standards and policies and provided the bartenders with a valid ID. Those individuals of legal age received service from the bartenders. Several of them were not of legal age and consequently, not served alcohol. It was before 10pm and therefore they were not asked to leave the restaurant either. I can only guess their 18 year old high school friends were purchasing alcohol for them or they were brining it in themselves.

I appreciate your review and your insight. We are currently looking at how we can better our current system to further prevent the aforementioned scenario.

We do not condone underage consumption of alcohol and work hard to minimize the possibility of underage consumption.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Went here on February 18, 2014 we had the Kali Burger and the Fish Sandwich both were very good and the drinks were great. The Bar Tender was very nice and attentive (Get that Masters Degree). Close to the beach. Can't wait to get back here.

GWL,
Thanks so much for the great review. We really appreciate the opportunity to gain your business. Hope to see you again soon.