“A surprising place for classic French cuisine”
Review of Restaurant Aaron - CLOSED

Restaurant Aaron
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is Puerto Rico’s haute cuisine restaurant par excellence, and you’d better believe it. Don’t expect any nods to cuisine nouvelle or modern ideas of lightness. What you get is first-rate French food with rich sauces served in a formal style (silver dome plate covers, for example) by the friendly Puerto Rican wait staff. We couldn’t eat like this every day, but it can be interesting once in a while.

Every dish was prepared to perfection, though a couple stood out because of exceptional flavor combinations. One such was the tuna tartare with an orange sour vinaigrette and plantain chips; another was the roasted poussin with morel sauce. Not that there was anything wrong with the “untraditional Caesar salad” with grilled lobster or the filet of beef with black pepper sauce and fingerling potatoes. A tiny amuse-bouche consisted of a calamari salad with mustard vinaigrette, and a raspberry parfait was served between courses. The red wine offered by the glass was a stunning Languedoc (I forget the maker’s name).

I might add that the atmosphere is congenial (not stuffy) and the prices are reasonable given the quality.

1  Thank canadensis
There are newer reviews for Restaurant Aaron

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We ate here on four occasions over ten days. The first time was lunch on the beach on Christmas Day. We both very much enjoyed the duck confit salad and vowed to return. Our server was excellent - very professional. Our only source of dismay was that the grounds of the Horned Dorset including the beach front restaurant were not up to the traditionally high standards of a Relais & Chateaux establishment. The salad was a good value at $15 which was also the price of each of our champagne cocktails. We next returned and both ordered the goat cheese salad. It arrived with considerably less greens than had been on our duck confit salads so we inquired of our server. He apologized and explained that there was a different chef in the kitchen that day; he brought each of us a full salad of additional greens. The salad included frisee, arrugula, endive, romaine, soft butter lettuce and wonderful tomato which we concluded was lightly roasted which made it slightly sweet.
Based on these meals, we made reservations for New Years Eve. By in large, it was a good experience. The amuse bouche was a beautifully seared scallop in a flavorful banana puree. My husband raved about flavor of the corn soup with vanilla foam. The prosciutto de Parma salad was also very good but too much in quantity considering that this was a seven course meal. Our server was excellent as was the assistant. If anything, service was too fast but they graciously honored my request to slow it down a bit. The entre was lamb which I do not eat but my husband said was excellent. I was offered snapper as an alternate. Unfortunately it tasted old and was not up to my standard. The server brought it back and offered chicken instead; it actually ended up being half a poussin but at this point I'd already had so much to eat that I ate very little of it in anticipation of another two courses. The cheese course was adequate but I expected to have the cheese served with a little fruit (there was a small piece of fig), water cracker, or something similar. I made this request and was promptly brought crostini. The dessert was ordinary but I was entirely satiated at that point. Yes, as another reviewer complained, the coffee was served in an inappropriately large cup and came with milk already in it. In recognition of the problem with the fish, our server did not charge us for the glass of white wine I ordered to go with the fish nor the port my husband ordered when our bottle of red wine was finished. By the way, we inquired in advance and determined we could bring in our own wine and pay a $35 corkage fee, which is what we did. The meal was $125 per person but this is not out of line for New Years Eve and seven courses. We returned the next evening in hopes of having the duck confit salad one last time before we left. Ordinarily, it would be available at the downstairs restaurant until 9:30 p.m. but being a holiday, only Aarons, the more formal upstairs restaurant, was open. It was serving a prefix meal but we were allowed to pick individual courses rather than having the entire meal. I enjoyed green pea soup which had a nice hint of mint and a smoked salmon salad. My husband had the soup and poussin. We each had a glass of wine, both of which were adequate but over-priced. They do not seem to have a consistent "house" wine because the one the previous evening was a French chardonnay and they offered either an inferior American chardonnay or Chilean pinot grigio this evening. If you appreciate wine, you are well advised to bring your own and pay the corkage fee. Yes, this place is expensive but it was hands down the best food we had in the area.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My friend and I chose to have dinner Christmas eve at this establishment because I had dined there numerous times in the past and always found the meal close to perfection. That the restaurant was clearly changed was evident as soon as we walked in the door. The manager couldn't find our reservation(which had been made 2 weeks earlier) . She finally located it, but the restaurant was only half occupied, so even if she did not find the reservation it would have hardly mattered. My friend ordered the tasting menu and I ordered ala carte.We ordered champagne aperatifs, which the manager, who was French, did not appear to comprehend. We finally said we would each like a glass of champagne. We also had a bottle of water. We sat down at 7:45. By 10 PM I had been served the worst salad nicoises that I ever tasted, and my friend had some super salty pate and an unidentifiable thing on the same plate. She also had carrot soup that tasted like the pot it was cooked in leeched off into the soup,or maybe there were keys or coins in the soup. Either way it was gross. By 10 that was all we had been served. During that service the silver ware was not changed and was cast onto the chargers which were never removed. I spoke to the manager who told me to be patient, to which I replied I thought 2 and a quarter hours was quite enough. We got up to leave, and the manager said just go. We said we wanted to pay for our drinks, 1 bottle of water, 1 glass of champagne each, and a glass of Albarino wine each. We should have listened to the manager and just left because the beverages as described herein, were $70! We left basically without eating and were exposed to rude service, and likely will never go back. There was a family with young children celebrating the holiday. More than half left, and about an hour later their food was wrapped and I suppose brought to them by the remaining family members. What an absolute shame. This dining experience was truly horrible.

5  Thank pandg27
Reviewed November 24, 2012

A visit to Aaron's at the Horned Dorset Primavera is a real treat. The service is exquisite. There is careful attention payed to detail in the salon, the service and of course, the food. The food is pricey, to be sure, but worth it.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We didn't stay at the Horned Dorset, but decided to try its Restaurant Aaron after having a disappointing "special occasion" dinner in San Juan. We had some reservations about eating there because we had heard that the former head chef had moved back to the East Coast, but we were pleasantly and delightfully surprised at the quality of the experience, both in the restaurant and in the fabulous food. The ambiance is very genteel and lovely; the waitstaff were great. We enjoyed drinks downstairs on the patio overlooking the beach and the waves - very romantic! Dinner was similarly lovely: candlelit, quiet, formal, beautiful decor. Regardless of the ambiance, the food was superb: we split an appetizer of cornmeal and pancetta stuffed quail; our main courses were red snapper and duck; and we split a white chocolate and lime souffle for dessert. All were fantastic - the new chef is definitely a keeper! We would not hesitate to dine there again.