“Delicious, excellent service”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Baltimore, MD, USA
“Delicious, excellent service”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed at the Horned Dorset property for a week and dined in Restaurant Aaron (upstairs) three times for dinner. The service was excellent each time and the ambiance was elegant without being stuffy. The food preparation was impeccable, what I would expect in NY or London. Unlike many Caribbean restaurants, they did not focus solely on local ingredients or preparation, though Caribbean elements were there.

Among the more memorable dishes were the mushroom soup, the seared game hen, and the scallop (offered as part of the chef's tasting). That single scallop was one of the best I have ever had. The duck was also fantastic. New selections are added to entrees, starters and desserts each evening, so while the menu has some consistent elements, it changes nightly. Another fine feature is the selection of breads offered. There was a biscuit with a touch of anise that was divine.

The souffles offered were excellent (we had banana and raspberry), and the presentation notable. The wine list, while not large, offered good coverage of new and old world, at reasonable prices.

The restaurant itself is large, segregated into a main area with wings off either side. The wing to the left as you enter has an interesting, hand-painted mural. All areas have a beautiful view of the ocean. The light fixtures have shades which give off a ruddy glow that we found very pleasing. Pricing was a little on the high end, but nothing out of line. And coupled with the level of service, it was well worth it.

Note that there is also an informal restaurant on the first floor of the same building. It is not fine dining, but offers excellent and consistent food and service, and has some dishes in common (certain desserts, for example). Its price point is also substantially lower than the fine dining restaurant above.

• Visited July 2012

“Beautiful experience”
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

The dining room at primavera is absolutely stunning! Service is top notch, expect to pay top dollar for good but not great food. Completely worth it for the experience alone!

1 Thank Danacat21
Saint Augustine, FL
“Fine cuisine in a relaxing setting”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

My wife and I booked the Horned Dorset based on location and reviews and had no idea how relaxing and wonderful the hotel would be. Our first night, we dined at the more upscale of the two restaurants. At first, it was a rather odd juxtaposition, an upscale, rather formal dining room in a resort where your toughest daily decision is which bathing suit to wear. Fortunately, the only thing "stuffy" about the place is in the imagination and the service we received was top-notch - even with me in jeans.

The food was unexpectedly superb and blended local seafood with classical French technique, a huge contrast to the other "upscale" dining options in the area. The wine list was small but adequate (note - nothing by the glass).

All in all, the restaurant was a bastion of very high quality dining in a spectacular setting.

• Visited April 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The romantic and elegant highlight of a laid back, relaxing vacation.”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Though we chose to visit Rincon, Puerto Rico for its relaxed, laid back vibe, my husband and I wanted a luxurious fine dining experience, too -- and our evening at the Horned Dorset Primavera was perfectly elegant and romantic. The grounds are beautiful -- stroll by the infinity pool -- and the verandah was perfect for a sunset cocktail as the waves washed beneath our feet.

Dining outside under the stars was breathtaking, and we decided to try the chef's special tasting menu which was well worth the price if you're a foodie -- really beautifully prepared courses and just delicious. Our sommelier was a lovely and knowledgeable young woman from France who helped us choose a beaujolais that went well with the diverse menu, and our young waiter was very sweet. The food was fantastic -- unbelievable halibut, amazing New York strip, carrot-ginger soup -- it was a wonderful, wonderful treat.

We had fun chilling, snorkling and eating fish tacos and rum punch in Rincon, sure -- but dinner at the Horned Dorset was really a memorable event. Perfect romantic celebration meal.

• Visited February 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“5 star restaurant”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I am very surprised they are rated 13 out of 32 restaurants. It was by far the best meal I have had on the entire island and I have lived here one and a half years. I just spent a week with a foodie friend from San Francisco.

So to be clear there are two different restaurants at the Horned Dorset Primavera. We ate upstairs at Restaurant Aaron which is the fine dining restaurant.

The service and the food was amazing and the view of the sunset was breath taking.

I had asked to order a dessert from the menu I had seen dowstairs and I thought it was a mango crème brûlée but it was a flan instead of a brulee. It was quite cute because they caramelized the top for me to try to resemble a brulee. I thought it was quite cute.

My friend and I both ordered the lobster tail with risotto and we each ordered salads and appetizers. The food and the service was top notch which you would expect but I have been disappointed on this island way more times then I have been impressed.

• Visited February 2012