“Unforgettable”

Elephant Conservation Center
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Sayaboury
More attraction details
Owner description: The Elephant Conservation Center marks a new era for conservation of the Asian elephant within the Lao PDR and offers a unique experience to visitors wishing to contribute towards the preservation of an endangered species. The first of its kind in Laos, the Center is not another elephant camp but an innovative approach that combines conservation of an endangered species with eco-tourism. Minimum stay is overnight, however we recommend our 2 nights package to experience all the activities and truly enjoy this tranquil part of the world. Volunteer experiences, 6 nights/7 days are also available. Now we have our own minivan departing Luang Prabang daily at 8am and it takes you back the following day or days arriving Luang Prabang 4.30pm. It is only a 2 hour journey from Luang Prabang, Laos' UNESCO World Heritage listed town.
Bath, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Unforgettable”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was one of my highlights if living in Southeast Asia. Despite being a remote place, everything is so well organized that it puts a solo travels at ease. The journey to get there from the city is long but worth it! It's very authentic and lots if fun. I learned so much and conquered my fears of sleeping in a remote bungalow by myself in the middle of the jungle! Emile and the staff are lovely. Warm, friendly and accommodating. The food was wonderful. Accommodations basic, but clean with a porch where I watched the sunset. My favorite part about ECC was watching the elephants take their bath. Second favourite- seeing the baby elephants interact with their mothers. I also loved riding an elephant through the jungle-mahout style! I even learned how to command an elephant myself! I recommended some friends to go there and they also loved it. Loved Laos, loved ECC. Best part about it- supporting a wonderful cause!

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Alicia23_13

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Be prepared for an unforgotable experience!”
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to see some elephants and figured Lao, the land of a million elephants, was a good place for that.
However, we wanted to be sure that our money would go to people who took good care of the elephants and who would use it FOR the elephants. After a few research, we got confirmation that most of tours proposed in the area of Luang Pranang are not considering the elephants in terms of work hours, number of tourists sitting on their backs or food needs.

I believe these are important things to consider and you'll definitely realise that you spend good money at the right place in Sayaboury.
Excellent location, friendly staff, interesting mahout courses, nice cruise (we had so much fun with our group on that boat!) And, let's admit it, it is a deep pleasure to see such animals well treated and evolving in a natural environment!
Really unforgotable!

4 Thank diofisis
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“experience never to forget; recommendation from a Dutch couple!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Me and my boyfriend have been traveling in Azie for 3 months and also visited Laos. We wanted to have an eco tourism experience with elephants. We boocked the ECC in an eco tourism office in Ventiane. We went to Luan Prabang with the nightbus and cought a local buss to Sarabouly were the people were not prepared for tourists at all but very very friendly!! there was 1 (fine) hotel (to which a tuk tuk driver brought us; we did not boock anything) and we could eat something in a small local restaurant besides the (high)way. The food there was the best and most fresh food you can wish for and it costes almost nothing. Next morning a man picked us up in a tuk-tuk and brought us to a river were our host of the ECC waited for us with a boat. He brought us to the center. It was paradise on earth. The people were so very kind, they showed us the whole center, all mahouts, all rituals of the elephants, we met all elephants and were alowed to ride on them. We also went to the other side of the island to see the baby elephants beeing washed. The food was outstanding and we were realy sad to leave at the end of the day... but also the ride back was perfectly planned by them. and after a second good night sleep in the hotel we went back with a local bus to Luang Prabang. It was an experience which we realy would not have missed . So we advise you to visit them if you can and meet the wonderfull people and elephants in a not very touristic way! if we go back to Laos we will certainly go back! Hereby we want to thank the crew of the ECC for the incredible stay.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank brechje2013
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

If you are in Laos and you like or are interested in elephants take time out to visit this place, it is well worth it. Situated in the jungle on the edge of a reservoir, the setting is incredible in terms of panoramic views of the lake and the surrounding mountains. We stayed 3 days and 2 nights and loved every minute of it. The accommodation is a bamboo room with a balcony, on stilts, set on the hillside overlooking the lake. The toilets and showers are in a small communal block nearby. Meals are also taken in a communal setting in the main building. The food is fabulous and enough for an elephant!
I wont spoil the experience by going into detail, suffice to say that you come away having had a wonderful time with great people and patient elephants, something you will never forget.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Rod C
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“An incomparable beautiful place”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I've got the recommendation from a workmate. He told me: "If you go to Laos, you have to do this unique trip..." Okay, so we (a friend and I) did! And this place is really really amazing. We stayed in a bamboo bungalow, with a little balcony, from which we had a nice view over the lake. We learned such a lot about the elephants, its life, its problems, the elephant conservation program, the elephant hospital.... It would be too much, if I listed the whole program in this article. I felt like a real part of this little elephant loving family, and I still do. Everybody of the team do love these animals, and they try to give some of their enthusiasm with you to carry it out to the world, to protect and save the elephants. If you really want to do a very unique and special trip apart of these normal, crowded tourism trips, you have to stay in the elephant conservation center and become a part of the elephant loving family and help to protect them.
Thank you for the incredible stay.

Visited October 2013