“The Best!!!”

Panama Big Game Fishing Club
New Braunfels, Texas
“The Best!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

The best fishing resort I have ever been too, is how I would sum my wife and my stay at PBGFC, I would like to thank Mr. And Mrs. C for being so gracious. I also would like to thank the staff. Carlos for being a great driver and tour guide on our way to the Lodge,
Victor for organizing, Rolando for keeping our drinks full, Carlos for tending to every need with a big smile, Bartolo and Jeffery for making our trip on the water fantastic, Victors mother for keeping our room impeccably clean and the cooking staff behind the scenes for making all our meals five star. For all those wanting to visit a magical place far away from the hustle and bustle of every day life look no further this is it. Thanks to everyone for making our trip amazing. Can't wait to return with friends and family. George and Shay Williamson

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank George W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Victoria, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

First class staff and accomadations. The Black Marlin we wanted eluded us do to the bait situation, But the Yellow fin action was fantastic with our smallest at #125 and largest # 300 IT WAS WAS A REAL TREAT. I WILL SUGGEST THIS LODGE AND FISHING TO EVERY ONE.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mike D
Denver City, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Just returned from fishing trip to PBGFC and was treated to one of most desirable trips I
have ever been on. Rooms were 5 star with 50" flat screen on satalite, stocked fridge, phone,
microwave,large walkin showers and more. Service was beyond compare.Food served by excellent chef such as turkey & dressing, lobsters, ham, tuna fantastic, shrimp coctails more.
Boats and crew were excellent. Caught 200# tunas, 70# rooster fish, snappers, wahoo, jacks
doradas and others. My wife Ann and grand son Cross and I will never forget this trip, and
will return. Excellent swimming pool and bar.
Everett Hodge - Denver City, Texas

Room Tip: All are excellent
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Everett H
David, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Why I love my Dad
This all started with a deal I had made with my father. IF I could graduate high school with honours, I would earn the trip of a lifetime. Eight months, and a heck of a lot of work later, I managed to exceed my expectations and not only did I pass, but I passed with honours, HOORAY!.
I had two decisions to make. The first was easy. I wanted to go fishing with my Dad !!!. After extensive research and due diligence, there was only one place I wanted to go to- The legendary Panama Big Game Fishing Club, Isla Boca Brava, Panama. I read about the world-renowned Hannibal Bank and Montuosa Island and the monstrous Tuna and Marlin that are produced from them.
From the arrival at Panama Airport, I was whisked through customs and immigrations from the PBGFC Royal VIP meet service and was enjoying a beer in there VIP Saloon within 3 min's of getting off the plane, no waiting in line for me and Dad, for an hour like the rest of the passengers . The same happened all the way to the dock of the club, everything was smooth sailing, this is the only way to travel.
As soon as we arrived on Isla Boca Brava, we were greeted by the staff, and although it was the middle of the night, everyone belonging to the club was willing to cater to our every need. We hit the mattress early and were awoken to a steaming cup of the finest Panamanian coffee and a hearty breakfast of whatever we requested.
We stepped on to an immaculate boat with a hardworking Skipper and Mate. I can't emphasize enough the work these people did to get us the fish we want. We slammed some monster snapper and had a great day on the water. Later in the week we even had a huge Marlin on, even though we lost it a couple minutes later, it had certainly raised the heart rate of everyone on board.
We stepped off the boat and were welcomed with a cold beer and whatever snack we requested. The food at the Club was first-rate. The chef, Fidel, was truly a professional, and would cater to whatever you wanted to eat. After a delicious meal, it was an amazing touch to sit in the Jacuzzi with a drink and chat about our day's adventures and reflect about the greatest catch of the day.
To summarize an overall exhilarating trip, I was overly impressed by the accommodation that were simply fantastic. The care that the Club takes of its guests to the island of Boca Brava is just first class. I couldn't begin to describe the lengths of the crew had gone to, to make sure that this was a family feel. Within hours of being here, I had felt like I was at my own home. Although we hadn't landed the record breaking fish this week, the feeling I received while out on the ocean was amazing. The time I spent fifty miles out with my Dad offshore, chatting ,laughing and fishing will stay with me for the rest of my life. I dream of the day I can return here and bring my father and my grandfather for a week to catch the dream marlin that all of us fishermen dream to reel in.
I am sitting at the pool bar writing this review, before I have to leave first thing in the morning to Panama City, wondering how I can earn the cash to bring my Dad and Grandfather back here next time, but this time on me to catch the Marlin that escaped back into what they call here" Jurassic Park", to put on a few hundred pounds more for our next meeting. Thank you Dad for showing me the power of hard work. I will truly never forget this experience, and await the day we come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank derreck v
Boquete, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

What more could a Father ask for, a daughter visiting from the States who likes to fish and a day with 5 tuna to 50 pounds topped off by a 500 lb Blue Marlin that tried to drag me off of the boat!!

My story

Here I was planning my daughter’s arrival from the US and setting up a little boating with a friend in Boca Chica when I get this call from Dubai. Dubai, what the heck!!! Well it was a guy named Mark Charman who introduced himself and proceeded to tell me that he is the guy who bought the legendary Panama Big Game Fishing Club in Boca Chica and he enjoyed reading my blog. He invited me to visit with him sometime and I told him that I would stop by and check out his resort when I took my daughter boating. Well one thing led to another and before I knew it my daughter and I were at his resort enjoying a wonderful evening and preparing for a day of fishing.

Arrival is via boat then a short funicular ride up to the resort on top of the hill. And of course the complimentary beverage and shrimp cocktail! The resort has been completely rebuilt and an infinity pool was added with a swim up bar overlooking the water where we enjoyed an incredible sunset.

The next morning we were up before dawn and headed out to sea by 6:15 on the hunt for big game and we were not disappointed.

The long ride out was smooth and uneventful as we were on a classic 31 Bertram Sportfish powered by new Cummins diesels. Before we knew it we were in a pod of dolphin that follow tuna and in one cast we were hooked up.

Next up, 4 more of these nice fish and then off to catch bigger bait for bigger fish. We got some nice bonito, loaded up the tuna tubes and then set out a nice spread of bridled baits. And oh yes, our mate Jeffrey can bridle a bonito in under 30 seconds insuring fresh presentation in the water.

Within 45 minutes the right outrigger clip popped and we had a FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I had hooked up my first blue marlin and set in for a long fight. After an hour and fifteen minutes, I could not raise the fish as it sounded and with the mates help, we got the fish to the boat in an other 15 minutes where we released it unharmed. Better to break a IGFA rule and have someone help manage the line while you crank so you do not kill the fish. Estimated weight — 500 pounds, yeah baby!!

We arrived back at the resort and I can tell you that this was probably the most memorable fishing trip in my life. After catching a few smaller black marlin here in Panama, I finally tagged a big blue and was I happy! This was after I caught the 5 tuna to 50 lbs. The chef prepared a wonderful spread of fresh yellow fin sashimi and we ate every last piece.

The next morning was a beautiful day waking up at poolside watching the monkeys playing and eating in the trees next to us. We could not have had a better time and I looked forward to coming back to Panama Big Game Club soon and fishing with Mr C.

One of the best fishing resorts in Panama!! Well done Mark

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Babe1234_12
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

My dad and I spent Father's Day weekend at PBGFC - two nights two days and a full-day deep sea fishing trip. We arrived right before dinner time and were greeted with shrimp cocktails and caprese salad appetizers along with our drinks - the bartender makes a delicious dirty martini!

Then we spent a little while chilling in the jacuzzi and infinity pool - amazing views all around and just the perfect temperature - followed by a perfectly rare filet mignon and fresh vegetable dinner.

We went for a beautiful pre-bed time swim - the jacuzzi and infinity pool are lit with LED lights at night. We headed to bed early so we could get up at dawn for the full day of fishing. The room was wonderful - amazing walk-in shower and bathroom; huge TV with fishing DVDs on hand; four comfy beds; big couches and a little living room area.

We got up and headed to an awesome made-to-order breakfast - the chef is amazing. We headed down to the Bertram 31 Sportfish - gorgeous boat - for our full day fishing trip. They have bean bags on board! The whole trip was so comfortable I even took a nap on the way back in. We caught five 50+ pound tuna and my dad battled a 500+ pound marlin up to the boat - mind-blowing experience and fresh fish for dinner.

As soon as we returned we rode (with trimmed tuna in hand) the train lift up to the resort - no walking dozens of steps after a long day on the boat is so wonderful! My dad hopped in the pool and I opted for the jacuzzi, which they kept at a nice cool temperature for me - so perfect.

We had a few drinks and ate a fresh sashimi dinner of the most delicious tuna - so awesome to catch your own dinner!

Overall, the trip was amazing - as the title states. I'd go on, but the pictures say it all!

Room Tip: The Tuna-1 cabana is closest to the bar and pool ;)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ashleigh B
Ojai, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I went out to Panama Big Game Fishing Club with my buddy to do some fishing and I have to admit it was AWESOME! It had to be the best fishing trip I have had in a long time.

I am a professional fishing guide myself so I spend the majority of my days on fishing trips and I have to say this trip to Panama was incredible! Battling the gigantic fish was INCREDIBLE! If you are looking to fight with some BIG FISH, then this is the place for sure.

The staff at the lodge is fantastic and food was great too! Thank you Panama Big Game Fishing Club, looking forward to making this trip again!
Tight Lines!

#1 of 3 in Isla Boca Brava
Las Lajas Beach Resort
Las Lajas Beach Resort
#1 of 6 in Playa Las Lajas

Been to Panama Big Game Fishing Club? Share your experiences!