“Excellent 85th Birthday Celebration”

Panama Big Game Fishing Club
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Excellent 85th Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

I celebrated my 85th birthday at PBGFC in February, and it was phenomenal!! I made an excellent choice of venue, and I can whole heartedly recommend PBGFC to any one without reservation. My guests all said that they had never experienced any trip like it. Your coordination of our travels was excellent. Upon our arrival at the docks, Captain Lee had everything organized and extended everyone a warm welcome and served us an excellent meal (with an adequate supply of beverages). The fishing was amazing, the equipment was new, the boats immaculate... they purred like kittens. Your director of fishing, Scott, did a great job of keeping my guests happy and entertaining us all with his knowledge of the sea and fishing. Everday when we returned, my friends swam in the beautiful pool, usually with a toddy in hand and would enjoy another excellent meal prepared by Captain Lee and his crew while enjoying the magnificent view from the lodge. It was a wonderful trip -- a fantastic 85th. I won't have another 85th, but I am busting my behind (trip advisor won't let me use the word that I had originally written) to find a way for a rapid return to PBGFC.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bruce P
mcharman, Owner at Panama Big Game Fishing Club, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Bruce it was a genuine pleasure to host you and your family to celbrate your 85th, we look forward to your return, for you to try out the new boat named in your honour.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

My husband and I visited PBGFC in February 2012 for a week to celebrate a dear friend's 85th birthday. I do not even know where to begin. Everything was perfect, and I was not a big sportfishing person... at least not until this trip! Travel from Atlanta to Panama City to David to Boca Chica and, finally, to the heaven that was PBGFC was easy and everyone we dealt with was helpful and accomodating. Each day, we awoke early to coffee outside the door, a big, delicious breakfast, and an extremely beautiful, comfortable sunrise boat trip out into the Pacific. We fished four amazing days... red snapper, black marlin, blue marlin, sailfish, and a big rooster fish. At the end of a full day of fishing, Tati and Narcisso (the best captain and first mate you could ever ask for) would run us by the tropical, deserted beach for a swim and a few cold beers. We would meet up with the whole crew poolside for appetizers (tuna sashimi, mahi ceviche, freshly fried snapper, buffalo wings... ) and drinks (thank you Victor!!!). We wined and dined on great food (and I live in Charleston, SC -- I know great food), visited and listened to stories before hitting the bed to be ready for another adventure the next day. The cottages had every amenity a person could ask for. Captain Lee made sure that each one of us had whatever we needed. Captain Scott and the rest of the fishing crews were wonderful and happy to show the novices of the group what to do. On my last day, the boys decided it was going to be the girls vs. the boys.... and Captain Tati made sure the boys regretted that decision! We hooked 3 marlin and brought 2 to the boat before 9 a.m. By 11 a.m., we had reeled in a 40 lb plus rooster fish, and we couldn't imagine what else we could do in one day of fishing. We are still talking about the trip daily. Mr. "C" and Captain Lee have created a first-rate, private resort for anyone wanting to relax and catch big game fish in the same week. BOOK YOUR TRIP NOW. You will not regret it. The scenery alone is worth it. Having said that, there is absolutely nothing so thrilling as reeling in a 450 lb marlin. Everyone should add PBGFC to his or her bucket list. Tight lines and good times. Ginny and Billy Shuman

Room Tip: We were in Tuna II.
3 Thank BillyShu
mcharman, Owner at Panama Big Game Fishing Club, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Thanks you so much for writing a lovely review of our resort, the guys tell me that they had as much fun as you did on your trip, We have just bought a sister ship to our existing Carolyna Classic called "Britches", which is having a brand new generator fitted (to provide ice cool air-con) prior to being shipped to the club, it is considered bad luck to re-name a boat, but we have a brand new custom built inshore boat being built right now,and will be ready for service in 8 weeks, would you be so kind as to ask Bruce if we have his permission to call this new vessel "The Bruce", as it is being kitted out with all the things he likes.

Please let me know, my email is mrc@panamabiggamefishingclub.com, and we hope to welcome you back next year, and Bruce has invited me along, so I am looking forward to joining in the fun. Tight Lines and thanks once again for fishing with us. Mr C
Cabo San Lucas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I'm writing this review from my wife's account, because I don't usually do reviews and don't have an account. My experience at PBGFC was memorable enough to make me go ahead and help spread the word.

We arrived in Panama City at the International Airport and our 1st class experience began there. I have travelled quite extensively, all over the states, central and south america, europe, etc. Never have I had such VIP service as I did when we arrived in Panama City. The PBGFC rep was there to meet us when we got off the plane. We were brought to a VIP lounge where we were served drinks, and had the chance to freshen up, check email, or read the paper while they took care of getting our passports stamped and gathering our luggage. No waiting in line, no hauling our gear. 1st class.

After making our way to the regional aiport and once again getting the VIP treatment we were off to David. In David we were once again greeted by a PBGFC representative, loaded into a very comfortable van and had a few beers on the short trip to the bay. After cruising across the bay in a small boat we reached one of the most beautiful lodges I have ever been to.

Our luggage was brought to our room while we were greeted by the staff, had our drink orders taken and were presented with huge plates of delicious ahi sashimi! The staff was incredibly attentive and friendly and were so throughout our entire trip.

After a wonderful dinner and few more drinks we were ready to hit the sack. We had a really nice room with a new 50+ inch flat screen "smart tv" that was loaded with shows, movies and most importantly awesome videos that previous clients had taken of their fishing adventures. We fell asleep watching action of huge 500+ lb Marlin and I for one had some wonderful dreams!

We were awoken the next morning to some excellent Panamanian Coffee and a great cooked to order breakfast. It was time to fish.

We made our way down to the boats, were introduced to our crew and were asked what we wanted to fish for and given a run down of what had been happening out on the water. Always nice to know what has been happening and even nicer to be asked what our goals were and what WE wanted to do.

I won't go into detail about every day on the water, but we fished two different boats with two different crews and both were outstanding. I am a boat owner myself, I have very extensive offshore fishing experience and have worked in the industry for many many years now. I can say that from the quality of gear, upkeep of boats, attitude of the crew and the hardworking nature of everyone involved, these guys are some of the best in the business.

Water temps were warmer than normal and the currents weren't ripping through the way we wanted, all in all, it was slow fishing by Panamanian standards. This of course meant that it was still better than any other place I have visited and fished. I've been on enough trips to know when the Captains and Mates are at their wits end, and they certainly were. They were ready for the fish to start biting, but we all know you can't make that happen. They pulled out everything they had in their bag of tricks and worked their tails off. When you get off a boat and don't catch what you expect, you can't complain if you see that your crew did everything in their power to get you the bites. I always set my expectations very high, you have to if you want to be successful right? It certainly doesn't mean the trip wasn't a huge success.

That being said, we still caught a ton of fish, some huge Sailfish, some huge Tuna, countless species of bottom fish in the Jack and Snapper family. We missed out on a Big Black or Big Blue Marlin, but that happens. I've caught enough of those personally, I just wanted to see some of the guys we were with try to tangle with a big fish and have to pass the rod off! Guess I'll just have to get back down there and do it again.

I have and will recommend Panama Big Game Fishing Club to anyone that will listen.

3 Thank RedRumBrooke
Thanks for the kind words my friend, coming from a charter boat operator who has just won the "best in Cabo" readers choice award, it means a lot, I look forward to fishing with you in May, and learning a secret or two from an operation not only admired by your clients but also by your peers. Tight Lines Mate and thanks once again.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Our trip to Panama Big Game Fishing Club was one of a kind experience. We fished hard for fours days and were rewarded for our efforts. Multiple pacific sailfish and a couple of 200lbs Tuna. See photos. My buddy needed a Black to nearly complete his royal flush of billfish but were denied. Leaves us eager to return.
My friend's father put on the trip for the four of us and he had visited PBGFC in the past. The new management/ownership has only increased a quality establishment and the service gets A+ in all departments. New capital put into the grounds, boats & equipment has paid off. Our captain and mate worked hard to find the fish and engaged us to make our time fishing a real hands on experience.
I cannot say enough about those guys.
The lodge was very clean and the food was off the hook!
Go to Panama Big Game Fishing Club, you will not be disappointed.
Tight lines,
Poncho

2 Thank PICO-Z
san marcos, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

This was my third trip to PBGFC and by far the best. The new swimming pool and upgraded rooms were a big plus this time. Nothing better than getting off the boat and jumping into a nice pool to cool down. The staff at the lodge was outstanding, the crew on the boat was great, these guys love to fish. We landed four or five nice sail fish, two nice yellowfin in the 130lb and 180lb range and lots of big red snapper. The food was again top shelf.

As an owner of a sportfishng company in Cabo I understand what clients are looking for and PBGFC now offers that with the new upgrades. As with any project there are still a few things in progress, but that did not take away from our great time.

We will be back for a fourth trip next year.

thanks again for a great time.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
3 Thank pj4806
Sorrento, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

I just experienced my first trip with Panama Big Game. I really didn't know what to expect. I highly recommend them to folks at all levels of experience. The accomodations were outstanding (I expected far less), the staff was extremely attentive (and entertaining), food was awesome, and of course, the fishing was World Class. Caught my first Black Marlin, and it made it worth the trip. These guys do it right!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Darrin A
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My 4 friends and I recently returned from our first trip to Panama, and our stay at the Panama Big Game Fishing Club. Capt. Lee had made arrangements for our transfers to the club upon arrival at the airport in Panama City; and from the moment we exited the plane and met the club's representative, everything went as smooth as could be. The quality of the club exceeded our expectations! The accommodations, food, and service were outstanding....as were the captains and crew. Special thanks to Victor (great rum and coke) and Steve (I'm missing that 5:00am wake up coffee outside the door) for jobs well done. We spent 4 days on the water and had a blast catching Sailfish, Tuna & Snapper with the highlight being a 300# Black Marlin and 250# Yellowfin Tuna (I can cross that off my bucket list). We also happened to be there for Super Bowl weekend; and Capt. Lee put out an outstanding spread. In addition to the wonderful meals prepared by Capt. Lee each evening, he makes a great pizza. I'm looking forward to my next trip to Panama and another great stay at PBGFC. Thanks Capt. Lee and staff for a wonderful experience. Bernie

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
#1 of 3 in Isla Boca Brava
Las Lajas Beach Resort
Las Lajas Beach Resort
#1 of 6 in Playa Las Lajas

Been to Panama Big Game Fishing Club? Share your experiences!