“Always like the hotel, but $$$ for extras”

Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Always like the hotel, but $$$ for extras”
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I always get this hotel for $45 on priceline and I love it. A typical Hyatt Grand Regency. Great rooms, great beds and in this case, recently renovated. They also have a great hot tub, sauna, etc....Tough to find anything wrong with the hotel itself.

However, the restuarant is very expensive. Food is good, but $6.50 for a beer and $9 for a glass of white wine. I don't mind paying that at a high class steak place, but come on, a hotel restuarant? And the entres? For a steak/salad an a couple drinks you are north of $50.

You also get dinged for $11 for paking but that is because its the airport..

I'll give it the max star rating, just don't go there hungry.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
HyattMgr9, Manager at Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport, responded to this review, January 26, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Intl Airport.

We are pleased that you frequent our hotel and enjoy our comfortable accomodations.

The hotel appreciates your feedback regarding the prices on the food and beverage prices and assure you that your comments will be reviewed by the management of the hotel.

We sincerely look forward to your next stay at the Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I have reviewed this hotel a couple of years back and for the most part I find both the service and the property have improved. From Julia at the front desk to the servers at the Olive Press the attitude of the employees is welcoming and supportive of all your travel needs. Since I wasn't traveling with my wife I acquired a non-smoking room and found it superior to the 3rd floor rooms they offer smokers.
And as others have said, you can't beat the location. It's nice to be able to relax after a long flight or be refreshed for the flight to come by staying at the airport.
My only gripe is that they no longer provide coffee makers in the rooms. Instead you get a coupon for a free morning cup at the bar in the lobby (and a small luke warm cup it was).
Tip: Try the Chicken Chowder at the Olive Press. Great winter soup.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
everywhere
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Hotel is nice, Stay away from Restaurant. Totally overpriced for what you get. Food quality is mediocre at best. Paid $23 for a plate of Pasta and three teeny, teeny pieces of meat (Stroganoff). I think my 7 year old son could make a better plate of food. Sauce was terrible.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 21, 2009

First impressions (mean a lot to me) - Ruby was very friendly at check in, flat screen tvs in the room and its QUIET in the room.....HOWEVER on the negative side there were no king beds, no Regency Club, no cups in the bathroom (second trip in a row), no digital thermostat in the room (old school one from the 1960s), goofy parking situation and a crappy work service dominated by a small fridge with no power outlets for my pc.

Please see my blog at http://talesfromtheroad-mwalno.blogspot.com/

It is strange to park here, although well marked, because you have to enter the long term parking lot and head to the hotel parking sign. I guess I will have to pay for it when I leave tomorrow (it was $11), but I don't know and there was nothing on the web site about it. It is also a bit confusing because you enter the property by an "entrance" sign, but really you are in the back by the meeting rooms. It is not well marked, and very awkward, to get to the front desk.

I arrived just after 5 pm and there was a line of 3 in front of me, but it moved quick because there were three people working the desk. Ruby checked me in and she was GREAT, but I was a bit ticked when told I had two doubles instead of a king bed....I just asked to be in the most quiet room they had. I was told it was, and I am in room 1127. I am surprised by how quiet it has been to this point (no plane noise at all, although I can hear hallway noise under the door).

The work space is AWFUL: there is a Haier fridge on top of the desk (don't understand why it is not under it) that takes up 1/4 of the desk. Most people I know work at night at the desk in the room. In addition there is NO power outlet to plug in my computer. I tried calling the "guest request" line and there was no answer, same outcome dialing "0", I finally got through to the front desk and the girl who answered was nice, but told me the outlets were in the corner by the window, by the clock on the nightstand and behind the dresser the tv sits on......all in a matter of fact way...when I said my power strip wouldn't reach she said there was nothing else she could do for that, but could she help me in any other way.....

I hung up and tried to move the dresser (no go), so I was getting ready to call the GMs office and dialed "0" again. This time I got John, he was friendly so I explained the issue again, and he immediately offered to send an extension cord up...why the first girl could not I don't get at all...the engineering department came right up, plugged it in, and let in less than a minute. Great service.

Went to the gym around 8:30 and its decent. 4 tread mills, 3 ellipticals, 4 bikes, few weight machines and dumbbells up to 50 lbs. Don't come here looking for a good lifting session. In addition, the controls on each of the ellipticals were broken......kinds of sucks.....

Headed down for breakfast and it was EXCELLENT!!! Great service from the host, excellent service from Allisa my waitress, and the food was really good. I had the buffet and selection was wide and varied, and there were only a few people having breakfast at 9 am. Very good, and and I would return for sure.

Overall, I liked the property, but am having issues getting past a few of the things that bothered me. There are many different choices just off the property, but it was easy for having 5 people fly in and join me for the ride downtown.

Total - $159.00 taxes = $181.26

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Stayed here on a recent trip to Disneyworld. Had a really early departure from Pittsburgh and didnt want to get up at the crack of dawn. Stayed at this Hyatt the night before, and it was perfect. No need to go outside, just leave the lobby and head straight for the Terminal. I read a posting about nothing in the area, other than the airport, and yes, that is true, but you can go to the landside terminal and there are some places to still get a snack, coffee, or soda. If I had to make an early flight again out of the Pittsburgh airport, we would for sure stay at this hotel!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 12, 2009

My daughter and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Airport this past Saturday night and it was a really nice experience. We booked on Priceline and got a really good rate. The hotel was immaculate. Our room was large and exceptionally clean. Flat screen TV, beautiful decor, along with a huge bathroom with granite tops and excellent toiletry items. We were at a Pirates game, and it only took us 15 minutes from PNC Park. We will make this our hotel of choice. A great place to stay!
Bob Pfister
Erie, Pa

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I honestly was a little surprised about the 3 star rating, I would rate this a 4 star. We booked this place on Priceline, great deal, because we needed to crash somewhere before our flight.

It was quite nice! Newly renovated, pleasant staff, and our room was a corner suite on the 4th floor with separate dining room area. The room was spacious, very clean, and also newly renovated with a wonderful view of the parking lot! (We're at the airport after all, no good view in the place!) We used the nicely equipped gym and indoor pool.

I also noted how quiet it was considering we were at the airport with planes all around.

Definitely recommend this place as it is right in the airport and and you can book on Priceline!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh Airport Marriott
#4 of 12 in Coraopolis
Embassy Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh - International Airport
Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport Hotel

Been to Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport? Share your experiences!