“Nice place to stay for a couple nights”

Hekerua Lodge Backpackers
Auckland, New Zealand
“Nice place to stay for a couple nights”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed here with my partner after new years and booked the double room. I originally wanted the ensuite room but it was taken =( The room was alot smaller than I thought, with a double bed and two small side tables and nothing else. It was pretty hot through the whole day and evening in there so you'd need to crank open the little window. The one thing I didn't see on the reviews (which would've strongly swayed my decision on staying here) is the rooster that will crow at 5am every day for a few hours and wake you. That sucks. Other than that, pretty cool place with large outdoor area with BBQ, awesome pool, deck, and spa. The long-term guests at that time were friendly as well (thank god). The owner seemed nice.

Room Tip: I don't think there's much more in the ensuite room, so perhaps go with a double instead. It...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Mallaig, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I came to Hekerua Lodge whilst travelling with two friends, initially planning on staying just one week...I've now been here for over a month.

When you are checked in at the lodge by the wonderful, welcoming office team, they ask you if you know that you are now in paradise? And paradise is the only word.

Surrounded by the native bush which allows you not only privacy, but a view of New Zealand's diverse wildlife. See if you can spot a tui whilst enjoying a BBQ in the campground or out on one of the decks.

Not to be overlooked is the beautiful fresh water pool and spa where you can relax after a long day's walking, beaching or just enjoying life int he lodge.

The lodge is excellently situated; only a short distance from the beach and very close to transport links if you want to go exploring the Island.

The lodge's facilities are excellent and the whole place is very well maintained and clean. The staff are always on hand to help you out. Give advice or just have a chat!

You are really encouraged to sit around one of the big tables and get to know the people you are living with, whether they are just spending a night or are a "long termer".

If you come to Waiheke, you have to come to Hekerua Lodge!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My rating is based on the horrific customer service I encountered at Hekerua Lodge. I am entirely forgiving of things like dirty floors and messy common areas, but I cannot abide rudeness. There are rules plastered everywhere which you must abide or apparently the management regime will kick you out. I personally dislike reading threats when I'm making my breakfast. It really ruins the vibe. Also, I know this is a business but being hounded for money by three staff is just vulgar.

Having said all of that, if you don't care about being treated like scum, then this might be the budget option for you. The rooms are brightly lit and super clean and the verandah/bbq area is very nice.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Miro room upstairs. I was kept awake all night by doors slamming when people went in...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jiggy J
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've just called them to ask about accomodation. The response was I was interrupted by them hanging up on me, because I only wanted to stay for one night. No really. It's not so hard to be polite. Or is it?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Vi S
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The rooms and common areas are beautifully clean with everything you need regarding kitchen appliances and utensils. The hostel is set in lovely native bush surroundings and has a great swimming pool/spa/barbeque area. These are the positives. Unfortunately, the night we stayed, the guy who ran the place was incredibly unprofessional. He turned up extremely intoxicated and proceeded to hassle the group that was staying there. He really needs to look at his management style. I'm all for people joining the party but if they're going to sleaze up to the girls and get aggressive it is not appreciated - especially if you're running the joint!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CB129
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

This backpacker is like to be in the middle of a little paradise. It's better to have a car or you like maybe to walk a lot, that we do. The beach is not far away and is really nice.
The room and everything else in common were clean and nice.
I only stay one night and I can tell that everybody and specially the staff were really nice and friendly.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2013

It's like tom (thomas, he is the owner) is sharing his home with us. Hekerua Lodge is the cleanest, most lovelyest hostel i have been in New zealand. The atmosphere is very familiar and its all about the different people coming together on the big table. You can sit down in the big backgarden and read a book, relax in the spa after a long day, sit infront oft the fireplce in a cold night... But there is also lots to see and to do on waiheke island. What are u waiting for??

Thank you tom for the best summer in my life. Glad i didn't stay just for one night ;) xx

Room Tip: Every room is very nice. It depends on what u want. Rimu 2 is the most expensive but also my favouri...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneroa
Waiheke Island Resort
Waiheke Wild Thyme
Waiheke Wild Thyme
#10 of 27 in Waiheke Island
Onetangi Beach Apartments

Been to Hekerua Lodge Backpackers? Share your experiences!