“A lovely place to stay”

Hekerua Lodge Backpackers
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“A lovely place to stay”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Nestling off the beaten track, it was a lovely place to stay for us during our trip to Waiheke island. It was clean, quiet, just like our home. The pool and jacuzzi were great to complete an exploring day. My friends and I all loved this hostel. Plus, "May Day" was a cute dog and quite famous!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here over the summer 2013 I found this place very friendly and welcoming. The staff are very helpful and will help you with you're your of the island. I loved it so much I stayed for a few months when I found work.
There is excellent facilities and a pool and spa which are good for those lazy days. Little oneroa beach is 5 minutes walk away and oneroa a local town 10 minutes walk.

Is a great place to meet plenty of people and meet new friends. There is also a camp ground where you can stay overall I would recommend this to any traveller or person wishing to stay for a few days

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed in a double room.

This hostel has the potential to be really lovely - it is in a nice building and has a pool and a jacuzzi. When I arrived I thought it could end up being the nicest hostel I had stayed at in NZ. My room was clean and nicely decorated, the kitchen looked modern and no dirtier than the average hostel and there are sufficient and clean showers.

However, issues before I arrived and issues that I noticed whilst staying actually made this my least favourite hostel in NZ.

When booking: when I asked how to get to the hostel the woman on the phone just said "oh, get the bus, they'll tell you". No bus number, no timetable, no bus stop name. Found a pamphlet at the ferry terminal and followed the instructions, hostel is a bit off the beaten track.

When arriving: was partially shown around but not told much important information - like how to get to the town, or the beach. No information available anywhere about what there is to do on Waiheke. Perfectly pleasant and told to "ask if I needed anything" but didn't see her again until the next evening and, although there seemed to be a lot of long term guests, it wasn't clear who worked there. After three days I still had no idea.

Room: has no chetain, meaning that if anyone goes onto the balcony (open access to all) they can see into the room.

Shower: only worked for about 1 minute. Then a cold trickle.

Noise: other guests made a lot of noise (or the walls are thinner than other places). I'm tolerant of noise and it did not bother me in other hostels when sharing a dorm but this was late and excessive. For example, someone extremely drunk (unable to walk) was wandering arousing shouting at 1.30, bumped into my bedroom door heavily, then started shouting aggressiveky off the balcony and then started having a loud argument with his girlfriend outside my bedroom door, which was all a bit frightening.

General attitude: one of the long term guests random started to insult me (totally out of the blue insulting my looks, insulting my country and city and even telling me i was cooking onions wrong and turning up the heat of the hob I was using without asking me. Weird) others seemed to have formed a friendship group of long term guests. As a lone short term guest I felt unwelcome - there were nothing set up to join in with even though the hostel was busy. There is also a menacing attitude about washing dishes (signs saying you will be thrown out and a security camera saying it is watching that you do the dishes...). Someone had nonetheless put away a glass the smelt so strongly of ouzo you could smell it from about 2 meters away!

Wifi does not work. In addition to the irritation of having to use prepaid wifi (no free Internet provided here, not even a low value voucher like in most other hostels) the wifi signal is not strong enough to be able to make a Skype voice call. I was able to do this in all other hostels I stayed at.

There is a cat and dogs here. Although The cat is cute the dogs growled and bit and fought each other really near me ( almost on me) for about 30 minutes until I moved. Their owner (does he work here? No idea) said "stop that" a couple of times but didn't actually stop them.

This place could be great if it was run professionally but seems to be designed for long term and really heavy drinking guests only.

If I was coming with a large group then it might be fun with the pool etc. but I would not return here alone or as a couple.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank rtwopinion
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 1 night and was satisfied with the lodge. Our twin room was upstairs and was small, clean, and comfortable. Bathrooms were just down the hall and were clean enough. Pretty much a typical backpacker with friendly staff. Some of the common areas were not very clean, but not unexpected for a typical backpacker. It is off the beaten path and a little difficult to find, but the wooded location is calm and relaxing. Has its own pool as well. I found it difficult to find a place on Waheke that would take a reservation for just one night, but this place did. No regrets staying there and would recommend it for a reasonably priced place to stay in Waheke.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed February 2, 2013

It would be hard to find a better place to stay on Waiheke Island.
Tom and his crew of helpers are a fantastic friendly team, I also have to mention that it is rare to find somebody like "Tom" who is so passionate about providing and environment for both the family and the lonely traveler looking for some friends.

The Pool and spa area is just amazing and helps get the sand out of your ears gathered from the beach not even 5 minutes away.

All my best memory's of my stay on Waiheke happened at Hekerua Lodge and with the people I meet there, during my stay I would of seen 80 percent of travelers change there plans to stay longer.

In terms of cleaning........... spotless! and the beds and cotton soft sheets are lovely :-)

Enojoy!
By far the best place on Waiheke........ TY Tom

Room Tip: Rimu 2 with the ensuit
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deconorca
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Awesome weekend away. Great friendly, very relaxed host and staff. Nice to see they can socialize with the guests when they want yet at other times just leave everyone to themselves. Great place to meet lots of different people and have a good relaxing weekend. Great pool and spa. Clean tidy rooms (even though i stayed in a tent) Easy walk to the beach and shops. I will be back and my first task will be to take out the rooster and claim the bounty.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 1 night and when we checked in everything seemed ok. Our private room was clean and pretty much what we expected. We spent the whole day exploring the island and when we came back we spent most of our time in our room relaxing and the place was quiet, but not for long. After dinner the TV in the lounge room was turned on full blast and and at first we thought a fight broke out but it was just the very loud movie being watched. The kitchen was dirty and I couldn't find a clean cup anywhere. In the morning I guess I was in the shower a little too long (5-7 mins tops) and the male host, forgot his name, run up the stairs and pounded on the door very violently. He proceed to tell me to [--] off as well as a few other choice words and that I needed to get out of there ASAP. After that we left immediately and didn't look back. We both work in hospitality and I have to say that was the worst attitude I have ever seen. Cute hostel but definitely not worth it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mook G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneroa
Waiheke Island Resort
#7 of 27 in Waiheke Island
Midway Motel Waiheke Island
Midway Motel Waiheke Island
#7 of 9 in Waiheke Island

Been to Hekerua Lodge Backpackers? Share your experiences!