“Lovely and Relaxing”

The Europe Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fossa
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Great stay here- rooms are simple but its best as a spa location. Fantastic ESPA spa which is the real spa brand of luxury, lovely therapists and the ladies on reception in the spa and leisure centre were so genuinely lovely. The view from the SPA and the fitness level is truly spectacular. Spa cafe smoothies were great and the service there was exceptional also. There is a lovely girl -eastern european- who took care of us for lunch for two day and could not have been nicer. Even offering to write out the smoothie recipies for us!!
The place can feel a bit quite at night- we're in our early thirties and just seeking a good spa and good food- so we dont mind and ther is a mature crowd ( ie older than us happy young fogies). Re food, the brasserie restaurant was lovely and resonably prices. Dishes not always spot on- bbizzare citrus sea bass dish was a bit horrible and didn't work- but good for the basics- steaks, yummy fish and chips, soups, etc.

Breakfast is a bit of a let down, bit mass catering vibe, no nice eggs enedict or such like just continental brekkie or a big greasy fry. i think juices should be always freshly squeezed in 5 star hotel but that is a smaller detail I guess. All in all, very relaxing enjoyable stay. Dont dare miss the spa!!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Giveme5stars
Write a ReviewReviews (2,516)

Reviewed September 10, 2009

I, too, was lucky enough to attend the convention here with my husband.
Location - wonderful, in the heart of unspoilt countryside with glorious views of the lake and mountains behind. A little remote for some as a couple of miles out of town.
Rooms - as others have described, we had lovely lake/mountain views from our balcony, real WOW factor. Very well appointed, and yes, we too had the problem with the shower overflowing onto the floor, put a towel down for this! No tea/coffee making facilities, and although we could have charged it to the company I wasn't prepared to pay $4.00 per cup of coffee plus $2.00 service charge for room service! Wi-Fi worked in room but was very slow.
Staff - everyone was lovely and very attentive.
Food - Excellent, and considering the number of people being served at once this was just brilliant.
Spa - we didn't use the gym (too lazy), but did use the pools which were lovely. Also changing facilities were very good, and staff at spa were most helpful, showing us where everything was.
Public areas - all very nicely presented and comfortable.
Gardens - a bit too geometric for me!
Architecture - also very square, quite ugly from outside really, not sure if it is in keeping with the area or not. I believe it was built by a German company!
Value - now I am not too sure about this, I think some of the bar bills were quite steep. I think if we were paying for ourselves we wouldn't have stayed here! But if you get a chance to come on business, or as some sort of special occasion, I would definitely recommend that you do.

1  Thank niftynotfifty
Reviewed September 2, 2009

We booked a lakeview room at the Europe for one night but loved it so much we stayed for 2 nights. The spa especially is the most wonderful I have ever been too - there is an outside heated vitality pool, indoor pool and indoor salt pool too, but I must say the treatments are very expensive.

We ate in the Brasserie on both nights and the food is very good and service excellent. Breakfast is served in their Panorama restaurant and was top notch as well - you certainly won't leave hungry. The bar is extremely cosy and traditional. The hotel was not busy either which was a plus as most of the time we had the pools to ourselves. Would definitely return at some point

1  Thank MsMarple1
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I had the honour of staying at The Europe Hotel for four nights. It was absolutly fabulous. I went along with my husband and 398 other delegates for a big conference. We took over the whole hotel. The staff were so lovely and caring and nothing was too much for them. All so helpful and warm.
The bars were very inviting and we thought the brasserie food was good regardless of the previous comment. I personally wouldnt order pizza and chips !! Considering the hotel were catering for so many, the food was really good.
The spa was amazing and it was lovely laying out in the thermal pool outside, bubbles all around me in the pouring rain at such a warm temperature. It was all incredibly clean too.
The only downside i can think of was in the bathroom. It had a full bath etc and a wet room ( large shower head and large shower tray that was only an inch lower from the main floor with no slope. I was ok ish in it but my husband kept flooding the whole bathroom floor, so much so the water was running onto the carpet in the hallway. Otherwise the hotel bedroom was very comfortable.
I will most definately go back again. Brilliant stay.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

I'm writing this on the Hotels guest computer waiting for a coach to take us to Cork Airport. We have just had the most excellent time here at the Europe. Fantastic staff who could not make you more comfortable. Our Convention went without a hitch and a special thanks to the Conference centre staff specially the AV technician, sorry I forget your name but he was so helpful and professional. Also thanks to the waiters and waitresses along with the chefs who put on some incredible food for us. Time now to go home and get back to work but thanks again to all at the Europe - we had a ball!

Reviewed August 24, 2009

We went to Hotel Europe for bank holiday weekend for a romantic getaway… We got into our lake view room and discovered that the light in the bathroom isn’t working (it would turn itself on and off). We called the reception and they promised to send someone to fix it. We unpacked and headed to the bar for a bit of lunch. The bar deco is fab, great view and good service. Food was very disappointing though – we ordered pizza and chips to share. How can you go wrong with that? Well, you can. Chips weren’t fresh and pizza had such thick and hard crust you could barely stick knife into it… After that we went back to the room, got changed and went to the spa. The spa is absolutely AMAZING. Facilities, staff, views – everything is just… something else… Best spa I’ve ever been to! Got a massage there as well and it was brilliant! While I was enjoying my treatment, my husband went back to the room and while he was taking shower the light went off. So quite upset he went downstairs to get it sorted. Shortly they sent technician to fix the light but at the end we were advised we have to move rooms. The staff came up to the room (different people) 3 times to tell us to move and 3 times my husband explained that he wants to wait for me to come back from the spa. At the end housekeeping came up too which really annoyed my husband. Eventually we were shown the room they wanted us to move too, which was upgrade to junior suite which was … a twin! So we said no to that room and got std double room on 1st floor (with bit worse view then previous one). You would expect after all that hassle the hotel would send a bottle of vine to the room or something, but nothing like that happened. In the evening we went to the restaurant where we had lovely meal (their special sea food dish to share) and dessert buffet. It was good until we went to bed and my husband was sick all night. Must have been bad mussel as I was feeling ok, but after the events of the whole day we were not happy at all to say the least.
In general the location, the spa and common areas are great. 5+ But in my view the hotel part is a big let down I would say in low 4 star standard. For example, there were great massive 2 piece sliding doors to the balcony. I imagine 2 large pieces of glass to take full advantage of the lake view… but it was blocked by awful metal balustrade. Also on the balcony 2 cheap plastic chairs! Far from 5 star standard…
We will definitely never go back there again.

2  Thank Ostola
Reviewed August 20, 2009

The location of this property is spectacular and there are some wonderful points to mention for this Hotel.
1. The Hotel has been purchsed by a German company and their level of investment in some areas is beyond compare in terms of design and soft furnishings.
2. The central block of the Hotel is refurbed, as are the grounds & these are very inpressive.
3. The Spa is outstanding & rates as one of the best spas I have ever visited in the Uk, Ireland or the far East.
4. The quality of the public areas is excellent, sofas, art, floor coverings- are all stunning.
Now the poor aspects-
1. Arrogant complacent Reception staff.
2. Step back in time to the 1980's bedrooms, although somewhat revarnished with new windows, they are not up to the same standard as the public areas.
3. The bathrooms are good, although with an odd glass box arround the bath which is good for the shower, but you are encased if you are bathing.
4. A barely 4* breakfast, with a poorly laid out Buffet & greasy hot section, poor queue flows and equally poor service. The lady manning the Egg station deserves mention as efficient and pleasant.
5. Evening Dinner- rushed, poor quality, and again the 1980 brass & glass restaurant which can be opened up into a huge function space, no intimate dinning here!

In short ,a Hotel of mixed messages, but a stunning location, with the usual high prices that Hotels with delusions of grandeur charge.

1  Thank Robert W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fossa
1 mi away
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#14 of 38 in Killarney
International Hotel Killarney

Been to The Europe Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!