“True 5 star - but clarify room number in advance” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Europe Hotel & Resort

The Europe Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fossa
dublin
“True 5 star - but clarify room number in advance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Just back for this excellent hotel on the edge of Killarney
If you love views - this is your hotel .
Ground floor lake views beginning with the number 5 may NOT have balconies and as happened to me was sold as a Lakeside room - No Way - I got a room change with a slight struggle - thank you to the receptionist .
Restaurant is excellent . Breakfast and dinner - lunch on the terrace is wonderful - - Tge Spa is good - 4th floor bedrooms are the best - room 402 was brilliant -
Horse riding staff very friendly - as are all the staff here - well done Hotel Europe keeping standards High - but please don't sell those balcony rooms as 'lakeside' clearly belong in a different price range . - still despite this HIV-cup - I award 5 stars - Pilish staff in restaurant very professional - great lounge music - live - bread baked fresh daily .

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had a wonderful time at The Europe hotel. The grounds are beautiful with a wonderful spa. Make sure you plan some time to enjoy the outdoor hot tub overlooking the lake and mountains. The sauna and salt water pools were also amazing.

And, nothing beats having your included breakfast with a panoramic view of the national park. It's just breathtaking.

I'd also recommend going into the town center for the evening and checking out the shops and pubs nearby. It's only about a 5 minute drive and worth the experience.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed here for 3night. Stunning views, and I mean stunning!!! Excellent food!!! Friendly staff. Will most def be back!!! I highly recommend it. Kerry is the kingdom and this hotel is the caste :)))))

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel, amazing view, food not great. Worth it for the rooms, the view and the fab pool. Killarney itself not a lovely town. hotel staff super helpful an friendly. I would stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2011
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

No need to repeat what's already been written about this hotels location and the spectacular views. except that you get the view from almost anywhere in the hotels public rooms. The food is excellent and the staff amazing. The spa is first class with an outside infinity pool. The rooms are well equipped and spacious with all the amenities one would expect and the beds are very comfortable. However, just as on a liner, the best rooms with the best views are on the upper deck with less spacious and less well equipped on the lower floors. I stayed 4 days midweek and never waited for service or felt that it was overcrowded This hotel rates as one the best i've stayed in and would thoroughly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake, preferably on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here as part of a special offer in conjunction with a sister property, Ard Na Sidhe at Lake Caragh. The hotel is located just outside of Killarney town and seriously, no expense has been spared on the public areas in this property. Our check in was handled efficiently if a little robotic and we were assigned a room as soon as we arrived which was pleasing. Many of the rooms overlook the lakes and all of these rooms are designed with a balcony to enjoy the views. Our room was clean and well finished but I don’t think the bedrooms are finished to the same standard as the public areas. Two other points I would highlight and found quite disappointing in a five star hotel are there is no air conditioning facility and while there is an electronic mini bar, there are no selection of glasses to match the beverages available ie. slim jims, champagne flutes, tumblers for whiskey, scotch etc. I also requested additional toiletries as my husband and I had both used what had been provided before we got ready for the evening. I was asked if we needed these this evening (which would have been nice given that we planned to use them in the shower the following morning!) – I felt this a little irritating but the requirements were delivered to our room within minutes.

We had dinner in the Panorama Restaurant which is large and beautifully decorated. We were lucky to have been looked after by Tommy on arrival and Katrine during our meal. Both members of staff are a credit to the restaurant in indeed the hotel itself. Katrine was truly excellent – attentive, polite, professional, knowledgeable about the dishes and friendly without being too informal. Few restaurants would be lucky to have such a strong customer facing employee. The food is of a very good standard (though the main courses were not very hot at all) and I was a little disappointed with the presentation given this is a five star hotel.
Our stay later on that evening went rather downhill – we were kept awake by loud singing on the terrace by other guests until 2.30am. Given there is no air conditioning in the rooms, we left our balcony door open which obviously didn’t help with keeping the noise out. I was annoyed that it seemed that the night manager on duty didn’t appear to reprimand these guests out of respect to those who were sleeping (or at least trying to).

Breakfast at hotel is buffet style which I dislike at five star level. However the choice of fruit, cereals, yogurts, cheeses, pastries and breads is very good. Eggs are cooked to order by a chef based at the hot plate and an interesting addition of pancakes to the menu (though not cooked order) made breakfast very enjoyable for us. My husband did comment that he felt the sausages were not of the best quality and would have expected better in this type of hotel.

We returned to our room to enjoy the views before checking out only to be disturbed by a member of the accommodation who entered our room and asked quite directly when we intended to check out – it was still only 11.30am and departure time is clearly stated as noon. This REALLY irked me and along with the lack of air conditioning and late night singing, I made a decision to raise these issues on check out.

Our bill was already printed when I approached reception but instead of being asked how we enjoyed our stay the receptionist was more interested in the method of payment I planned to use on settling our account. I made it clear to her that I had some issues I wished to raise before agreeing on payment and she summoned a duty manager with whom I discussed my disappointments, particularly regarding the noise and what seemed a lack of action on the part of the hotel to terminate it. The duty manager responded firstly by outlining it is not a requirement of a five star hotel to provide an air conditioning facility in bedrooms and regarding the noise, he stated that the guests had been warned about noise but refused to listen and finished up with “well, what can you do – people are people”. I didn’t accept this as satisfactory and said so – I felt that the comfort of the majority of guests was being compromised for a small few who didn’t respect anyone else in the hotel. He was, to be fair very apologetic about the intrusion of the accommodation team and to conclude the discussion, we came to a very fair arrangement regarding my bill. Despite this, I am not sure if I would return to the Europe Hotel – there are too many small points which are overlooked at this level and for a standard room which costs in excess of 200 euros a night, I would like to at the very least enjoy a comfortable room temperature and not worry about late night singing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CelticTraveller1977
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is simply a superb hotel one of the finest I've stayed in anywhere in the world. Their pool and spa facilities are absolutely stunnings and the restaurants fabulous. If you have the opportunity to ever stay there take it you too will be impressed.

Room Tip: rooms with a lake view
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fossa
The Killarney Park Hotel
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 39 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,433 reviews
Loch Lein Country House

Been to The Europe Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!