Cannards Well
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
George Hotel(Castle Cary)
Good 3.5/5
Horse Pond Inn(Castle Cary)
  • Restaurant
Wookey Hole Hotel(Wookey Hole)
Babington House(Babington)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewssunday carverycauliflower cheesetop floorfull englishno fussbent over backwardsspacious bathroomsky tvporkpub hotelfriendly place to staygood sizean ideal locationsteaknothing too much troublefeel very welcomefamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I am staying at the Cannards over the next couple of months while working in the area.
The two rooms that I have stayed in at present have turned out to be clean & comfortable. The first room is a very small double & lacks working room. The second room was larger with it's own sitting room area, & this room was considerably larger. Both rooms were quiet with the sleep quality being good. Faily good location for me as it is only 8 miles from where I am working. The rates are very good & the breakfasts & evening meals are substantial, I have yet to finish one completely. The hotel residents appear in the main to be contractors during the week. As always, hotels take some knocks & bangs & there is a constant need for re decoration. The hotel staff & very friendly & the atmosphere is pleasent.
All in all a good value hotel, not the Ritz but excellent value for the rates they charge.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We have been to the canards many times over the past year usually on a Sunday with the in laws. The Sunday carvery has to be experienced to believe it, there is usually a choice of 4 meats and you get a choice of 1 or all of them. There is probably 8 different vegetables with yorkshires and crackling, the following on a Sunday is now so great that booking a table is recommended. Puddings are great too but the problem is fitting it all in.

We also sampled the a la carte menu on 31 October and I had the chicken in a white wine sauce which was delightful. Jase had the burger and it was awesome and that is coming from a burger conninsieur !!

I haven't personally stayed at the hotel but I did put my work experience lady in the hotel for 2 weeks, which she enjoyed and felt safe considering she was 21 yrs old.

I definitely would recommend a visit especially for the Sunday carvery, nice one Jim !

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Their web page does not tell you it is on a busy road and there is a large excavation site on the carpark, however this is the least of your worries, it is so filthy and unattractive that we didn't stay to see our room, a drink in the bar amongst the dirty plates and a look at the cleanliness of the place made us look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank nsteggel
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night break as attending an event at showground. On arrival we received a lovely welcome from the landlord Jim & enjoyed a drink & a chat before being shown to our rooms. We had booked a suite, I had suite c & my friend had suite f, & we were more than happy with our rooms. Lovely large rooms, sky television, plenty of hot water & comfy bed. What more could you need. Admittedly, the road was quite noisy but what do you expect when you are staying on a busy road???? It is clear to see that the hotel is situated on a main road so you are going to experience traffic noise, but I honestly wasn't kept awake at all. We ate both nights & the food was superb. Our husbands were late back from the event but the kitchen stayed open until their return & fed 8 of us top quality food at 10 o clock on a Saturday night! You don't experience that kind of customer service very often. As for the breakfast, I have to say that it was delicious......... lovely quality & well cooked. Well done breakfast chef!
Yes, there is maintenance being carried out, so what.......it didn't affect our stay at all. If you want a pristine hotel go & stay somewhere else & pay the money. If you want a great value hotel, with great food & very pleasant local staff then don't hesitate to book.
Thanks for a great stay & we are all looking forward to returning next year.
The hotel is

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2012

we live local to the cannards, and always have had a really good meal. we visited so saturday the 20th, and found the food has managed to reach a even higher standard, good size portion, nice and hot, nice and quick polite service. the bar is very well stocked. and above all that the very warm welcome given by the staff is a real treat. great evening. thankyou

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family