“Don't go there for the camping!”

Stowford Mill Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Wingfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 1, 2013

It's probably unfair to lump this in with the B&B (which might be excellent) but just a warning - the campsite is not great. Near to noisy main road, basic wash facilities, no shop (for basics like milk/bread/cereal). 3 of our party went down with vomiting and we're pretty sure it was due to the grubby toilets.

On the plus side there is an old WWII pill box (fun for kids) and a river which makes for a refreshing swim (you can take a walk to the next field and pay a small fee to the local swimming club to use their facilities). But of course you can use these from the B&B.

I've given this a 3* rating only because I don't want to unfairly penalise the B&B, otherwise it would be lower. There isn't a separate entry for the campsite and I'm not sure how to add one!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Stowford Mill Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here 1 night after visiting Longleat safari park ( about 20 mins away). As we had booked it fairly last minute and found it on an internet search, I was fairly open minded as to what it would be like. We weren't disappointed. As a family of 5 ( 3 children) we stayed in a self contained loft conversion of one of the old outbuildings. Via an easy staircase there are 2 double bedrooms, the larger of the 2 with an extra single bed. A bathroom on this level too and downstairs a shower room. Rooms are comfortable and well appointed and full of character. Tony and Gail are extremely welcoming and we had a delicious cream tea while waiting for our room. Breakfast was superb with lots of choice. The whole farm is so pretty it was a pleasure staying there and a good base to explore the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank itsnotmuchtoaskisit
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights whilst working at the Phoenix Flight centre nearby. B&B is fantastic. Lovely historical buildings, a mill stream flowing under the building. Fantastic breakfast, farm milk and bacon from next door. Nice rooms, fast wifi, ensuite shower. Can't go wrong here. Would come again for a weekend break!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My friend & I decided to spend a weekend in Bath.I became rather frustrated at the lack of reasonable accomodation available in Bath itself and happened upon this lovely B & B in Wingfield just outside of Bath. Boy,what a little gem! We stayed in the hayloft amongst the teapot collection,little vases of wild flowers & quirky books. You have have to step over beams as well as duck under them & the one night I forget to duck & nearly scalped myself my friend & I laughed 'til we cried.The cream teas are fabulous & our breakfast was heavenly.Gail recommended a lovely pub in Bradford Upon Avon for our evening meal which was spot on. If you're looking for quaint & everything English this is the place for you!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sandra w
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I visited Stowford Manor Farm as a "special highlight stop included in my trafalgar tour. My tour group was the first to visit Stowford as trafalgar had change the location of the devonshire tea to this new place, although it took some time to find, and after a few phone calls by the tour director we eventually made it. Apparently the electronic navigator took us the scenic route to the farm.

The wait was well worth while the farm was stunning, very lush and green, we did a tour alot of the external buildings with the owner and were given some history on Stowford Manor Farm. There were pigs and cows in there respective pens. Also there were quite a few people camping and actually swimming in the creek. ( A little cold for me).

The accommodations at the farm include both camping and loft style accommodation. I cannot comment on this but I would think from the majority of what I had seen it would be comfortable.

The devonshire tea was EXCELLENT. The scones were quite large and filling, the clotted cream was very thick. you actualy needed to use a teaspoon to put it on the scone, the strawberry jam was also delicious and of course coffee or tea were also included. All served in traditional atmosphere with cream jug and sugar bowl.

I would absolutely recommned this as a place to visit even if it is just for the devonshire tea.
The farm website is www.stowfordmanorfar,.co.uk

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Superb from the moment we checked in with Gail and Tony,so friendly and welcoming.Read about the breakfast but you have to stay here to find out yourself what you are about to eat.Ok cereals are the norm but then comes the Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit,6 or 7 varieties,and then comes the feast of the Full English Breakfast,it is truely stunning and I love my food,you get the works,sausage and bacon from the local pigs,baked beans,mushrooms,small fried pototoes,fried tomato,new laid egg,black pudding if you like that sort of thing and either toasted muffin or toasted bread ,coffee or tea and it just keeps coming.Lovely room ,lovely towels and bed linen and all set in a beautiful location.We had 3 nights here and will return next Spring.We stayed from 1st September until 4th 2012.Friendly guests as well and so breakfast time was a sheer pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

A gem of a B&B with charming hosts Gail & Tony who provided a fantastic breakfast! Set in stunning countryside and was ideal for me as my daughter and her family were camping in the field attached. Very peaceful place :)

Room Tip: Any! A great nights sleep with just the water to listen to -bliss!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wingfield
Widbrook Grange
Fieldways Hotel & Health Club
Hilbury Court Hotel
Hilbury Court Hotel
#3 of 17 in Trowbridge

Been to Stowford Mill Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!