English Country Garden B&B
Agoda.com
Hotel North(North Sydney)
$122
$85
All reviewscape bretoncabot trailsmall lakebed and breakfastsitting roomgrounds are beautifulprivate cottagekayak tripnational parklocation was perfectnight stayminute drivemoosehostsferrylawnhomemade
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I enjoy spending our Valentine's getaway at English Country Gardens B & B, and have done so for the past five years straight. The owners, Ian & Penny, are such gracious hosts, with caring attention to all details concerning the accommodations and meals. We were pampered this year with wonderful gourmet fair, including quail (marinated and roasted with pear and a brandy & currant sauce); beef wellington (with pastry to die for, and vegetables roasted to perfection) and a sinfully rich and decadent belgian chocolate dessert. Just describing this makes my mouth water for more. We would definitely recommend this inn, with themed rooms, and hospitality to spare. You owe it to yourself to experience it if you are in the area or planning to visit the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Westiespencer, Owner at English Country Garden B&B, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Over the years for our Valentine's Dinner we have introduced one or two new dishes .This year it was the quail baked in a pear and the Belgian chocolate and Marscapone with fresh raspberry dessert .Betty and Graham judged the dinner to be the best ever ! They have stayed with us several times over the past years in winter ,spring and summer . It has always been a delight and a reward to serve them .

Penny and I achieve so much satisfaction from preparing and serving food ,especially when it is really appreciated .We also enjoy all aspects of hosting guests at our B & B whatever season of the year,

Ian,
The English Country Garden B &B .

Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Iris suite which I highly recommend. The suite was up some steep stairs, so travelers should be forewarned (there are other suites that are more easily accessible if needed), but then it was a world of privacy. I still dream about the tub (really comfortable, especially after a long day of driving and hiking) and the bedroom was soothing grays and purples and really felt like an oasis. Ian and Penny clearly have an eye for detail. The breakfast was pear-ginger pancakes that were really delicious, served with an assortment of sides. The table was set with the same eye to detail - it was a formal sit down breakfast if such a thing exists! While we ate, a hummingbird hovered just on the other side of the window! Ian and Penny were very gracious about the fact that, because of hikes and driving over from Cheticamp, we arrived a bit late. We had a kayak trip booked in the morning, so we couldn't linger, but it would have been nice to spend more time there. The night we were there dinner wasn't an option, and I agree with other posters who say it's a bit of a long drive after dinner back to Ian & Penny's (especially if you've already driven that day). I would not hesitate to recommend a stay here and would happily go back if I ever have the opportunity. It was one of my two favorite places that we stayed during our entire trip. (Note to reader: I actually stayed August 2011, but have been slow to post a review.)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Westiespencer, Owner at English Country Garden B&B, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Thurstonhawk,

Better late than never as they say and thank you so much for such an heartwarming review .It is always reasuring to know that the efforts of Penny and I and our staff are appreciated .

We shall be reinstating our Fine Dining option year round in 2013 . Also there will be more local eating options available in our immediate area this year ,thereby lessening the drive after an exhilarating day in the glorious outdooors of the Cabot Trail.

Happy holiday planning for 2013 !

Yours sincerely ,

Co-owner,
The English Country Garden B & B .

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Last year my husband and I were married at the English Country Garden and everything went perfectly. For our one year anniversary my husband surprised me as we returned for another stay. Ian and Penny were again gracious and did everything possible to make our anniversary one we would never forget. Ian prepared the same meal that he had prepared one year earlier on our wedding day and even secured my favourite bottle of champagne. This year however the restaurant was closed during the months of August and September but Ian and Penny opened the restaurant especially for us. The same table was exquisitely adorned with a fabulous tablecloth and place settings. The food was even better than last year as well! The details were worked out in advance between my husband and Ian unbeknownst to me and executed in a perfect manner. Thank you Ian and Penny for making my one year anniversary as memorable as my wedding day!

Lynda Campo

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Westiespencer, Owner at English Country Garden B&B, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

It is always a delight and a pleaseure to welcome guests to The English Country Garden B & B .How much more so when that couple is,in this case Linda and Steve who were returning for their first wedding anniversary after having been married at the English Country Garden a year before in a simple ,beautiful ceremony on the porch of Rose Cottage.

It is certainly gratifying to know that my cooking ,along with fine wine ,improves with age !

We shall be resuming for 2013 our Fine Dining experience year round ,this by popular demand .Our fine dining is not just about the food ,it is about the art of the table with silver ,linen,crystal ,fresh flowers and china .We provide small pods of space for intimate dining .It is all about the total experience ,

With very best wishes ,

Co-owner.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed in the Rose Cottage which provided privacy and a very large comfortable cottage that included a bottle of wine and some chocolate. The location was well suited for a stay on Cape Breton to travel the Cabot Trail. The breakfasts were special and very delightful. The dining area has a wonderful view of a small lake and attractive grounds. Ian was a very warm and personable host who provided good directions and recommendations.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Westiespencer, Owner at English Country Garden B&B, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

On behalf of my wife Penny and our staff Diane and Avery I should like to thank all those guests who have taken the time to write such wonderful and helpful comments and reviews on Trip Advisor .They really do help.

We also want to take this opportunity to wish all our past, present and potential customers a very Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year .

In 2013 we shall continue to do our utmost to create an unforgetable positive experience for you at The English Country Garden B & B .The gardens will be the recipient of more attention including The Heron Walk and a new glass installation ,The Lost Sole down near the lake ,

With very best wishes ,

Co-owner.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Penny and ian have been lovely hosts and it is obvious that they love what they are doing. All rooms have been decorated by different themes with a high degree of originality, eye for detail and quality so travelers can fully relax and enjoy their stay. These people know what they are doing and we would very much enjoy coming back during our next visit to cape breton. thumbs up for their lovely b&b

• Stayed: November 2012