“Enjoyable evening Meal.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Somerset Wagon

The Somerset Wagon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Family ran country pub.
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable evening Meal.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were in the area visiting my in-laws who have recently moved to Chilcompton and with it being my birthday the previous day, they suggested we went to The Somerset Wagon for a meal. The food was very good and we all enjoyed it very much. The pub was very busy but the waiting staff coped very well and I would thoroughly recommend going here but be sure to book a table. We all had 3 courses and it worked out about £24 a head without drinks.

• Visited April 2014
landlord9, Owner at The Somerset Wagon, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you very much for your review and im glad to hear you enjoyed your evening with us . I hope your in-laws are enjoying Chilcompton its a lovely village full of very nice people. Look forward to cooking for you again.

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Nice pub lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Went to The Somerset Wagon a couple of weeks back for a pub lunch after living abroad for the last 2yrs. We missed a good ole pub lunch and The Somerset Wagon certainly didn't disappoint.

It isn't the first time I have been there and for sure we will return again!

• Visited April 2014
Thank you so much for your positive feedback all my staff work very hard and its very rewarding to hear from customers that have enjoyed their time with us and return for more.
London, United Kingdom
“Worst meal ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Party of four on a Monday lunchtime. Food was obviously reheated leftovers, chips were very hard as was the scampi, and lasagne was tough and very dry. Would not go there again.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Jaun O
landlord9, Owner at The Somerset Wagon, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
possibly the rudest I have ever read on tripadvisor and I do hope you feel very proud of your outrageous comments, with regards to you not returning, for making such upsetting remarks that have upset all the staff you are certainly not welcome to return.
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Busy friendly pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We meet up with friends on a regular basis, and take turns to choose where to meet.
We checked Trip Advisor and liked the reviews. We were not disappointed, the pub was very busy
And very noisy, but in a good way.
There was a good choice of food on the menu, our orders were taken in a professional manner, and were read back to us, to ensure there were no mistakes.
There was a wait between courses, but they do warn you about this on the menu, we were not in a hurry, so this was fine with us , and to be honest, it is nice not to be rushed!
The food was hot, and well presented, although not top restaurant style, but this is to be expected and reflected in the surroundings and prices.
Our only criticism is there was not a good vegetarian menu, if you don't like goats cheese you are pretty stuffed really, however, they did substitute the goats cheese for cheddar cheese, on the caramelised red onion tart, but this was only possible because they add it before serving.
Overall, the price and food was good, and well worth a visit.
One last thing, you would have to have a very good throw if you wanted to reach Weson Super Mare!

• Visited March 2014
landlord9, Owner at The Somerset Wagon, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and that the girls looked after you. As you experienced It does get very busy and it can get noisy especially after local cricket matches or birthday celebrations etc. but that is expected in a lively village pub (not many of us left)

We have a very experienced and talented Head Chef who is more than capable of producing top restaurant style food but this is a country pub in the heart of Somerset and although the main menu is adequate for a pub our Chef is always adding new popular dishes to the specials boards

The vegetarian selection as you pointed out is an area that needs sorting and I can assure you we are in the process of producing a range of vegetarian options

once again thank you for your feedback and hopefully you will return soon.
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
“A local country pub with heart”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Visited 14th February 2014

<Fanfare of Trumpets> my 200th review!

Valentine's evening is not a bad time to test out an eating establishment.
As it is 5 min by car away from where I live this was not a difficult assignment. Instinct prompted me to take an early slot so we booked in for 6:30 PM and as events proved that was a good thing.

When you enter the establishment you should be prepared for a lively group of locals at the bar but they are pleasant people with a good sense of humour and are not disruptive at all.

There were three chefs on duty this evening and my goodness they were needed. We got served on time but I noticed that those who arrived after 7.30 had to wait a long time; there was a birthday party of 14 people who were still waiting when we left.

My only criticism of the staff is that they were not dressed in the house style. One person behind the bar had such large false eyelashes they nearly fell off (typical male statement I know) and another bar lady had not bothered to change for what is let's face it rather a special evening for many.

The tables were decorated with little sweets and metallic confetti. I go to this place yearly because they do not have Valentine specials, in other words an opportunity to overcharge but just do what they do well which is serving food. I had the most delicious leg of lamb and other half had a salmon special. Including starters and mains, plus 3 glasses of Shiraz and a Thatcher's gold. We paid £44. The Shiraz was excellent in quality

The food hours are good, Monday to Friday 12 to 2:30 PM and 6 to 9 PM, the same on Saturday and then Sunday between 12 and 8 PM. I like it that there's lots of different types of seating you can choose hard or soft as you please.

We returned at a record early time 8:15 PM and spent the rest of the evening in front of the fire watching the Olympics.

A result.

• Visited February 2014
I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal with us on Valentines day as I was the one that cooked it !!!
There was confusion that night with the larger party as you mentioned , some were late but I think they all left in a suitably merry state.

I'm glad you noticed that we don't use Special nights like Valentines to rip off our customers by inflating prices or making up fancy dishes that customers cant even pronounce the name of let alone guess what it mite be. The Somerset Wagon has been popular for almost 30 years of which I have been part of for the past 18 years (the last 6 as landlord ) Since February this year I have employed a new Head Chef who has some fantastic recipes to add to our specials boards and I hope that you will join us again soon to try them .