“Paradise indeed but remember to bring bug spray!”
Review of Hacienda Tijax

Hacienda Tijax
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at Tijax for a couple of nights in April. It was indeed a paradise tucked away in a tropical jungle! The perfect place to get away from it all. In fact, you have to take a water taxi to get there! I loved the little huts, earthy tone decor in the room and the beautiful pool. However, I was devoured by mosquitos while having dinner by the water. The food was delicious. But the mosquitos must have thought my blood was delicious too! :=) I literally got a hundred bites in just an hour. It was totally my own fault. I was wearing shorts and forgot to bring bug spray. The restaurant was right on the water so there were armies of mosquitos. I enjoyed every minute of my stay but the bites are still itching 3 weeks after I came back home. I highly recommend this hotel but remember to bring bug spray! And it was also a little pricy. I found everything cost more than other places in Rio Dulce. If you want to save money, bring your own water, snacks, beers, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lobby/pool if you don't want to walk across the wooden bridge in the dar...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The two-hour jaunt through the jungle of Rio Dulce was a delight. Unfortunately, Guatemala has had no rain for a few months, so many of the plants were struggling, but the wonder of the jungle was still overwhelming. Lucy, my guide, was so friendly and light-hearted. I pointed out to her how she is contributing to the world by teaching a few at a time (in my case, one at a time) who then go out and teach others. The magnificent palms stretched from the canyon floor to above the canopy bridge and led me to expect some dinosaur to come tromping out (thanks JURASSIC PARK). We climbed to the top of what she called shaman tower to view the horizon and sunset. A mountain was in the way of the sun going down this time of year, but the glow around it was lovely. Yes, it was HOT; it's Guatemala and a jungle, so to be expected. And yes, I had on sun screen and bug spray. It was a great afternoon.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay here! It is a great place to hang out over the water . Just beautiful! There are many of adventurous activities you can do in the daytime as well. It is a very special place.
Hacienda Tijax is exceptionally well situated on the water, close to everything and yet far away from the noise
We have been travel for 2 weeks in GUATEMALA and we had a wonderful time here : the house, the place, the pool, the jungle, the staff , the cowboy: Raul and THE LUCY, the wonder woman !!!
Three helpful hints: bring bug spray, a flashlight and do whatever Lucy will recomend you to do !
Room Tip: the rooms with a private bath are "10".
Warmly recommended !
Peter & Rodica

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Hacienda Tijax is a working rubber plantation encompassing 500 acres. It is located right on the water. Accommodations are in small charming cabins with or without A/C. Some lack private bathrooms. The cabins are joined by elevated wooden walkways. The restaurant food was great, There is also a nice pool. Lucy, the guide, does a terrific jungle walk which included swimming in a natural pool, walking over several suspension bridges and climbing a tower for a fabulous view of the Rio Dulce area. She is very knowledgeable about Mayan folklore. Several other tours are available including jungle kayaking and horseback riding. If you want luxurious accommodation, this is not for you. However, if you carve a bit of adventure and something different, go for it!

Room Tip: A/C was essential due to the high humidity and was very quiet.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Hacienda Tijax is wonderful. We've stayed at the Tortugal many times in the past, and love it, so I wasn't sure what to expect at Tijax. But it surpassed my expectations. Great location on the Rio, maybe two minutes by lancha to the docks at Sundog or Rio Bravo. Tranquil waterfront bar/restaurant, with killer coffee starting at 6:00 a.m. Really good food if you don't feel like hitting town.

And they have Lucy! Lucy is a trip guide. She took us up to the tower and through the jungle one evening, and organized another trip to a waterfall the following day. she's friendly, funny, and super helpful. Look for her when you are there.

Almost forgot--the swimming pool is beautiful and a nice way to cool off in the evening. The fountains/waterfalls on the sides are a nice touch.

The only problem with Tijax is that it is so far away from where we live...I'm ready to go back now.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have a small bungalow, not big, but clean, an aico, no neighbours, so very quiet. We liked it very much. And a wonderfull walking trp with Lucy, their guide, to a vieuwpoint where you have an nice vieuw and a nice sunset vieuw. After the tour, we had a great pasta with garlic and a lot of srimps in it. Wonderfull. A place to go. Very friendly staff.
And a nice swimmingpool, clean and a relaxing place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I make this place my stop on my route to farther place away. I am always pleased with the accommodating nature of the staff. The food is good, and at a reasonable price. The waiter we had last night was one I had seen seven years before. He was very good, and made our stay special. The facility is a great place for couples and quite romantic.

Room Tip: They have three different types of bungalows that offer a different vibe. Some are on land in the t...