Tortugal River Lodge
Posada El Delfin(Livingston)
$74
  • Breakfast included
$127
Hotel Finca Tatin(Livingston)(Great Value!)
$8
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
$96
$81
  • Pool
Hotel Salvador Gaviota(Livingston)(Great Value!)
$11
  • Beachfront
Hotel Casa Rosada(Livingston)(Great Value!)
$17
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Dos Arboles(Livingston)(Great Value!)
$30
  • Beachfront
All reviewsfree kayaksla casitaceiling fanriver lodgepizzafloating docklocal townbeautiful hotelmosquito nethot wateroverlooking the watersafe havenboat ridehurricane seasonprivate bathenjoyed my staythe food is great
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We chose a bungalow for our stay because we prefer a private bath. The dwelling is spacious and clean and we have yet to see a scorpion here in the middle of the jungle on the side of the Rio Dulce. The staff is excellent and very helpful. The community of North American and European sailors that spend the winter here, on and off their boats, is interesting and included us in an adventure to the hot springs. I read the unfavorable reviews and they were from 2009 and 2010, indicating to me that the managerial problems have been resolved. We are spending 5 nights here and are very, very relaxed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is our second time at Tortugal but our first time staying in their rooms. Last May we spent a week here on our boat and enjoyed it so this year we booked rooms while getting our boat ready to launch over at Ram Marine. Our first room was in the Bungalows and very charming and comfortable with a mosquito net over our bed. The hotel is was designed by someone with an artistic bent and has lots of lovely local details. Most rooms have a bookcase with a selection of books and natural materials are often used. The staff are very nice and helpful. We hadn't booked enough days so had to move to one of their rooms next. It was smaller although with two small rooms and no mosquito net, although so far I've only seen one of these critters.
The food has been very good. Lovey fresh fruit and vegetables plus a good choice of proteins in various sauces. I loved the fish with coconut milk and twice baked potato. They all come with salad or steamed veggies. The chicken soup with noodles is terrific. Grilled chicken is a favorite too. Friday night is movies and pizza out on the deck.
They have a house for rent, some suites and dorm accommodations as well. This is a popular marina so you meet lots of boaters from the U.S., Canada and Europe.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I recently travel to Rio Dulce and stayed at Tortugal. The room was well priced and clean. When finding things to do, they staff helped us find what we needed. They recommended a wonderful restaurant for dinner. The food was pretty good. I highly recommend the breakfast burrito. The kitchen closes at 8pm, and the bar at 9pm, so not a late night party place. It was quite with great scenery and friendly guest. Overall, the staff was wonderful. There was one waitress that I hope was new. They only take visa but they allowed me to pay for my room via paypal, since I only had a MasterCard with me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I always base my reviews on the top 5 important things (in my opinion) and thats how I come up with the # of stars.

1. Rooms
2. Prices
3. Atmosphere
4. Location
5. Customer service
Extra

1. Rooms-My fiance and I stayed in the LOS CUARTOS DE ARRIBA. I didn't see the other rooms but I recommend these. We were just 2 people but there were 2 more single beds (obviously for a family) but didn't mind the extra space. the bathroom walls were made from bamboo and even though I don't like open bathrooms so everyone can hear you, this was actually super cute. bathroom was clean. There was also a mini balcony. I saw the location of the other buildings and besides the dorms, the cuartos were in the best locations. ( I highly suggest room 3. corner is better) Towels were provided. Our friends stayed in the open dorms and absolutely loved it.

2. Prices-the prices were a bit expensive. For Guatemala, $40 for these rooms were a bit much. Although compared to the other locations-it was worth the price.

3. Atmosphere-food was ok. It wasn't fantastic and their Nachos were just chips and cheese. which I hadn't spent the money. But they had a good salad. Bit pricey. They have a really cool upstairs with pool table, library, etc. great hang out spot!

4. Location-The spot was good. It was right next to the castle so kayaking there was perfect! Also the hotel is right on the water and has a great view.

5. Customer service-fantastic. I recommend booking a place in advance (even same day). For guests with reservations, they have a free pick up from the dock. There was a very helpful guy who spoke very good english that helped us. (although he was the only english speaker so brush up on some spanish in case he's not there) They also booked us pick up transport from the hotel to livingston. Although, we were put on the tourist boat who stopped along the way and conveniently next to little kids in boats trying to sell us things. but since i have no idea what the other options might have been, we didnt mind too much.

Extra-free kayak. BIG plus!

Room Tip: Cuarto 3-corner room w/balcony
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We really enjoyed our time here, I don't think you could be more "on the water" if you tried to. The waterside grounds are very charming and the fact that the hotel can only be accessed by boat is great. We opted for the what you could call their suites and we simply couldn't believe the elegance and comfort of the room. There are complimentary boat rides to town at various specific times and they can also arrange your boat ride up and down to Livingston. The restaurant is unfortunately where things aren't up to scratch. Everything you order comes out of a deep freezer, even the fish, especially absurd after you've visited the town's fish market literally a 5 minute boat ride away. Everything we ate, Mexican or "international" was disappointing.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple