“Amazing hostel.”
Review of Hotel Casa Perico

and 1 more site!
Hotel Casa Perico
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The layout of the hostel is amazing - cabins in a swamp connected by platforms. The evening buffet was very good. I found the service to be absolutely fine. Yes, it is isolated but this is part of the charm of the place and nobody is obliged to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank John H
There are newer reviews for Hotel Casa Perico

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I spend over ther for two night in the room no. 1 second flor, super ubication in the jugle, you get there by canoe! its about 10min from rio dulce! is included the boat ride in the price! you have to call them! one you arrive at rio dulce. I really recomed, the food is good, try the fish, the have coffe, internet.

Room Tip: most of thehotels and hostels in rio are in the jungle which a love them
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank MayaLandTravel
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Very basic accommodation run by very odd Swiss/Germans........ Waiting at the jetty for an hour in Rio Dulce we nearly walked away but unfortunately the guy turned up and took us on his kayak to the HOSTEL. I'm pleased to say I'm still alive to tell the tale but maybe there's others who aren't.............. I would suggest taking a packed lunch as the food is variable and reminiscent that the sloth eats in the film SEVEN with brad pitt. This is an amazing area with an even more amazing boat trip down the rio dulce to Livingston but I'm sure if I return I'll be able to find somewhere better....

Room Tip: The one in the hut
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

When they handed over the bill at the end of our stay and said 'service was not included', i wasn't sure whether they were talking about the bill or their company motto.

The overall ambiance was off and unfriendly, service was slow and it's kinda hard to tell who works there and who doesn't.

We saw a couple arrive late off the boat in the pouring rain and no one approached them, welcomed them or even said hello which was just totally odd as we watched the awkwardness unfold. The bar and restaurant area also felt awkward, a bit like a doctor's waiting room.

To be fair, it is a beautiful place in gorgeous surroundings and there is free kayak use with free pick up and drop off to Rio Dulce.

PROS
location is beautiful
Free kayak use
Free wifi

CONS
service
Expensive for food - as most areas off the 'mainland' are

Would we stay here again? No

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The hostel is beautiful, in a beautiful place with big rooms. It's on the lake (practically- it's actually on the water), pretty clean and looks good from the outside.
However, the owners are rude and the service is awful. To go to the village you must use their boat service (otherwise you're stuck in the hostel). It costs 25 Quetzales for both ways, but when I wanted to go back they told me to wait half an hour (the boat ride takes 5 minutes), which turned out to be an hour (!!!), just to get back. They picked me up when the owner needed to come back too- but if they picked me up anyways (and made me wait so that they don't have to make this short way twice)- why did they charge me? They did not apologize, but rather laughed when I was picked up with an angry expression.
When their laundry service lost my towel the Guatemalan staff really tried to find it (they did). The owners, however, didn't care and didn't apologize.
I do not recommend this place, just because of the owners' behaviour towards the guests.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sherlock-27
Reviewed July 26, 2013

On arrival both my friend and I liked the hotel. We had a private cabin and thought it was spacious (it was just the two of us in a four person cabin though). The cabin appeared clean, and the location was quiet and peaceful.

Although the cabin appeared clean, when entering the bathroom we found a pair of knickers in the shower. The beds have mosquito nets but be aware that there are many gaps in the walls, and a few holes in the nets, we got ready for bed by torch light to avoid attracting them in. We only got bitten once.

The thing that ruined our time here was our meal. We went to the bar/restaurant at 8pm, It was very quiet, there were four people at the bar and a couple on the sofa. The menu is very simple and we struggled to pick something (they only put on a buffet if enough people sign up for it).

In the end we chose garlic bread, vegetable soup and spaghetti bolognese, the group at the bar already had their food and the couple ordered after us. Half an hour later the couple received their food but we still had not received ours. 50 minutes after we placed our order (and the couple had eaten and left) we went to the German man at the bar and asked if our food was coming. He went off to go find out and when he came back he offered no explanation as to why we were waiting so long; an apology, or the offer of a drink. An hour and 15 minutes after placing our order we received our food, and once again nothing was said. The food was very basic, it should never have taken so long especially as it was so quiet. It was frustrating not being able to just get up and go to another restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We planned to stay at Casa Perico for 3 days and ended up there with rememberable 5 days. It felt like home. We could come and go as we pleased, had wonderful buffets and breakfast and met nice people there. You could take canoes for free to go to the lake or explore the area.
The rooms are basic with mosquito nets for every bed and the shared bathroom was clean. But take into account, that these are bungalows, so you will hear your neighbour and the wildlife around!
Thanks for the pleasant stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple