“Fantasy Jungle”

Hotel Casa Perico
San Francisco, California
“Fantasy Jungle”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I was blown away when we arrived late at night after a harrowing day of travel. It was raining and we were picked up at the pizza place in town, and suddenly we were out on the river, flying along in the dark, only slowing slightly to duck under branches, then arrived at the hotel. Amazing jungle noise, I felt like I was in a Disneyland set but it was real. Great little cabins, mosquito nets, comfy..only one big spider visited us. All the cabins are connected by wooden walkways over the swamp. But no bug problem. It was very cool. Owner and his friend were fun and helpful. Fun bar to hang out in, hammocks, peaceful tables to hang out with friends. Dorm would be noisier, it's above bar. It is the room with the open window, I think. Good food.

Room Tip: Cabins are good, we couldn't get a private bathroom but shared one was fine
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank MargaretNicole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I have been to Casa Perico many times and they never fail to please! It is like a backpackers paradise. They have dorms, privates, privates with bathrooms and all out of the hustle and bustle of Rio Dulce. They will send a boat to pick you up and from then on your holiday begins! Bruno, Jonathan and Andre are three guys from Switzerland who know exactly what they are doing! The ambience, the food and spot where they are is AMAZING! Now make sure you are prepared for this, it is in the JUNGLE...but that is the speciality of the place, there is simply no other place like this in Rio Dulce, or anywhere that I know of in Guatemala! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! I love this spot!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank becn
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed October 21, 2011

First off, just be aware that this place isn't in the middle of town like it appears it is in most guide books. It is actually out in the mangroves and you need a boat ride to get there, so you will be at the mercy of the owners once you are there. These guys are WEIRDOS. They are Swiss German and for whatever reason don't seem to like younger people very much. When we arrived, they tried to put us in a room where the beds were covered in dirt and bugs. They wanted us to stay in that room after cleaning it, telling us that it happened because it was windy the night before. So I guess they just assumed it wouldn't be windy again?

All this was eventually sorted and most of the experience was pleasant after that, until it was time to go. They were very rude as far as when we could take a boat back to the city to catch a bus out. They insisted that we manipulate our travel plans in order to go on a boat with some other people that were either leaving earlier or later than we wanted to leave. They were of course both older groups of people whom the owners obviously cater to over younger travelers. When we did finally get on the boat, I realized I had forgotten my phone at the hostel. I asked if they could take me back and the first thing they said was how much it would cost. They didn't seem to be concerned about much else and told me to wait right there on the dock and they would return in 30 minutes because they had some shopping to do. Instead of shopping, I saw them go a couple docks down where they went to a bar and just sat there drinking beer, while I was sitting there waiting to go back to get my phone in order to catch a bus. They even had the nerve to look over at me while they were sitting there. After 45 minutes of this, I sought out my own boat and eventually found someone to take me back over there to get my phone. The owners finally came back to the dock almost 2 hours later after I had just gotten back with my phone and asked if I wanted a ride. I couldn't believe it! It was as though they had a laugh out of my inconvenience. I strongly suggest finding somewhere else to stay, as these owners are not good people.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank MochileroMose

Travelers are raving about these Rio Dulce hotels

Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We spent 6 wonderful and relaxing days at the Casa Perico. The Hotel is located at a sidearm of the river Rio Dulce in the middle of the jungle. Here you can relax from the hard hours travelling trough Guatemala and find some peace. The boat ride from the town Rio Dulce takes about 5 minutes. The three owners and the staff are really friendly and can help you arrange day trips in the area. The cooking is great and especially the weekly dinner with a buffet is just a dream! They offer lodging in different price levels from a bed in a dormitory for some US-dollars until a your own cabin with private bathroom for about 25 US-dollars. We can highly recommend this hotel to all travellers.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank puravidasuiza
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Nice play, affordable, away from the tourist yachts and stuff. The food is good, the drinks are ok too. Nice hang out, nice bathroom facilities. If you are staying in Rio Dulce just for a night or two, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RoundTheBendProject
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Well all is in the title, we stayed one night at Casa Perico. First of all you should know that the room at Q110 that you book from the mainland only have 3 walls. So in the middle of the jungle, with the cold air at night, bats pissing on you (Yes a few does reside above your head)... That's what we call eco-hostel theses days !
Anyhoo we had dinner there and woke up at 5 am very very sick.. ended up 6 hours after at the hospital for a bacterial infection.

Maybe I have just been unlucky, maybe it's their fault.. I don't recommend to not go, but simply what you sign up for before you get there ! (The shuttle boat is free but if you don't like it, you will have to pay Q25 per person to come back on the mainland.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gotchaxel
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Casa perico is beatifully located on an inlet close to rio dulce.
They let guests use the canoes for free which make for a nice leisurly afternoon.
The cabins are simple and the bathrooms are very cleanWe would of stayed longer if the food was better. Plain pastas and simple burgers on the menu here. there are hardly any vegetarian options.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple