“Convenient location”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ferno
Cape Coral, Florida
“Convenient location”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Our flight to Miami out of Malpensa was cancelled (Air Portugal-horrendous airline which we will never fly again) and we were rebooked for the following day, which we didn't find out until we were already dropped off at MXP. For the convenience we decided to stay at the Sheraton overnight, which cost us $310 US (arghh!). For this price there is no free internet in the rooms (unbelievable, when you get free internet in every budget hotel out there; wake up Starwood, you're ripping off your guests!) You do get 45 free internet minutes using their computers (slower than a snail) and you can print out your boarding passes, which we took advantage of. Breakfast was included with this price, which they told us was normally $19 EU per person. It was nothing special, but we did take advantage of the omelet man. Room was very nice and spacious with a view of the parking lot, although we never once heard a plane flying overhead. A/C was quirky and we had to play around until we got it to kick in. Robe and slippers were missing, as well as some liquor and snacks, which we reported to the front desk, so we wouldn't be charged for them. They also have an in room coffee pot, but no cream or sugar. We phoned the front desk and after a half hour someone brought 4 packets of sugar and 2 little creamers for both of us. TV was awful...I was looking foward to seeing TV in English, after a week of only Italian. Other than BBC and CNN there was nothing, unless you paid extra for other channels. King bed was great for my lousy back. Shower was a contemporary design with no tub...just a platform, and the water goes all over the place. There is actually a shower rod going across, but no shower curtain. We placed towels all over the bathroom floor to soak up the mess. Really bad design; who thought this up?

Room Tip: Book over the internet for half the price!
1 Thank nansi1210
SWMilan, General Manager at Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Nansigali,
with reference to the comments posted on TripAdvisor on September 20th 2011, we thank you for having invested some of your time to share your experience in our Hotel.
We do apologize for some discomfort experienced while staying at the Hotel, and we assure you that we will pay deep attention to your notes, with the involved departments, and we will work on them to improve our services.
We sincerely hope to have you back at the Sheraton Milan Malpensa Hotel & Conference Centre in the future, giving us the possibility to deliver the service you expect from us.
Kind regard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel for the 4th time because it is a no brainer if you have a flight that leaves at or before 10 a.m. local time.

The hotel is brand new and very spacious. I like open spaces and don't mind walking so the size doesn't present an issue for me but could if someone is physically challenged. I always get an upgrade to a Club Level room based upon my Starwood membership and can attest that the spacious feel of the hotel is extended to the Club Level rooms. They are huge.

Some constructive criticism is warranted however. Like many other guests have commented, the check in and check out border from cumbersome to very time consuming. Italy has not, apparently, embraced the "Express Check-out" concept. This would GREATLY assist the vast majority of guests at this property. At check-in I was also asked for a credit card to cover incidentals notwithstanding the fact that my reservation was booked using points and my Starwood American Express card is linked to my profile. The young man who checked me in had to swipe the card 3 times and then asked for a colleague to assist him in order to finally process the 30€ charge. This should not be the case at a brand new hotel.

Upon arriving outside my room, I was also greeted by a coffee mug outside my door that was either ignored by the maintenance staff or left there by a poorly educated guest. Upon entering the room, I noticed that the typical amenities (disposable slippers and tissues) were missing but this was quickly remedied by the night staff who sent someone to my room within minutes.

I have a feeling (at least I HOPE) that the staff will grow into the place as the EXPO 2015 approaches.

2 Thank SCDOCG
Dear SCDOCG,
with reference to the comments posted on TripAdvisor on September 19th, 2011, let us thank you for having spent some of your time to summarize your experience in our Hotel.
But what we mostly appreciate from your post is the list of suggestions to which we will pay deep attention and the opportunity to underline that our IT department is already working into the improvement of our Check-out procedures. Very soon we hope to join the “Express Check-out” concept, and this not only in view of the next EXPO 2105, but also for the particular market of our Hotel.
In fact we can count between our guests also travellers catching early morning flights, and sometimes even reinforcing our staff we run after time to elaborate a Check-out quickly.
Looking forward to have you back at the Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport Hotel and Conference Centre, we remain,
Rochelle Park, New Jersey
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Good hotel if you are flying out of the airport. Everything is big and it takes long time to get to. It is quiet and you will not hear planes taking off.

Dear Marekiza,
we thank you very much for having stayed at the Sheraton Milano Malpensa Airport Hotel and Conference Centre, and for having spent some of your time to send your positive comments in TripAdvisor on September 19th 2011.
Comments from our customers are always welcome and precious since they give us the opportunity to improve continuously and to satisfy our Guest’s expectation.
Looking forward to have you and your family back to the Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport Hotel and Conference Centre, we remain,
Dubai
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Location in the terminal is superb, we were connecting to Barcelona from Dubai and it was so easy. I don't think there is much other trade there than 'flyers' but the hotel is immaculate, as if it were a normal 'tourist' hotel. Check in- they need to learn to smile! Room Service=very used to English speakers, fast, but food was just OK. Fantastic room, comfortable, good bed, but as usual in European hotels no English TV channels apart from CNN and BBC World unless you paid extra. Check out was very busy but they were efficient and no dramas. It is a huge hotel, no sound of aircraft, well presented and would definately stay there again if connecting in Milan. Oh and the rooms have windows that open, good for those in the dreaded, leper, 'Smoking Rooms' of which I am one! Would not recommend it for anyone actually staying for a few days in Milan though as it's on the Airport!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Thistle99,
with reference to the comments posted on TripAdvisor on September 18th, 2011, let us thank you for having invested some of your time to share your experience in our Hotel.
Comments from our customers are always welcome, we confirm you that will take advantage from your notes to improve our services.
Toronto
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Not much hotel signage if you are coming from the train - the hotel is right at the exit from the train - don't go into the terminal. Need more staff at reception, especially early in the morning when everyone is checking out to meet a plane. You need to have/buy a bathing cap, men too, to swim in the pool. Our internet fee of 3 Euros for an hour was refunded because the ceiling leaked in our room. Maintenance came and emptied something from the A/C, so obviously this happens on a regular basis. Internet was okay but we couldn' "send" e-mail messages. Dinner was good but it was funny watching the poor waiters trying to find the right table for their meals - the restaurant was hosting a wine and cheese and had mixed up the tables and their numbers to make room. The bed was comfortable; the shower good and hot; the room quiet; the location excellent. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 3033 was as far as you can get from the elevators. Ask for numbers 1 to 12 for close to elevat...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear T42,
with reference to the comments posted on TripAdvisor on September 18th, 2011, let us thank you for having invested some of your time to share so precisely your experience in our Hotel.
We can assure you that we will pay high attention to your comments and suggestion for the opportunity we have to improve our services, even more appreciated when they come from a qualified traveller like you are.
New Jersey
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I chose this hotel because it's attached to Milan Malpensa's Terminal 1 and therefore very convenient. However, that's about the only "plus" about this hotel.

Upon arrival, I waited in line for nearly 15 minutes to check in. There was a long line of people and only one person operating the front desk. When I finally got my room (which was about a quarter of a mile walk (no exaggeration) at the very opposite end of the hotel) I immediately noticed the moldy, rotting ceiling at the entrance. It was clear there was a leak, which had also caused the carpet by the door to be stained. As well, there was no TV in the room, just a hole in the wall where there should've been a TV. So, I called the front desk and they said it was no problem to switch me into a different room and that they'd send someone up.

Someone came up to give me another key to another room. This room was fine - no mold, no carpet stains, and it had a TV. Great. After a long day of traveling, all I wanted to do was order room service and go to sleep. So, I tried calling the room service line. It was busy. After multiple attempts, all unsuccessful, I called "Guest Services" and told the lady I'd like to order room service but cannot get through on the line because it has been busy for over an hour. She was very unwilling to help and told me "I'm sorry, but you just have to keep calling until the line isn't busy anymore." I said fine, and continued to call...for another 3 hours, until midnight. The line was STILL busy. So that evening, I didn't eat dinner. And the restaurant had already closed.

Upon check-out around 8am in the morning, again, I arrived at the front desk to find a line of roughly 10 people deep. The process was again slow - it's a good thing I wasn't rushing to catch a flight. You would think that an airport hotel would make the check-out (at least) during prime hours, a speedy one because people need to catch flights.

All in all, I can honestly say that I will not stay at this hotel again, and will look for other options near the airport within a short cab ride. I'm very disappointed in the Sheraton brand for not holding this hotel to higher standards.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear map1112,
with reference to the comments posted on TripAdvisor on September 17th 2011, we thank you for having invested some of your time to share your experience in our Hotel.
Netherlands
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night early April after flying into Malpensa Airport. Seeing that my flight was delayed by over an hour, it was nice to be able to walk from the plane to the hotel (even though the hotel wasn't all that easy to find).

Check-in was slow and the receptionist predominantly staring at his keyboard and screen, barely acknowledging my existance. A security deposit of 30% of the room rate is required at check-in (on top of the room rate); however, the receptionist did not inform me of this, he merely charged me 130% of my room rate. Only after pointing out that this amount was excessive did he inform me of the security deposit.

The rooms are spacious and the junior suite sported a kitchenette (which was either too small or too full), seating area, two large beds, two large flat screens and a luxurious bathroom. The main drawback is that the hotel appears to have been finished in a hurry, leading to electrical plugs not being thoroughly connected to the wall (and thus popping out), some scratch marks on the walls etcetera. Plus, the bathroom design makes it impossible to take a shower without flooding the entire bathroom. Not an issue for a one night stay, but it would become highly frustrated after a few nights.

Largest problem with the hotel is it's design. Not only is it vast (it can be quite a walk from one end to the other), it has floor to ceiling walls which are admittedly beautiful, but not quite practical in Italy. At 10pm in early April my room had a temperature of 27 degrees Celsius, with the AC unit only being able to cool down the room by about 3 degrees Celsius. When contacting front desk about this issue, the receptionist showed me three alternative rooms and was most apologetic; quite the contrast to the disappointing check-in procedure. I was then moved to a room with a temperature of 24 degrees Celsius; the coolest room still available that night. I can imagine this being quite the problem in summer.

The spa looked absolutely excellent, with several types of showers, a steam room and a sauna available. The swimming pool was small but adequate.

Check-out was even more disappointing than check-in; there were three receptionists and four parties wanting to either check-in or check-out, and I actually walked out of the hotel after waiting for well over ten minutes for someone to check me out.

Summarized: Not a hotel I would recommend for a weekend / extended stay, but very worth your while when arriving at Malpensa Airport in the evening. Good value for money, modern and good amenities.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank frankc6
Dear Frankc6,
with reference to the comments posted on TripAdvisor on September 16th 2011, let us thank you for having invested some of your time to share your experience in our Hotel with other travellers.
We do apologize for some discomfort experienced while staying at the Hotel, but we assure you that we will pay deep attention to your notes, and we will work on them to improve our services.
Kind regard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferno
MOXY Milan Malpensa Airport
Idea Hotel Plus Milano Malpensa Airport
Hotel Villa Malpensa
Hotel Villa Malpensa
#1 of 1 in Vizzola Ticino

Been to Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!