“Spoilt my birthday.”

Groombridge Place Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: Groombridge Place has lovely walled gardens overlooking a 17th century moated manor house. The Enchanted Forest has something for all ages from Crusoe's World with its tree houses and rope bridge. The boardwalk also in the forest is a popular play area with its zip wire and rope swings. The giant tree swings are popular with young and old alike. Two birds of prey displays daily Tue to Sun and Bank Holiday Monday. Don't miss our famous Zedonk (half Zebra and half Donkey).
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I used to come here all the time, the last time I went was about 4 years ago and it was fantastic! I used to spend the whole day here! Yesterday I decided to take my 7 month old as he enjoys being outside and the forest used to have lots to see and hear. The 'enchanted' forest is now in a complete state! They must've just left it to rot! There's no water anywhere so rivers, waterfalls & 'mystic pools' are just muddy empty pits full of rotten wood and mould! If there is any water it stinks! They charged us 28 for 3 adults + we thought the boat would be nice which was an extra £5, couldn't see anything as the bushes are overgrown! We asked before paying how much of the forest was pushchair friendly, we was told 99% of it was, when we got off the boat we could push the pushchair probably 5 mins before my son started crying because of how bumpy and uneven the ground was. Any attractions are rotten & falling apart so there's nothing to see, I was very dissapointed as we drove for an hour to get there and by the time we got home my birthday was pretty much over and there wasn't time for a proper day out! We complained and got our money back the manager didnt even have the decency to come listen to our problems and his behind a girl serving everyone. Don't go there if you want a good day out! I'd rather of walked around tesco for half hour! Disgusting how they can charge so much for nothing!

15  Thank Laurenzed
There are newer reviews for Groombridge Place Gardens

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Took the kids here on the Bank Holiday Monday and we had a fantastic time. Loads of activities for the kids ranging from a woodland walk to zorbing and party games. The staff were fun, enthusiastic and very patient with the kids. We took a picnic and had ice creams on site. I thought it was a bonus that all the activities within the park (face painting, arts & craft, a few rides, etc) were included in the cost of admission. We'll definitely be going back again.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been driving past Groombridge Place for the past 20 years when going to/fro from work and on a week off, my wife and I decided to visit to see what it was like.

The display board at the entrance says about formal house and gardens and other attractions, and knowing a bit of the house's history was perhaps naivety on our part I was expecting more of a National Trust kind of visit through the house and gardens.

The set-up inside, after the £9.95 for an adult's admission price, is bluntly aimed at families and children.

There are a couple of formal gardens to look around but, are badly kept and not displaying a great variety of plants, and with tenuous references to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel "Valley of Fear".

The house itself, well you can look but not touch figuratively speaking as it is roped off from getting anywhere near it.

Otherwise the other attractions are soley intended towards children and wearing them out. Long walk through the woods to see various tired and random attractions

There are animal attractions to see. A Raptor centre with a show twice a day, a large field filled with a mixture of Cameroon sheep, reindeer and goats and another pen holding pigs, ducks and turkeys to view. Interesting one was seeing a Zeedonk (part Zebra and part donkey) but the animal looked bored and fed up with no stimulation to keep going!

In summary, probably a great place if you want to wear your children out for the day but if you are a couple expecting to look around an old country house, personally I would carry on to Penshurst Place.

2  Thank Paul_Thomas_UK
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great place for kids to go exploring as a wooded park. But if your going for the gardens they need a lot of work done to repair and clean it up. The house is not open now so this place is not for the grown ups anymore.

2  Thank Lee G
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was nice with the kiddoes. It's by no means, disneyland, or a super spit and polished play area, but it was a lot of fun. The mansion itself is basically run down and the grounds are not great, the puppet show was a bit off to be sure... However all that said, the running around the enchanted forest was a blast and our kids came back loving the place. So there ya go. Go back again, possibly, recommend it for a 1 time try, absolutely. Pack yer own lunch though. :)

1  Thank ctmanic