“Faultless food in a really lovely old pub, this one to watch!”
Review of The Poet

The Poet
Reserve with OpenTable
The Poet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Matfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We believe that your dining experience with us starts the moment you walk through our door. A friendly greeting from our front of house team, lead by co-owner Andy Urbanek and Manager Katy Cruickshank. The Poet offers a vast selection of craft gins, handpicked wines and quirky cocktails. Chef Patron Petrus Madutlela and his team, endevours to tempt our customers with an imaginative array of contemporary British food cooked to order, sourced from the freshest, local produce. Our celebrity chef competed on Masterchef: The Professionals and was Judge of South African TV show "The Ultimate Braai Master."
Kent
“Faultless food in a really lovely old pub, this one to watch!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We heard great things about this place, and it delivered in every aspect. The staff are incredibly friendly without being bothersome. The dining area is charming and elegant without being too stuffy. The food was absolutely delicious and faultless. These guys really know what they are doing. I was pleased to see on the menu where they sourced their produce from, in particular the butchers who supply them, Fullers in Hawkenbury, where I too go out of my way to buy their meat, it is the best around.

There is something on the menu for all tastes, the food is a cross between English at its very best and French. We are going back in a week or so with friends, and my husband's eyes lit up when I told him.

Bexhill-on-Sea
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We visited for the first time on a Sunday lunch and can't rate the experience high enough. We were made to feel extremely welcome from the minute we arrived by James, one of the two brothers that runs The Poet. We later found out that James runs front of house & his brother Charlie creates magic in the kitchen. Service was swift & efficient but without that 'rushed' feeling you get in some establishments.

We both started with Crisp Egg - HIGHLY recommended! For main we were given a choice of 3 roasts in addition to the usual menu. My wife had the fish of the day (Salmon), which she adored, & I plumped for the roast beef - I had enquired if it came medium rare (just as I like it) and was promised it would. 10/10 on that one, it was cooked to perfection. Portion sizes are also spot on, not too much but you're certainly not left felt wanting. I'm not a huge dessert fan so chose the cheese board to finish the meal off - an excellent choice of 4 or 5 cheeses and qood quality biscuits.

There is an excellent wine list to choose from - we had a very tasty and keenly priced Malbec. One thing that I also liked is that the menu recommends what wine goes best with each dish and as there is an extremely good selection of wines that can be ordered by the glass you can experiment at will!

The new owners have obviously put much thought into the decor, making for a very comfortable place to spend a few hours. Ambience is just right - we're not fans of premises with little atmosphere just as much as we aren't of places with too much! We were with two friends and could chat comfortably, making for a very relaxing meal.

The only problem with The Poet is that is too far away from home to be able to visit more often. We'll be back though - soon, very soon.

Kent
“Good quality food at a price”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We have had a couple of meals at this pub since it has been taken over by new owners. We had an excellent Sunday roast - probably one of the best one of its kind we have tried locally. However the prices are higher to reflect the quality so it is better for special occasions. We were disappointed with a Saturday lunch which seemed to be roughly the same formal menu as for Sunday lunch with a few bar specials. This seems to be better suited for a formal meal for a special occasion when you don't mind paying a bit extra.

Paddock Wood, United Kingdom
“Perfect night out”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I visited The Poet on Saturday night after recently moving to the area. From the moment we walked in we felt very welcome, largely due to the pleasant staff and the amazing atmosphere. There are 3 separate parts to the restaurant, as well as a bar area, all of which are set in a beautiful period building with exposed wooden beams and two big fireplaces. We took advantage of the Chesterfield sofas next to one of the fireplaces and had a couple of pre-dinner drinks whilst soaking in the atmosphere. The waiter took our order before being seated at our table and gave us the option of staying on the sofas until our starters we ready, which was a nice touch. As far as the food was concerned, my starter (the crispy poached egg) was excellent and really tasty, and my wife's choice of main course (the beef fillet) was lovely and also a very generous sized piece of meat. We finished the evening with a final drink by the fire, which rounded everything off perfectly. All in all, everything was great. It's certainly not the cheapest restaurant around, but well worth it for the quality of food and the ambience, I'm sure we will be going back at some point.

St Margaret's Bay, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread - and Thou”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were recommended this place by a local and actually attracted by its unusual name. It is a beautifully restored, warm and cosy pub with a great atmosphere and pleasant staff. The service was excellent and the food imaginative, delicious, cooked au point and exquisitely presented. I could not recommend it more highly; it leaves most other gastropubs standing.