“Clean and Modernish”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Terrey Hills
Sydney, Australia
“Clean and Modernish”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had a 2 day business meeting on the northern beaches, so rather than do the long drive two days in a row, I decided to set up camp closer to the meeting. Checkers suited in proximity and price. It is only 10 minutes to Newport.

I booked online (via Tripadvisor thank you) and the process was very easy, however when the confirmation arrived it stated checkin could not happen after 9:00pm. I called up to explain that I may not get there before 9 and what could be done? No problem, call in on the way though in the morning from 6:30am and check-in, get the key and come back when you like. Problem solved.
I was met at 6:30am, process was easy and I was free to focus on what I needed to do. The service was brilliant and professional.
Getting back to my room at 10pm, and leaving again at 6:30am I can't tell you about the food or facilities.
The room (11) was very good looking and may have even recently had a refurbishment it looked so modern. The TV was small by current standards but had a clear picture and was fine for the 15 minutes I watched while getting ready for bed.

The curtains did not fully cover the window without jaming them in the door handle.

The bed was a bit of a slab in my opinion, sadly resulting in a shocking nights sleep. It is subjective, but the mattress for me was really hard and uncomfortable. Also you may need to use the spare blanket in the wardrobe, the bedding on the bed was a bit light for the time of year. There was a radio with an iPod dock, but it was not compatible with the iPhone 4s. So take your charger.
The shower was great, a nice roof mounted deluge head was a joy to bathe under. All the usual toiletry amenaties where available to pinch if that is your thing and they had a washer (I hate it when hotels don't supply washers). The floor drain could not keep up with the shower head so I ended up with a lake in the bathroom as the fall to the drains was not enough to take my flood away. Lucky I was alone so I could use the second towel to soak up the lake :-)

Internet in the room at a cost. I did not use it.

A really nice room and I would be happy to go back there. I think the resort had lots of amenities I did not get to enjoy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ken B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Devonport, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Recently, over the Christmas period for three nights (December 2012) with the kids was good we were in a ground floor room (Complete), good beds, clean room, clean bathroom, the cost could be less for what is provided in the area/location. The breakfast was good and average value, the pool was good for the kids, good tennis courts. A visit in April 2013 for one night, we had a different room (ground floor again), the room looked like it was in the middle of a reno because the fridge was in the open in the room with the kettle/things on top, no cabinets and the wardrobe did not look right outside the bathroom door . The bathroom flooded when the shower was going. “I think your contractor ripped you off Checkers”. The tiling & shower work is crap, slippery and dangerous. Your sink cabinet next to the shower is rotting because of the shower. Now we have experienced the ground floor rooms, next time we visit I’m getting a second floor room like my 2011 trip. Checkers is in a good location to the northern suburbs and the northern beaches. Will be back again (in a second floor room). If you want a good room, and you are in the area, book in advance. Great friendly customer service.

Room Tip: Book a second floor room. I have not seen all the rooms and only had a bad experience in one ground...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed here for one night only, but would've happily stayed for longer if time permitted! The complex is a motel/resort/conference centre type place so there are different levels of rooms. Our upstairs deluxe room had tasteful decor like something from a Vogue magazine - very swish and a nice change from all the dated exposed brick motel rooms we've stayed in recently! Comfortable queen bed, a couch, table and chairs, and in the bathroom an awesome square shower head that was like standing under a waterfall!

Not something we usually do, we ordered room service for dinner, and was surprised with the quality of the food - the lamb was sensational, perfectly cooked and nice and hot. The Asian Tasting Plate was your typical deep fried wontons, spring rolls, crumbed prawns etc, but was still nice. So many times you order room service and it's cold, or sub-standard, but this was very good.

Just a short walk away is a fruit and vegie barn that sells lots of yummy gourmet food, so we stocked up on supplies for breakfast for the next day.

Situated on a main road, we didn't notice any traffic noise at night, nor were we disturbed by other occupants in rooms beside us, or the people attending a conference that evening. We did not stay long enough to enjoy the rest of the facilities - gym, pool, tennis courts.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank XAGTKate
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights and found the room and bed to be more than adequate and comfortable. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was OK but steer clear of eating there for dinner because the food is sub-cafeteria quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blu_Rock
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Friendly staff, great room and good food all at reasonable prices.I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Had a small problem with the tv that was fixed instantly . Room service food was hot and tasty and quick.

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week as we needed to visit a few people around Sydney and the hotel fitted our budget.

It is more motel than hotel in layout, but the facilities are excellent.

The good first:

The rooms are very clean and well equipped (especially for the price of a Sydney hotel). We had a large desk / working area, lounge area, flat screen tv, decent bed and nice shower room.

The room service staff were unbelievably friendly, and efficient yet unobtrusive.

The reception and kitchen staff were also top notch and super helpful.

The leisure facilities (which we made good use of) were also fantastic; two tennis courts (for which balls and racquets are provided foc), a nice swimming pool and sauna area and a very well equipped gym - there's no excuse not to keep up your training if you're staying!

And the bad:

The location is not ideal. I had friend to visit in Manly (which isn't too far by road) and in the city. Basically you need a car or a lot of time and patience to use the public transport system.

The breakfast service finishes at 9 on weekdays and 9:30 on Sundays. This wouldn't be too bad if there were other places to eat nearby if you're having a slow morning, but there aren't. This did present a small issue, although again the staff were very accommodating when we arrived at 9:15 one morning. The breakfast itself is very well prepared and reasonably priced for a Sydney hotel.

There isn't too much to do within waking distance. Pub wise there is the Terry Hills, which is not too bad. There are a couple of restaurants on garden centres (that sadly don't do breakfast during the week). Next door there is a wonderful farm shop offering crazily cheap fruit veg and supplies.

All in all I would recommend the hotel, if you have a car and are not to bothered by entertainment in the immediate area.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank TheOriginalH
LANCASHIRE, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just had 4 nights at Checkers, on arrival we were disappointed at the location, but if you either have a car, or good weather the place is good.
Would have been perfect for a chill out and relax if only the weather had been kinder. Try terry Hills Tavern for good food and atmosphere .
Hotel need better lighting in bedrooms

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Terrey Hills
Miramare Gardens Boutique Accommodation
NRMA Sydney Lakeside Holiday Park
Quality Hotel Sands Narrabeen
Travelodge Hotel Manly Warringah Sydney
Killara Inn Hotel & Conference Centre
Metro Mirage Hotel Newport

Been to Checkers Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!