“You get what you pay for”

Ibis Styles Canberra Eaglehawk
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way to the snow.
After reading some of the previous reviews we were not expecting much.
Upon arrival though we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was large and clean. The bed was comfy -and unlike some previous reviews -clean.
Check in was smooth, we found all of the staff polite and helpful.
Yes ok if you want to get picky, there was a bit of grout missing in the bathroom, and a draft under the door - easily fixed by sticking one of the spare pillows or a towel in front of the gap.
Otherwise, I'm not really sure what the issues would be, at the end of the day this a Highway Hotel, and its an Ibis(not a Hilton).
We had no noise issues, but as any seasoned traveller knows, you always carry earplugs and eye masks with you when you travel and you can sleep anywhere.
I will stay here again on my next ski trip.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda M
Jason B, General Manager at Ibis Styles Canberra Eaglehawk, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Hi Linda,

I am glad you were pleasantly surprised. Always great to hear when our guests get more than they were expecting.

Hope the snow was great! See you next time.

Thanks

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Walked in room and carpet was ripped up with spots that didn't have carpet at all food was under the bed and on beds when we came in stains were on the carpet hair was clogged in bath and sink toilet seat was broken tv was broken heater was noisy area not near anything itchy beds no cleaning while you are staying there is heaps of schools that stay there and there is hair in the food and not much selections and (watch for kids as there is a lot of kangaroos around) defienatly don't recommend at all for all reasons really disappointed as my skin is real itchy and have red dots and bites all over me

• Stayed: August 2013

Hi,

Thank you for bringing your experience to my attention. If you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Upon arrival, I went into reception, my first impression was that the place was very stylish. When I walked up to the desk I was in the middle of being served when the phone rang, and without even an 'excuse me a moment' the receptionist answered the phone and began arguing about a booking someone thought they had made. She said 'well you never said anything about bringing a kid'. She eventually made my booking without much information about the resort, it seemed I was an inconvenience.

Arriving at the room, I found it dated with a small bubble shaped TV. The bathroom was dirty with mould in the grout. There was plaster coming off the walls in the room and the AC rattled and clanged all night. The pillows were flat and worn out. The carpet was stained.

We arrived late and were looking to grab something from the room service menu.Well after looking at it and realising I would have to pay $22 just for a burger or $14 for a HCT toasted sandwich I figured I would eat elsewhere. I understand room service is always more expensive, but to me that just seemed like they were gouging a captive audience. I tried to connect to wifi to look for food outlets and rang reception to get the password. I was told wifi would be $11 per hour! Seriously? per hour? The guy I talked to on the phone seemed embarrassed when he told me that and apologised. I decided to just use my iphone, but then I only had 1 bar of service on a telstra connection. Nothing would load. We ended up going to the Eagle hawk Hotel not far down the road and had a great meal there for less than the cost of the resort hamburger.

If the rattling AC hadn't kept me awake the people in the next room talking and arguing probably would have.

This place is a total trap, I would never go back, nor recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Travelingdanbury

Hi,

Thank you for your review, it is always very upsetting to hear about a negative experience in my hotel. I have made sure my team is aware of your experience and can assure you that we have addressed your concerns.

I hope that you do decide to come visit us again so we can leave you with positive memories instead of negative ones.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our stay was a one nighter on the way to the snow. We had booked it months earlier. We had also prebooked a two night stay here on the way home from the snow to recover.
We had never stayed at Eagle Hawk before, but I am a Platinum Rydges Priority Guest Rewards member. I have spent about 50 nights this year already at Rydges hotels.
Within one hour of arriving, I had cancelled our two night stay on the return from the snow. I booked Rydges Capital Hill which turned out to be lovely.
At Eagle Hawk the rooms were very old and not well maintained. The cleanliness of the room was poor. The air conditioners were noisy and not operating well. We couldn't actually get the room warm!
The choice of dinner at the buffet was appalling. There were only about 5 different things to eat including the vegetables and salad. The only good thing was that the food actually tasted okay.
So overall it was a very underwhelming experience. I will definitely not be staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ian M

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the review. I am truly sorry that we did not give you a great experience. We have been working hard over the past few months to improve on what was on offer and I am happy to say that we are now on the right track.

I hope you try us again in the future. It would be great to show you the improvements we have made.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Checked in 9pm no one on reception had to go through door again to try to get attention. Hard to find room as signage is poor. Heater was not working properly so we were cold all night. No kettle in room had to get one delivered from reception. No normal coffee all decaf. Went to get into bed and dont think sheets had been changed as there was hair all through the bed YUCK!! Bathroom old and dirty. We have stayed here a few times in the past 10 yrs but this time was very ordinary . Much better options in Canberra

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Bluelizzy0105

Hi BlueLizzy,

Thanks for the review and I am sorry te hear that your visit wasn't up to the standards we all expect. I hope you will give us another chance to show you what we have to offer next time you are around Canberra.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

No wonder the Australian tourist industry is struggling, at check in - quoted $11 for WiFi for 1 hour or $26.00 for 24 hours. Have traveled Asia, South America, Europe -> invariably - WiFi in smallest B&Bs to **** hotels is - free !

Booked double room on internet - credit card details used to reserve room. Upon arrival, check-in guy at reception with obvious N.E.S background - who spoke quickly in a very heavy accent - indicated even though booked on internet @ $115 p n - the tariff was $125 with 1.5% credit card fee (we then paid in cash)

+ pleasant surroundings, kangaroos in gardens -
+ restaurant serving good pub food at pub prices,
+ bar with cosy open fire
+ quite surroundings
+ room + bathroom clean
+ bathroom toiletries provided
+ heated by air-conditioner (thermostat didn't seem to be working - either warm or too hot)
+ other staff encountered - (apart from the check-in guy) - were all very friendly and helpful

- there doesn't seem to be any alternative places to eat without driving some distance - captive audience
- place overrun with kids on school excursions - noisy - but controlled,
- room 166 at very eastern extremity of the grounds, none or little - if any signage directing to restaurant/reception/bar - all buildings look exactly alike - real difficulty in finding your way - to - from room
- room had threadbare towels, tiles falling off wall in bathroom
- television belongs in a museum - unable to find ABC1 amongst the pay TV kids and sport channels
- as other reviewers have pointed out the location is actually in New South Wales - not ACT, Canberra, (about 20km from Canberra CBD)
+ at $125 pn - room (double) is borderline in value for $$s - Canberra is an expensive area - but there are alternative options - just a matter of Googling.........

- and last but not least the charges for WiFi - this is Australia 2013 - charging for WiFi - especially at such an exorbitant amount is just plain "guest gouging "

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Vada

Hi Vada,

Thanks for the review. We have recently taken over management of this hotel and are looking at all of our services and facilities. One high on the agenda is the internet offering.

Glad you enjoyed the bush surrounds and wildlife

We hope to see you again next time you are in Canberra.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I went into the stay with only a shred of hope that the other reviews were wrong, but unfortuently they were correct. I suppose the only good thing I could say about the room was that the TV remote worked,,, And that says a lot. The sheets were itchy the bathroom floor was covered in hair and mess and the whole room just had this sort of depressing feel to it.
I have hope that after the recent takeover by Ibis that they will clean up the whole place but as anyone who has stayed there will tell you, it's going to take a ton of work to get there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank James C
Jason B, General Manager at Ibis Styles Canberra Eaglehawk, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hi James,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us. You are correct when you say that there is work to be done. With the recent move to ibis Styles, we are frantically working to ensure that the standards you expect from an Accor hotel are implemented and maintained. Over the coming months you will begin to see some great improvements.

Rest assured that we are working to make ibis Styles Canberra Eaglehawk one of the best experience hotels to visit in Canberra.

ibis Styles Canberra Eaglehawk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton
Ibis Budget Canberra
Quality Hotel Dickson
Quality Hotel Dickson
#22 of 59 in Canberra
Parklands Hotel & Apartments

Been to Ibis Styles Canberra Eaglehawk? Share your experiences!