“Great meals, great staff”

The Wolf Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We first discovered this pub in 2013 when we visited four times in two weeks. This year we were in Pembrokeshire for three weeks, and visited six times! A very nice country pub with an excellent menu and a warm welcome from Steven, the landlord and his able assistants, the portions are generous and the prices are very good, with a lunch time menu giving two main course dishes for £12, with eleven dishes to choose from, this should satisfy everyone. But if not, the a la carte menu prices are still reasonable at around £10 for a main course. Four different seating areas, clean and tidy, and they even do accommodation at reasonable prices.

1  Thank Michael M

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Was recommended the Wolfe Inn by an acquaintance & called in for an early dinner with my partner. Exterior of the pub looks lovely & the welcome was warm & friendly.
Menu is large but limited in imaginative choices for vegetarians or fish lovers. Service was efficient & the food we ordered arrived swiftly.....a tad too swift to be 'cooked to order' if I'm honest.
Partners Turkey & ham pie was full of meat, chips were just you're average pub offering but side vegetables were over cooked & bland.
My main of scampi was hugely disappointing. Scampi were watery & verging on undercooked & the garden peas tasting decidedly canned & most definitely over cooked. The side salad was nice & the frozen Iceland style chips were ok.
Dessert I'm afraid didn't redeem the Wolfe much at all. Partner's Sticky Toffee Pudding sadly had lost any hint of toffee in the microwave & my 'Special' of Rhubarb & Apple crumble was a limp offering of stewed fruit with soggy crumble topping.
Price wise - dear for the standard of food served.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed over at the Wolfe Inn for four days and ate there every evening, enjoying all four meals in to the bargain, I'm a red meat fan so obviously Steak was on my menu during my stay, and I was not let down, I asked for my sirloin to be medium-rare (closer to rare if poss) it was simply divine, the meat is locally sourced too. My partner had varied meals over the four days but the Scampi (a favourite) and the home made Chicken & mushroom pie stood out as her fave's.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

The Wolfe Restaurant Review

What a shame. The reputation of The Wolfe has struggled for years, but this week we gave it another chance as, rightly or wrongly we had heard it was under new ownership again.

A lovely atmosphere on arrival, very friendly, helpful and welcoming staff and, presumably, owner, but one look at the menu cast immediate doubt. Too much choice, why do restaurants do this, they are setting themselves up to fall at the first hurdle. Stick to six choices for starter and main, focus on quality, not quantity and, over time, identify, say, four favourites and then introduce two specials to keep the menu fresh. This is the formula which makes the neighbouring Nant y Coy such a success and such a 'cant wait to go back' favourite.

Playing safe, I asked for a medium rare steak, it was so overdone it ended up in a serviette for a fellow diner's dog. The pastry on an over gravied pie was completely raw and was returned, changed for another medium rare steak, also overdone. I suspect that the accompanying peas, which I assume were frozen, had been in their water so long that they had morphed into a French style tinned version.

Throughout the meal the service was excellent and friendly, even over the returned pie. At the end of the meal the very pleasant waiter asked if everything had been to our liking. I mentioned that my steak had been much too over cooked and he seemed genuinely sorry (though I notice that the bill did not reflect any recognition of this disappointment). None of our party of five ordered pudding. It would be unfair not to mention that the menu is not over-priced.

The restaurant is also an hotel, and regrettably as the room cleared, empty tables were noisily set for breakfast, even though it was not yet 9:30 pm. This may cut down staff hours/pay, but is not conducive to a good dining experience.

We will not go back to eat, and will not be recommending the restaurant. However, as mentioned initially, it is a very friendly, welcoming place and as a pub, for a glass of wine (excellent, cold NZ Sauvignon) I would most certainly return, but for sustenance I would stick to peanuts!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Great food great prices and great service! Second visit and not disappointed. Consistent throughout!