“Dark stuffy and pretencious with bad food and inexusably poor service”

Wolfscastle Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolf's Castle
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have eaten here before and haver liked ths place, it just does not gel with me. I find the dining room stuffy and airless and the clientele odd. It's the srt of place that people only seem to go to for a 'posh dinner' but would rather have spent less and gone to the pub. Unfair maybe but that is the vibe given. However, we came here because one of our party wanted to and I was on the back foot from the start.
My starter of crab cakes was small, over cooked on the outside and tateless on the inside. The accomanying chilli jam was very nice. My dining companions both stated that theirs were excellent.
And thats where the good bits end.
Dirty cutley, farcical service and some of the worst food i have tasted was then presented. The staff were very young ( one lad -seriously - looked 12) and very pleasant but WOEFULLY under trained.
I received the wrong meal, gave up ontrying to order a drink and stck to the table water and the food served to my partners was dry and cold.
My curry and rice ( truly nasty, sorry - and the naan bread like eating cardborad) came without spoons and the same with mint sauce, no spoon and saucer. Were we supposed to dip or fingers in and flick it onto the (dry )roast lamb?
The dark airless interior was compounded by all the windows being covered up in drapy blinds so it felt like being in a museum - horrible, i was desperate to get outside again.
I would never, in a thousand years return here but in fairness I do know that this not the level of service and food normally given. This may have been down to them being busy with a function or a lack of staff training of the youngsters but this is still not an excuse for the catalogue of (t)errors that we endured.
Coffee and desserts were refused. At least the lady in charge took control at the end listening to my long list of complaints and reduced our bill but I wanted to be fed enjoyable food with good service and that sadly was not a fulfilled expectation.
Go to Solva instead and eat at the Cambrian, no pretence just decent food.

Room Tip: Eating here is bad enough for me, staying would probably just cause a nightmare.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RaleighGrifter
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

This is obviously a disappointing review for a hotel that tries very hard to achieve the highest standards. This was a Sunday lunch when we are always very busy, and, on this occation we had 120 in our banqueting suite and a full restaurant - which must say something about our quality & value.

We do have a few young staff, picked for their smiley attitude, who help us when we are very busy, as it helps them to become confident and interactive with their elders. The "twelve year old" is a lovely, smiley individual aged 15 and, whilst we hold training days, most of the training is on the job. On this busy occasion, senior staff may not have been able to oversee him adequately.

We are in the process of building a new brasserie with glass, bi-fold doors and skylights, to give a bright, airy environment. Our restaurant has recently been re-decorated to give a warm & elegant feel.

This individual has made a comment "...I do know that this is not the level of service & food normally given..." which other comments would support, and the curry is always made to the same recipe, very authentic, no powders or pastes added. It has always, until now, been very well received.

The head waitress gave a discount which, obviously, did not appease the situation for this table of three, but I note that some of the party have booked a table of four with us for a Sunday lunch in the next few weeks. We have every confidence that they will have the experience that I can honestly say the other 168 had on their previous visit.

Quite sincerely, thank you for your comments, it definitely keeps us on our toes and makes us want to be better. As it says on our sign - "We are passionate about food", and also everything to do with the hotel trade.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Was taken here for my birthday last year and had an amazing meal. Very good food, nice attentive waiting staff and pleasant dining experience. A little on the pricey side but as a special occasion cannot fault it and nice to get dressed up for.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

We are creating the best food for some time, making so much effort to ensure that everyone has a real dining experience. 2 course lunch for £11 and hard to spend more than £30 a head for dinner, is, we feel reasonable. Thank you so much for your positive comments.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

we stayed here 14th feb for valentines night,really lovely stay,the food was very good,all 5 courses were very tasty and well presented by their excellent staff,all of which were very happy to help,charlotte deserves special mention for her help and friendly nature a credit to the wolfscastle,the room we stayed in was very nice,clean,and comfortable,what more can you ask for,will we stay again ,yes for certain we will watch out for the special nights,thank you all at the wolfscastle for excellent stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TenbyWalesRay

I will pass on your comments to charlotte, she is a lovely girl & I am very lucky to have her. It is so nice when staff are recognised individually, thank you.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Me and my husband have eaten here a number of times! The food is lovely! You get what you pay for! The restaurant is nicely decorated and the staff are friendly. I do highly recommend this place for food. I even got a voucher for my friends birthday so she could have a meal out on me!!! Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words, we feel our food has gone up another gear with our new head chef. We look forward to being of service to you again.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here recently for four nights and was very pleased with the standard of accommodation. The restaurant was lovely and the bar area comfortable. Free wi fi is so important for my business travel and I appreciated the availability. The hotel is undergoing some outside refurbishment which will be lovely when completed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Hopefully by Easter we will have completed the re-furbishment which will give us a larger more contemporary bar & a small comfortable lounge. w are all so excited about it.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here for a week in January whilst working in the area. The rooms were of a decent size and well looked after and cleaned. The decor was fine although some have said it was a little dated. The wifi was a little hit and miss, but in the bar area was fine. The food was outstanding although the menu isn't overly extensive. The prawn starter is a must!!! All of the hotel staff were very pleasant and couldn't do enough for me, which makes or breaks the hotel. The hotel is having a conservatory added which will be finished in April, and this will extend the bar area and make it a little more modern. Overall I cannot fault the hotel and will definitely be stopping here again.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I visited here on business mid week in January and, having stayed at the Fishguard Bay last visit would have been happy with anything as an improvement.

I was delighted with my room and the very welcome bottles of water following my long journey. There was plenty of room to work on my laptop and the bed and decor were great. I met family for dinner which we chose to eat in the bar as it was so cozy and were served by the friendliest, most helpful gentleman - I believe he was called Dave (?). He advised on the wine and the menu without being pushy.

Following a great nights sleep I had the best cooked breakfast ever - so large even I couldn't finish it - beautifully cooked and seasoned perfectly.

I will definitely come back and would detour to this hotel even if it is not on the direct route. In fact, I may bring the family next time for a leisure visit.

This is how a hotel should be. Friendly but luxurious.

(not a criticism, a suggestion? Could you consider some light music at breakfast as it was a little quiet?)

1  Thank Gaynor O
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you so much for your positive comments. Davee, the young person you refer to, is a real asset, and it will be a great encouragement for him to progress having seen his name in print. Again, thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolf's Castle
St Brides Spa Hotel
St Brides Spa Hotel
#1 of 4 in Saundersfoot
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Wolfscastle Country Hotel? Share your experiences!