“Wonderful service, homemade cooking, beautiful shaded terrace with view on Lake Como”
Review of La Meridiana

La Meridiana
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: New management from May 2014
Reviewed August 6, 2013

we were so lucky to find this place! We came for dinner and returned for lunch because of the quality of the food, the friendly service and the wonderful views from the shaded terrace. We loved the local fish "lavarello" and the "tagliata di manzo", but really the homemade desserts were best: The pineapple carpaccio (!!!) as mentioned by another guest is a must, and the "tortino al cioccolato del cuore morbido" is to die for! We liked the wine of the week: Arneis Langhe, a white from Piemont for only 12 euros per bottle. I even bought two bottles to take home. We could not believe that this jewel of a restaurant was not more busy during this high season - for lunch we were the only guests and the kids were even allowed to "help" in the kitchen (see picture :-) Most of all: Very friendly service by both Alberto himself and the waitress, originally from Manchester!

1  Thank Urlaub4me
La_Meridiana_lago, Proprietario at La Meridiana, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
I am more than happy to read your comments.
My staff and me are proud to have served you and your beautiful family for three times. I hope your holidays ended in the best way and I want you to know that for me it has been a great satisfaction to see you and your family coming back to la Meridiana during your stay on lake of Como.
I hope to see you again next year.
Warm regards
Alberto

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Had two excellent meals here whilst staying at Lake Como Beach Resort. The menu is small, but the quality is very good which is much more important! Fabulous focaccia, followed by a large starter (I didn't think I would mange the second course). The first night I had the veal and my husband had the steak, we shared a desert. Nothing could be faulted. On the second visit we shared a starter of melon and ham, I had the local fish, which was absolutely delicious, followed by the pineapple desert; the best desert I have ever had in my whole life! I cannot fault this restaurant and the portions were more than enough for us, and the prices reasonable. We will certainly eat here again when we return to the area.

Thank you for two lovely evenings!

La_Meridiana_lago, Proprietario at La Meridiana, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Amanda,
Many thanls for your comments that I really appreciate and that I shown also to my staff to motivate them! We are all very happy that you enjoied your stay here in Como lake beach resort and at La Meridiana. For me this is a great satisfaction and I hope to see you again!
Warm regards
Alberto
PS: pineapple is marinated with ginger, mint and pepper. The last two ingredients are grown in my garden.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The best thing here is the stunning view over lake Como. There is a slightly run down feel about this property as you are shown by a sign to the entry in the front. The owner seems to be the cook waiter and maitre d' so he was running around initially even though only 4 tables were taken (Monday night). Help arrived and so did the slice. Menu was very limited- 3 or 4 pastas : 3 or 4 starters 2 meat 2 fish and a vegetarian dish. I had an excellent gnocchi and my wife was more than happy with her spaghetti bolognese ( a meat sauce with little if any tomato in Italy unlike the UK). There was an excellent veal chop in breadcrumbs we both enjoyed - a bit small and surprised to see much larger portions in local supermarket next day. Potatoes sautéed in herbs were a good accompaniment . Finally a wonderful chocholate soufflé to end for both of us- recommended. The bill was EUR 90 for 2 with a bottle of red and white wine (OK at EUR 9 each) and 2 sparkling waters. A bit steep I thought but.... the view was to die for

La_Meridiana_lago, Proprietario at La Meridiana, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
many thanks for your comments.
I am happy that you enjoied our freshly made food! At "la Meridiana" we prepare all day by day: gnocchi are home made, sauces too, even the veal: we don't buy the veal chops already pre-cut but we debone the carrè (I choose the veal by myself controling the country of origin, the age and where it has been butched).
The reason that you find a limited amount of dishes is because I made a choice between quantity and quality. It is better, in my opinion and also for the most of my Clients, to serve a few fresh disches instead of dozens of frozens
I hope to see you again.
Kind regards
Alberto, Chef and Manager and (yes you are right ;-) sometimes waiter.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were looking for a nice dinner at a not so fancy place & luckily, found ourselves (mother, father & 11 years old daughter) at a very good restaurant with excellent dishes (fresh lake fishes, good meet & brilliant deserts).
You must try the desert with pineapple marinated in ginger, mint & pepper served with vanilla ice cream.

1  Thank Kokokr
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We visited on a Sunday night so it was quiet but we had a very good selection of dishes with local specialities. Very nice puddings. A bit expensive for 4 of us as a family - 80 euro's for two courses and 4 drinks.

1  Thank smsh050