“Holiday of a lifetime with wildlife a plenty and memorys to treasure”
Review of Knight Inlet Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glendale Cove
Knight Inlet Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glendale Cove
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went on a 4 day trip to knights inlet and we had an amazing experiance, the float plane was incrediable you flew over the mounting and the lodge just appears in the distance and this was the start of a fabulous 4 days. If there was any concerns about seeing bears this was disspelled within 20 mins of the plane landing, bella and her 2 cubs munching away on sedge. All told we seen around 10 different bears and we was lucky enough to see a black bear at the back of the lodge which was incredeble. The staff was outstanding and a special thanks goes to eddie and dean who were brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paul_vale156
There are newer reviews for Knight Inlet Lodge

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family and I (2 adults and 2 young teenagers) recently stayed here following a recommendation from friends. We had looked at places in Tofino but wanted something less touristy and a bit more natural. Knight Inlet more than exceeded our expectations. It has the benefit of being recently renovated following a fire last year so the whole facility is in pristine condition and very comfortable. The reason that this place is so special is that it's truly remote and the staff want you to have an exceptional time. During our induction the lovely Moira who plans a personalised itinerary for you each day, said she and the staff wanted to make this the best experience we had ever had and they were all true to her word. We stayed 4 days which is unusual with most people just coming for 1 or 2 days to see some bears. The lodge has so much to offer than just bear viewing that a 2 night stay is the minimum to give it all justice. We went on two boat trips into the inlet including a magical one where the dolphins played and danced around the boat. The food is simply outstanding - you won't leave lighter than you arrived! It's the staff though that really make the experience exceptional. They want you to get on activities as soon as you arrive so you get the maximum time with all the wonderful wildlife and scenery the area has to offer. The guides are incredibly knowledgeable and give very interesting talks each evening on their favourite wildlife topics. We were sad to leave and can hardly wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TravellingNewt
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had a two night stay with a fairly full lodge in the brand new facility. The team have made an excellent job in getting the new facility up and running and immediately attended to the minor glitches pointed out to them - a real "can do" attitude.

The organisation was very thorough and easily handled the large number of guests with a significant turn over. The aim is to keep you moving smoothly between activities with the focus on seeing wildlife and having some experience of the surrounding wilderness. The staff are very enthusiastic and knowledgeable and a delight to talk to and learn from. We saw extensive wildlife ( bears, eagles etc ) within minutes of arrival and, over two days, had ample opportunity to observe and photograph the various individual animals.

Each boat observation revealed new members of the local bear community and the "walk in the clouds" and " Forrest walk" provided extra perspectives on the bear environment. We also had an exhilarating introduction to kayaking - must buy one! Other guests took in the lengthy "whale watching" boat trip but had enthral king encounters with Orcas.

The accommodation was surprisingly good - on a par with many city mid level hotels and the best shower in Canada, while the food was perfectly acceptable but obviously not as much choice as an a la carte establishment. The Campbell River hotel was pleasant, enlivened by the bald eagles feeding on a salmon across the street and a deer overnighting outside our room. The seaplane rude was a new experience for us and spectacular with much better an dings than we get at Heathrow.

Other guests also proved an interesting addition to the experience - basically, those who go are of a like mind and made great holiday acquaintances.

Bottom line is that this is an excellent way to experience the wilderness and encounter wildlife. Two days there is certainly worthwhile if you can afford the time, and we could have enjoyed a third day.

Room Tip: They're all the same layout in the rebuilt lodge. Land facing rooms may see shore side bears, fr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ColSkip
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Lodge and had the most amazing 2 day adventure. It was without doubt the best holiday experience we've ever had. Right from the floatplane ride in on a glorious Sunday morning, sitting in the co-pilot's seat, things just kept getting better and better.

For the first 24 hours we were the only guests at the lodge and the staff went out of their way to ensure we had a great time. They made us feel like we were part of the family. Within what felt like minutes of landing at the lodge, we were out bear watching with Kristina and our shadow "Eddy" and actually seeing our first Grizzly Bear foraging in the seaweed. Then during dinner that evening one of the staff rushed in saying there was a female black bear with her two cubs at the rear of the lodge and it was really refreshing to see the staff rushing for their cameras as well as us, all in awe of such wonderful creatures.

We had been dreaming and planning this "trip of a lifetime" to Canada for nearly 15 years and saving up for it for 10 years and Knight Inlet was just a small part of the itinerary. However, after our brief but action packed stay at the Lodge, no other element of the holiday came close to surpassing the "experience of a lifetime" we had at Knight Inlet.

Our thanks go to all the guys, Robin, Alex, Brandon, Claire, Alyssa (sorry if I've spelt it wrong) Brian, Dean (salmon handshake man), Kristina, Jess, Eddy, Scotty, John, Shea and not forgetting Frank for making this, our "20th Wedding Anniversary trip" more like the honeymoon we should have had. You guys are amazing and we miss you like crazy.

PS I still fondly recall our breakfast table conversations with Eddy - he is such a morning person ;-) and as a result of our visit, I am pestering my wife to buy me a kayak back in the UK coz I absolutely loved the peace and tranquillity of being out on the inlet in a kayak and hearing nothing but nature.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Watty68
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My 2 days of intrepid adventure were filled with wonderful experiences. Bears of course, eagles, barn swallows, rufus humming birds, loons, otter, mink and a hike "to infinity and beyond" by way of the newly constructed boardwalk and viewing platform from where we looked down on an eagle nest with chick.
As an early season guest to the new lodge, I found everything - accommodation, waterproof gear, equipment etc, brand new and of top quality.
The chefs prepared daily menus which would not have been out of place in a top restaurant.
The guides Moira, Madison, Jess, Kristina and Kris were superbly well informed and took the greatest of care of all guests.
Each day presented a variety of activities to be enjoyed - I still cannot believe that I went kayaking for my first time thanks to Dean.
Thankyou everyone for an unforgettable trip!

Room Tip: Rooms 7 - 12 look out on the estuary
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Mabel C
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We have just returned from visiting Knight Inlet. The staff were extremely informative and friendly and overall excellant. The lodge very comfortable. Facilities were also of a very high quality. Our only issue was the limited number of bears. We say Bella (who is going to be a movie star in a forthcoming Disney movie) and her 2 x cubs, another 2 x sub adult males and another female. I expected to see more. The trip was still worth while even though it is expensive - but you can see why as they have spent alot of money on the lodge/infastructure etc.

We stayed there for 2 days and some of the "non bear viewing" tours were to some degree "a time filler". I understand that the bear's welfare is paramount, but I went to Knight Inlet to view bears not spending time viewing dolphins.

I would recommend the Lodge - but where possible defer your travel to the salmon spawning season when you will get to see alot more bears. There are only 15 bears in the immediate area but 60 visit during spawning. If not - please let the staff know you want to spend the maximum amount of time viewing the bears (you can never get tired of watching them). We did and we got another viewing trip on the second day. Each trip lasts for 90 minutes or so. Another recommendation is if you are into photography - take the biggest lens you can. The guides stay well away from the bears so ideally you need a large 300mm lens. I had 270mm and I wish I had larger.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SydneyTraveller_2008
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My two days at Knight Inlet Lodge rate higher than any other 48 hours of travel. This includes all continents, trekking in the Himalayas, crossing the Andes, an idyllic Carribean island, a year living in the Mediterranean, 5 years living and travelling in SE Asia, and the privilege of being raised in a very beautiful part of rural New Zealand. The night in Campbell wasn't anything special. Prior to leaving Campbell River that seemed important, but once we got closer to the lodge it became insignificant. The float plane flight in was spectacular. Not only the scenery, but the whole float plane flight. Such a great vehicle to have been able to travel on. The arrival was quick and effective, but more importantly, enthusiastic. I have just read a review where the perception was the staff were racing to a timetable. My perspective is they are running to a timetable to get the guests out to what they came to see as quickly as they can, for as long as they can.

I can't speak highly enough of the staff or the experience. We had the most sensational bear viewing. We were multi-night guests in the high autumn season with a full lodge, but not for a minute did we feel we couldn't go bear viewing due to visitors who were staying for a shorter time. Having stayed in exclusive accommodation many times the rooms at knight inlet are quite simple. But that is part of what works. It would feel wrong if the rooms were appointed like a high street 5 star hotel. I loved that we could see Black Bear feasting on kelp and mussels out the back windows of our room and the main dining area. The outside tables and the communal dining area were very relaxed. Before we booked I read all the reviews and was a little disappointed at the big tables described, as I prefer to have dinner with who I am travelling with. However, at Knight Inlet the staff and people you have been out watching the bears with just mix in. You've had such an amazing day, in such a beautiful place, seeing such incredible things that you just want to talk a out it to anyone who will listen - even for an introvert!

In our two days we saw so many bears, had the opportunity to meet some incredibly knowledgeable guides, eat some great food, enjoy the company of interesting, well traveled fellow guests and relax.

A week to the day after leaving the lodge it burnt down to the waterline. Having had the most amazing holiday so soon before it was very sad to think it was gone. No chance to do it again. I've followed the post fire progress and am so happy to see the lodge has emerged again. It will be different, but the things that matter will be the same.

Thank you Dean and Kathy for recommitting to such a special place, so that people like me can experience it. One day we will come back to see those amazing bears again. I'm glad you pack so much into a day for your guests. It stops us missing out of great experiences. When I come back I hope I will dine on those deep water shrimp and have the chance to hike to the top of trails at dusk and eat fresh strawberries when we get there. Sit on a calm evening on the communal deck with a G&T at sunset having seen all manner of bear, and reflect on a great day. Then wake the next morning and feel very lucky to be able to be there for one more day.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank k1winomad
kilopsman, Manager at Knight Inlet Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. While our original lodge may be gone we will be up and running for the start of our season on May 24. We look forward to showing off our new lodge to first time guests as well as all of our returning guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glendale Cove
#3 of 16 in Campbell River
Painter's Lodge
Painter's Lodge
#2 of 16 in Campbell River

Been to Knight Inlet Lodge? Share your experiences!