“I have never been anywhere like this before ...”
Review of Knight Inlet Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glendale Cove
Knight Inlet Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glendale Cove
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Wow - what an amazing time we had at Knight Inlet.
We travelled as a party of 4 to Canada for 3 weeks and went for the 3 night package at Knight Inlet including one night at Campbell river.
We arrived at the floatplane airport in rain and relatively high winds for this time of year and Harold put us at our ease with his informative but jokey introduction to Knight Inlet. The plane took 25 minutes and was pretty hairy as the wind was high and there was poor visibility. My husband was in the co-pilots seat and seemed to be enjoying the thrill of fairly dramatic bumps.
However we immediately felt better when we arrived. I haven't enough words to describe how amazing the Inlet and lodge are or to describe how fantastic all the staff were. I shall try to summarise!
The accomodation was good - plenty adequate for your stay - they keep you so busy, you only sleep in the rooms.
The organisation was first class from beginning to end - led by Steve the manager, who kept a close eye on everything
The food was amazing - Chef Todd is a miracle worker. If you are a vegetarian - be prepared for a treat. The carnivores were extremely satisfied too. Good healthy, tasty food and plenty of it.
Staff - could not have asked for more. They all worked as a team, were hugely skilled and informative and seemed to love their work. Special mention goes to Bob Scriba who was one of the best guides I have ever had - his Inlet tour was a revelation and you felt privileged to be in this scenery with someone as sensitive to nature as Bob is.
Equipment - was excellent - all manner of raingear and protective clothing. The boats and platforms all well maintained to a high standard.
Wildlife - absolutely beautiful. Before I went I thought Knight Inlet was all about the bears, but in fact it is so much more. The inlet supports a huge diversity of life and I was amazed by the herons, seals, ducks and other living things that we saw - special mention has to go to the stunning bald eagles.
Bears - we were unfortunate with the grizzlies. We stood for 6 hours one day at a viewing platform and saw a bear for 30 seconds. We did see Peanut briefly as well. We were more fortunate with the black bears who are great too.
I was very sad to leave and wish we had booked for the 3night at the lodge package as it meant we could go on the trip to the Johnson Straits to whale watch.
When we left I had a lump in my throat as I realised I will not be in such a special environment again for a long time ( we hope to return one day) and it had been so blissful to be without mobile phone signal or wi-fi for 48 hours!

Thank you to everyone at the lodge for making Knight Inlet such a unique and treasured place.

3  Thank madcatwoman
There are newer reviews for Knight Inlet Lodge

Reviewed August 22, 2011

It really is a privilege to see such magnificent creatures as Grizzly bears in their natural habit. Knight Inlet Lodge is brilliant, it simply ticks all the boxes. The food was great, the staff were knowledgable, friendly and helpful always and the scenery leaves you speechless. Whilst we were there we went on estuary tours and saw bears and otters, a great rainforrest walk, kayaking, a superb inlet boat ride and we also went bear tracking.
This was a definate highlight of our holiday and I would thoroughly recommend it. Even the float plane was fun!

3  Thank JoJ_11
Reviewed August 21, 2011

The trip to Knight Inlet was arranged for us in the UK as I had stated that I wanted do a bear watching trip. Nothing could have prepared me for the experience. From the moment that we arrived it was all go with little time to ourselves but that added to the enjoyment. The sight of the bears with their cubs in the wild was just awesome. The staff were great, the food was superb and plenty of it, and the accomodation was very good too. I can't describe how I felt about the place or the experience, I really didn't want to leave and could have spent many more days watching the wildlife and enjoying the scenery. This was something that I will always remember and over 2000 photos will help. Oh, by the way, I'm a male over 50 years old and if it had this effect on me, think what it could do for you.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank simply9
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We have just returned from an overnight stay at Knight Inlet Lodge and I can honestly say it was an amazing experience. All of the staff were excellent. Each guide was extremely knowledgeable and genuinely enthusiastic. Our float plane journey was smooth as we flew low under the cloud. Within an hour of arriving we were off on our first excursion up the inlet to look at wonderful waterfalls, towering mountain sides and - the icing on the cake - a grizzly bear wandering up the river bank. That afternoon we were lucky enough to watch a mother bear with her 2 cubs frolicking in the river and then later, having climbed into a tree house we watched young male grizzly fishing for salmon in the river. The salmon were heading up the river in their hundreds, jumping out regularly! The following morning as we kayaked leisurely up the river estuary we witnessed a wolf padding across the grass - we were blown away (as was our guide!). All in all this was one amazing stay, good food, good company, great staff and a privilege to witness some fabulous wildlife.

6  Thank WorcesterwomanUk
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This floating lodge is a very special place. A schedule is prepared for you so that they can offer you the most of the things to see and do. Each member of the crew is very helpful and friendly.
As soon as you land you get a very nice reception and they are very anxious to take you on one the many 2 hours trips they have for you ( if you stay for only one night, otherwise a less tight schedule is prepared for you).
The food and snacks are delicious, freshly made every day! One night is simply too short....

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rvdvlas
Reviewed August 11, 2011

To end a family tour of Vancouver Island from England, Whale watching and Grizzly bear viwing was our 'highlight'. Knight Inlet Lodge exceeded our expectations. We wanted 3 nights but were only able to book 2 but that was perfect! We took advice from the owners and booked our own Whale watching with Stubbs Island tours from Telegraph Cove before visiting Knight Inlet. -That was awesome too! Then caught the float plane and started our fantastic experience. We saw bears from the plane but also on the first estuary tour 30 minutes later. The Staff were great..nothing was too much trouble. They were knowledgeable and really friendly. Dean especially went out of his way to appeal to the children-jokes and stories and even letting the boys 'drive' the boats for a while. A great mix of viewing bears from the boats, an inlet tour, tracking tour rain forest trek and kayaking allowed us all enjoy the whole experience. The food was brilliant- something for every taste and always plentiful. Rooms were also very comfortable although you don't spend much time in them with breakfast at 6.30 am and dinner/ optional interpretative talks finishing 9.30!
We would not hesitate to recommend the 2 night tours. Probably the end of August and September when the salmon have arrived would have been an even better time to visit to view the bears feeding in the streams. (but I believe it gets booked a year in advance)

7  Thank BJH1996
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the lodge for 3 nights and had a stunning trip. We were very lucky with the weather and even luckier with the bears!
After the fabulous sea plane trip from Campbell river, we were on the boats (with another 4 people) and were watching a grizzly and her two cubs within 30 minutes of our arrival! This was followed by a rare sighting of a black bear at close quarters (at the aptly named 'Black Bear Bay'). The sightings and viewings then went on so every trip we did out (there are 4 scheduled every day) we saw some sort of wild animal (grizzly bears, black bears, deer, mink, eagles, kingfishers, dolphins, whales.........).
The other trips available were just as amazing, with stunning scenery and the chance to see wildlife you wouldn't believe. At one point we 'joined' a pod of around 100 dolphins and watched them as they swam. Truly amazing.
The staff at the Lodge were all excellent and always willing to help. They maximised the chance of seeing things and everything was co-ordinated really well. The rooms were large and spacious and much better than we had expected. Every night we slept well - whether that was becuase the tours tired us out, the fresh air and serenity or the fabulous food (or all of these) I'm not sure.
It is definitely worth staying 2 or 3 nights to make the most of the bear viewing opportunities (one night is not enough). Don't forget to take your camera charger and also a huge memory card!
This was a wonderful trip and one that we will be repeating again in the near future.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 16 in Campbell River
Painter's Lodge
Painter's Lodge
#2 of 16 in Campbell River

Been to Knight Inlet Lodge? Share your experiences!