“In need of an upgrade”

Parklands Resort & Conference Centre
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Mudgee
Reviewed July 24, 2014

A bit sad that we booked into a "resort" with the pool and spa out of commission. The room's heater was extremely noisy, probably a first generation heat pump. It barely kept the room warm enough. The TV reception was marginal, with the football world cup reception un-watchable.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Patrick S
There are newer reviews for Parklands Resort & Conference Centre

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We went to Mudgee to catch up with friends and family. We have stayed at Parklands before and we will stay there again. The staff are so friendly and helpful. The rooms are exceptionally clean and fresh. There are a wide variety of toiletries, teas and coffee.
Our room was well located. It was quiet during our stay.
The resort is reasonably located near to the wineries and the town.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room. The rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We booked for a two night stay and arrived in Mudgee a bit early on the Friday. Had lunch at the cheese factory and then thought we would see if Parklands would let us in a bit early.

The receptionist was very obliging and found us a room as the one that had been allocated had not been cleaned yet. We borrowed some bikes and went into Mudgee township. Bikes were maintained well.

We came back and decided to have a swim and spa. As per instructions in the room compendium we went to the reception desk to get towels for the pool.

We went to the pool and, luckily I dipped my foot in the water before jumping in. If not, I would have been singing falsetto for days. Disappointed we went back to reception only to be told the swimming pool heater was not working but the spa should have been ok. It was not.

It is very disappointing when you book somewhere for the facilities - heavily promoted in all their advertising material - only to find out they are unavailable. It is made worse when staff do not forewarn you of the problem.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Beds a little firm but we slept well.

Breakfast was below average. They had set out the baskets of bread next to a slow combustion heater. I assume this was why all the bread appeared to be stale. This was a conversation point between guests as we wondered how they had managed to make it feel half toasted before we had attempted to toast it.

There was a sign saying don’t put the croissants in the toaster but, alas, no croissants were offered over the two days. It was a poor breakfast experience.

The location is a lovely rural setting but they need to polish up their service delivery and provide what they advertise.

Room Tip: All rooms seem spacious. If you like it quiet you may wish to ask for a room away from the courtyar...
1  Thank Ken C
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Parklands in June 2014 and could not be more disappointed with the lack of service from the staff.
We awoke on the first morning to find out that we had no cold water. Investigations from House service advised us that there was a plumbing issue and all cold water had been cut off - so no shower or toilet. No notice or advice from Management at all. Forgive me, but in this day and age, when you pay for accommodation with a bathroom, you just expect to have a shower and a toilet, I went down to reception (in a hurry) only to find that the facilities there were also closed. I did find a disabled toilet to use.
That afternoon, when my husband finally got to have a shower, I went to reception to have a grizzle only to get a massive "well it's fixed now, what is your problem" attitude. I also wanted to raise the issue when checking out, but the recptionist just took a phone call and did not want to even ask how my stay was.
WORSE of all: I made contact with Management and they also have ignored my issue. No apology from anyone for our inconvenience !!!!!!!!!!
Other problems that I would normally have ignored include: The barmaid could not light the fire in the bar - seriously in June in Mudgee - it should of been on all day. Also our package included drinks and a cheese platter each day - which we had to chase.
I loved my first visit to Mudgee and most people that we came across were all lovely. I can seriously recommend Roth Wine Bar and Isabella's and The Blue Wren vineyard, but next time we will stay somewhere different. Not good enough Parkalnds !!

Room Tip: Stairs could be an issue for an elderly person
7  Thank Alison S
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This resort offers a good standard of accommodation in a pleasant country setting just outside Mudgee. It is conveniently located to many local wineries and the township, the rooms are quite well appointed and were very quiet during our stay. My wife and I particularly appreciated the included breakfast served in the very pleasant dining room. Although we were not utilising the other facilities the resort appears to be well set up for conferences etc.

Room Tip: Our room was at the end of the second section of the motel--it was somewhat removed from reception/d...
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I stayed in the Deluxe room which was comfortable and spacious. I had dinner in the restaurant and there was a good range of wines to choose from. The main meals had about 6 choices and the one I wanted wasn't available (only 4 tables of customers were dining whilst I was there). The steak I had tasted very nice as did the potato croquettes, however I asked for it cooked medium and it had been cooked medium - well done. For dessert I had the cheesecake which was ok, but nothing special.
I would stay here again as the rooms were comfortable and there is an onsite gym - treadmill, bike and a couple of weight machines.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The pluses with this property are that the rooms were comfortable and that the overall decor in the public areas (particularly the restaurant) was of a high standard.
However, my overall impression was that for what it offered it was somewhat overpriced.
In addition, the staff, while polite, appeared to not really being interested and went about their work with no passion or enthusiasm - which is not what country Australia needs if it is to promote itself in the increasingly global tourism market.
Specific gripes were that the air con/heater unit in the room sounded like a low flying 747, the spa and pool were unusable because they were far too cold (great if you are a Russian ice swimmer but not so good if you want to sit in a warm spa at the end of a day's driving) and the draught Heinnekin in the bar was off.
As a footnote, I'm a bit wary submitting this review as reading past reviews that have criticised this property generally leads to a spectacularly combatative response from management!

Room Tip: Maybe go for the upgraded rooms, but apparently they lack a bath.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Nigel B
ParklandsMgr, General Manager at Parklands Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to read our previous reviews.

Our sincere apologies if you felt that our staff had no passion in their positions. This is disappointing and I do hope you mentioned this to a member of management. If not, I would genuinely appreciate contact to discuss this further. We pride ourselves on our staff and I completely agree that regional Australia, as does all of Australia need to provide better customer service.

Thank you for your comments on the air conditioners. Our Standard rooms are due to have the air conditioners replaced this year, as our Deluxe rooms were recently upgraded.

Unfortunately our pool heating is being repaired this coming fortnight, and definitely would have been a little cool during your stay. I do hope you were informed of this on arrival.

I will address with our Food & Beverage Manager as to why there was no Heineken as this should not be the case.

Finally, in regards to your footnote, I am sure that you can appreciate that not all guests comments are fair and just. Trip advisor is a fantastic forum for both parties to discuss openly their stay. At no time do we intend to go to combat with our guests and apologies if it has been portrayed this way.

I hope that overall you enjoyed parts of your stay and once again apologies for any issues you may have had. I will speak with the relevant departments, and Front Office as I hope you provided them with your concerns and feedback on departure.

If you are ever travelling back to Mudgee please feel free to contact me on manager@parklandsresort.com.au

Many thanks.