“Repeat visit.”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Have had excellent experiences at this location over a number of years. The food, wine and ambience are great. Has been renovated since last visit without loosing anything.

There are newer reviews for Red Heifer

Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

It's been years since I frequented this pub. It's changed so much but for the better. I met friends with kids for dinner. Food great, service friendly and kids had great fun in the play area. Not the cheapest but great quality. Worth a visit.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We visited this restaurant in the school holidays and on first impression it seemed like a lovely pub. The girls behind the bar were very friendly and obliging, even going so far as to let us taste some wine before we bought a bottle to go with our dinner.
We decided not to cook our own steaks and placed our order at the restaurant with some older ladies behind the counter. My husband loves his steak rare and emphasised this when we ordered. There was no friendly interaction from these ladies just a feeling of, "hurry up, place your order and jog on". We didn't pay too much attention to this but were surprised, as being visitors to the Mudgee area for the day we had only encountered very friendly country hospitality.
Once our meals were delivered, or rather plonked down in front of us, my husband cut into his steak to find it cooked medium at best. I offered to take it back to the counter for him so he could stay with the kids and I explained to one of the older ladies that the steak was not rare as ordered.
Her and her co--worker looked at it and then at me as if I had just inconvenienced the whole kitchen with my petty issue. I mean, how dare we pay In the vicinity of $35 for a steak and then expect it to be cooked to how we ordered it! Honestly, the nerve of some people.......anyway, with much eye rolling she turned her back and said "right, I'll get it done again!" Really?
The same woman brought the new steak back to the table some 15 to 20 minutes later and once again plonked it down in front of my husband clearly giving us the impression she was not happy, so my husband commented that it seemed to be difficult to get a rare steak to which she replied over her shoulder for all the other diners to hear, "maybe next time you should cook the steak yourself"!!! You could have heard a pin drop after that, such was the shock on everyone's faces.
I immediately went to the bar and asked to speak to the manager and one of the young girls said she was the manager for that night so I explained to her what had just taken place. She was suitably shocked and couldn't apologise enough, she even asked me if it was this particular woman as if to infer that this wasn't the first time something like this had happened. She said she would ask the licensee to come and see us when he came in.
Shortly afterwards a man came over to our table and I introduced ourselves to him and explained what had happened. His immediate reply was that the woman said my husband swore at her (this was true, but he swore whilst explaining to me what he thought of this place so her hearing must be reliable only upon hearing swear words and not how a person likes their steak cooked).
There seemed to be a lot of hand wringing on his part and not a lot of apologies coming forth, not even a "can I offer you a complementary glass of wine?", just a lot of nodding of the head etc and then he drops the clanger, "that woman you're talking about is my wife". So there it was, the staff are the professional friendly ones and it's the owners that have taken their cue from Fawlty Towers.
We had a choice when it came to picking a nice place to have dinner in Mudgee and we chose the Lawson Park Hotel. As if business isn't hard enough, these people have to sabotage their own clientele by making them feel as if they're the ones inconveniencing them and to top it off it's the owners who are guilty of this, their own staff are the stars of this place.

13  Thank OceanBeachgirl25
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Went to this restaurant on a cold Saturday, great log fire plus gas heaters everywhere.
Food was very good, service great, if your in Mudgee and want a pub restaurant with atmosphere and good food this is the place.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

In my opinion this pub is well worth a visit. It has been renovated and is clean, fresh and inviting with something for everyone, including children. They have lots of specials -- we went on a Monday night and it was 2 steak meals for the price of 1 and included salad, chips and sauce of choice. You can either cook your own steak or pay a little extra to have it cooked for you.There's plenty of meal options available. The staff are friendly and helpful and there's a nice little play area outside for the children.