“Slightly overambitious chef but decent food”

High Valley Cheese Co. Tastings at The Cellar by Gilbert
Ranked #19 of 75 Restaurants in Mudgee
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 7, 2010

The food here is decent, but smacks a bit of a chef trying too hard. My main - a stuffed chicken breast - was very nice but there was no carbs to go with it. A fellow diner's risotto was overloaded with chilli, another's Vietnamese Beef Salad not enough.

The setting is very nice, with indoor and outdoor options (though indoors is also within the shop, which could be odd for some people). As other reviewers here point out, the service is a bit slow and inattentive.

Reviewed October 17, 2010

We didn't have a meal, but tasted wine and cheese. It was quite busy, but we didn't have to wait at all. The gentleman who poured the wine we tasted spent lots of time with us and discussed the wines in detail. The young guy who handed out tastes of at least nine cheeses to the eight of us standing there coudn't have been more pleasant and patient. As I was paying for some wine the lady at the cash register stared deeply into my eyes and joked about how busy they were, but how they try to provide good service. She mentioned a review in Trip Advisor in which a lack of eye contact was noted. No doubt the service here, like anywhere else, can vary depending on how busy they are and the quality of the staff on duty, but we had a very good experience.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

I totally agree with your first reviewer. We had a similar experience on 2 occasions. On the first we persevered as my daughters were keen to indulge in a bottle of and a cheese plate in the beautiful garden.
The staff don't greet you as they do in most places. It's a bit like Fawlty Towers, where the customer seems to be a nuisance. In fact they don't make eye contact at all. I thought this was a basic piece of customer service training.
We only went back the other day as we wanted to buy some wine that my daughter had enjoyed on our first visit.. Well, we stood at the counter for at least 5 minutes, whilst we were ignored by at least 5 staff members. They were definitely not busy. My husband said.'Let's get out of here.'
It was only as we opened the doors that a 'waitress' said,'Did you want to try some wine?'
We answered,'We did.'
We then visited Frog Rock where we received wonderful attention. What a shame as High Valley have a great product. They don't just get how to sell it.

Reviewed July 3, 2010

I didn't get a chance to taste the food. I patiently waited for 20 minutes without service before walking out, there's plenty of other nice places in Mudgee. It wasn't that busy, and it was plain poor service to ignore us waiting to order. Even after I flagged down a waitress she then walked past our table and served another group that arrived after us. Blacklisted now, I wouldn't go back there if I was paid to.

Reviewed November 25, 2009

they have free wine & cheese tastings & you can sit in the shade on a hot day with lunch & the perfect backdrop!