“Our favorite hotel in Spain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Posada de San Jose

Posada de San Jose
Ranked #1 of 30 Cuenca B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Our favorite hotel in Spain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Posada de San Jose is our favorite hotel which we have to visit whenever in Spain! Many people have their favorite room in this hotel, and so do we. The location and the view is unique, looking down on the gore and the parador.
The food is exciting and always developing, the service excellent. The hotel is from the 16th century and filled with old furniture and paintings, and they have also a lot of modern art.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed in the magical Posada San José during our 10th anniversary trip to Spain. A historic building in a narrow, beautiful street in the mesmerizing town of Cuenca. You start by admiring its facade, it is beautiful and speaks of centuries-old history. What was once a monastery, and afterwards a children's choir school, is now a charming hotel, but what waited for us inside amazed us even more. We booked a superior double room which was much more than we hoped for: it was spacious, had two balconies and the most spectacular views of the gorge. The bathroom surprised us since it was incredibly (simple but good) and spent some time wandering the garden, which of course has spectacular views also. The Posada San José is a family run business. we spent some time talking to the owner's brother, who was in charge of the front of the house when we arrived. He was very kind and eager to help us find our way through the town and even gave us tips as to where to visit and opening hours. We were next door to the Cathedral and all the main attractions in Cuenca. The hotel has WiFi in the common area/ lobby, not in the rooms. But it is a blessing since there is so much to see in Cuenca that you won't want to spend any time browsing the internet. There is a private parking nearby which offers a discount for hotel guests (charges 15 Euros per night), and further up there is free parking also. Just leave your bags in the hotel and then proceed to park. We stayed only for one night and wished we could have stayed longer. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Book a Superior Double room, it is well worth the additional money.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Pittsfield, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Possibly the most wonderful place we've ever stayed. The posada is in a beautiful, historic building (convent, I think) in a charming medieval town. Our room, number 3, had two balconies, each with enchanting view of the cliff and river gorge and the parador on the other side of the river. Absolutely the most beautiful view I've ever seen from a hotel, I had to tear myself away from just sitting on the balcony all day! Our room was very big, furnishings comfortable and fitting with the historic ambiance. The bed, called a "double" was King sized and comfortable. Yes, the stone floor sloped considerably, but really, who cares? A surprise was how big the room was and especially how big and modern the bathroom was with it's double bathtub, perfect for a soak after wandering through winding little cobbled streets filled with lovely churches, gardens, and homes. They do have wifi in the little lobby area, which is so atmospheric and beautiful, it didn't seem like an inconvenience to me, I quite enjoyed sitting there with my IPad. At 100 euros a night, I thought our stay at the Posada was a bargain. Don't miss the museum of abstract art nearby, even if you are a philistine and don't like the art, the design of cliffside museum (in one of the"hanging" houses) incorporates the breathtaking natural beauty of the gorge. We took the 300km Renfe Ave train from Madrid, only took an hour to get there, the train was fun too compared to the clunkers in the U.S.

Room Tip: We loved number 3
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Granada, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

I had to visit Cuenca for work and so the university paid for the hotel, which was chosen by them. Since public universities are given a special low rate throughout Spain, I never expect much when I am sent somewhere for work. In fact, the usual scenario is to be given a microscopic room with a view of a brick wall. Obviously the university employee is not in a position to complain since he/she is not paying for the room. To my great surprise, I was given a lovely room with a small sitting room and a private balcony with the most breath-taking view that I had seen for a long time. I found the room quaint but also comfortable with a nice assortment of Rustica soaps and shampoo. Even the hair-dryer worked. The breakfast room has the same amazing view as from my balcony. As for the breakfast itself, I am not a huge breakfast eater and prefer a continental-style breakfast. So, for me, everything was fine, but someone with dreams of bacon, eggs, hash-browns, and sausages might suffer here. The posada is also in a great location for sight-seeing (if I had time), in the old part of town next to the cathedral. I called my husband to tell him what he had missed by not coming with me on this trip. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Pamela F
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Cuenca is a spectacular town, and we enjoyed our brief visit there. While the Posada has an outstanding location and the view from our room was breathtaking, Besides that, the room was adequate and the breakfast at 9 Euros pp was OK. But, my main gripe is below. To be fair, I emailed the hotel before I posted my review to let them know my dissatisfaction.

The night we arrived Cuenca, I left my purse on the train from Madrid, and was in distress about it. My wallet, ID, credit cards and camera were in my purse. I asked the night reception to call RENFE on my behalf, two calls in total, to attempt to report the incident. Because of language barriers and hold times, she terminated both phone calls. I thanked her for her help.

When we checked out, imagine our surprise when we got a bill for the phone calls. I know long-distance calls come at a cost, but to charge us 9 Euros when I'm in a state of panic? Do long-distance calls in Spain on a Friday night really cost that much? Is this hospitable behavior from a hotel, to charge for phone calls when a guest is in need?

To me it suggests that the Posada doesn't care about their guests all that much beyond the niceties of checking us in and out. They will get their business no matter what, so they don't really have to try that hard.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Risa D
Durham, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We discovered the Posada de San Jose as we were walking through the old city of Cuenca. I was struck by it’s ancient history and close relation to the central plaza of the old city. I loved the idea of staying in an old monastery that was hundreds of years old. However, having had a wonderful stay in Hostal Canovas we were slightly hesitant to change locations. However, after some contemplation we realized that the opportunity to stay in an ancient monastery built onto the side of a mountain would be unlikely to come up again soon. There were a couple of rooms available, but we opted to pay a little more for a room overlooking the canyon. I would say that this was absolutely the right option. It was an amazing view and great experience. Overall the hotel lacked certain amenities mostly due to its unique history. For example, there was no air conditioning, but the thick stone walls and a nice breeze from the canyon kept the room cool. There was no wifi, and as we were still planning certain aspects of our travel this became slightly challenging. Other than that the hotel room was clean, neatly furnished and beautiful in a very ancient and historic sort of way. It was truly a unique experience and you truly felt as though you were at the center of very ancient and unique city.

When it came down to it, the room was slightly more expensive than some other locations around Cuenca but the experience was truly unique and amazing. It is undoubtedly to coolest and most interesting hotel I have ever stayed in. There is something so cool and very unique of having to pick up and leave your key at the front desk because your room key is a giant skeleton key that goes to this crazy ancient lock! We had a great view of the canyon and the Parador de Cuenca across the mountain. Also, as an added bonus the rooms with a view of the canyon have actual double beds, as opposed to pushing two single beds together. A beautiful ancient hotel and a truly unique and amazing experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren G
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I'm normally the last person willing to pay more for a view at a hotel. Here, however, the view makes this hotel something very special and is well worth the higher rate. On the edge of the cliffs of old town Cuenca, the Posada de San Jose offers a gorgeous view of the chasm below and of the evening sunsets. To capitalize on the beauty of the views, our room had a lovely small sitting room and a balcony. This naturally sets up for a very romantic setting. Additionally from an aesthetic point of view, the old stonework that the building is made of enhances the beauty and history of the hotel. As for the room, comfortable, spacious, and clean would be the best description. My only possible complaint would be that the bed was a little old and somewhat rickety and shifty, but this is the most minor of complaints. Geographically, the Posada de San Jose is also centrally located within two blocks of the main plaza in the old town section of Cuenca All in all, this hotel is far above your typical two-star hotel. Finally, to travels like myself who covet an air conditioned room, don't be deterred by the fact that the Posada de San Jose is not air conditioned. We stayed there when it was a good 90 degrees outside yet, because the building is made of old stone and there is often a strong breeze coming in across the chasm, the room temperature was quite comfy, possibly even a little chilly at night.

Room Tip: When planning your trip here, do your research regarding the buses getting up and down the hill. Wh...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple