“Fine Fish Lunch”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2019 via mobile

Somewhat rustic and with no great street appeal we were recommended this place by our host and were rewarded with a very nice lunch.

The Hake was superb by any standard. My Pork medallions were perfectly cooked.

Staff were lovely.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed December 9, 2018

My wife and I arrived here around four in the afternoon, somewhat later in the day for lunch for a perfect time because the restaurant wasn't very busy. We chose from the menu of the day, which is how you'll get the most bang for your buck. We also chose a bottle of the house red (tinto) wine. For about 24 euros, we had appetizers, a main course, a bottle of wine, dessert and coffee. The atmosphere is very much to our liking. It felt like a place where the locals go. I don't believe they speak English but even then we could point at the menu and make ourselves clear. (It helps to be able to ask for the menu of the day (menu del dia) and a bottle or glass of the house wine (vino de la casa). Hand gestures help. The service we very very good. They don't stand over you or rush you through your meal. I ordered the mixture of ham and peas, which had an nice herb flavoring and the pork. My wife had the excellent “morteruelo” which is a very local food, and the fish dish of the day. Overall an excellent experience and worth taking the walk from the higher points in the town.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 18, 2018

Just the Thursday after the previous busy weekend of the Spanish National Day, we wanted a menu del dia and compared a few restaurants in the vicinity, this one had a menu for 12€ per person with a glass of wine and coffee included but the meal was awful, I had macaroni with some tinned tomato sauce and the mains was for both of us chicken and chips, it was unfortunately disappointing although at a competitive price, we wish now we'd tried some of the higher rated places even if more expensive. One of the less desirable experiences from our holiday.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank jronald
Reviewed July 21, 2017

My daughter and I had the Menu Del Dia here. It was wonderful. Too much food for the two of us. So, go hungry. This is a family owned/run business, and the family is great. We don't speak Spanish, but fortunately for us, one of the daughters spoke English. She checked us into our room, helped us with our food order, and made sure we were taken care of, when it was time for her to leave. I regret that I didn't write down her name, because I did want to mention her. Our waitress barely spoke English, but went out of her way to communicate with us. We really enjoyed a Cuenca dish, which they introduced us to, Morteruelo. Don't ask what's in it, just try it. The house wine was some of the best wine we had in Spain. We tried to find it elsewhere, but failed. We wish we had purchased a few bottles to take with us. We were there at lunch, and it was full of locals.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank BethKDfw_Tx
Reviewed September 9, 2016 via mobile

As I was staying in a room at the Posada Tintes Hostal- which by the way is also superb value- I decided to try the 'menu of the day' lunch menu at the restaurant.

For just 12€, this was indeed exceptional value. This was a three course menu with a choice of four items for each course. I opted for the starter of pasta salad, followed by fresh grilled whole sea bass and chips, with ice cream to finish. The price also included a glass of beer, bread, and a coffee - amazing!

The two young waitresses spoke some English and were eager to practice their language skills with me - delightful!

Unlike in the UK, language skills are given a high priority here and the younger generation all seem to learn English,though often don't have the confidence to speak it. In Cuenca, few adults seem to speak much English. However, they are very friendly and patient, so don't worry if you have to rely on phrase book Spanish, you will be fine!

Date of visit: September 2016