“Rosas was lovely; shame about the hotel!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Univers Hotel

Univers Hotel
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Roses
Norfolk
“Rosas was lovely; shame about the hotel!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Univers in July last year, it was booked through the tour group I travelled with. Firstly, I will say that in it's favour, the location is superb! The hotel is literally across the road from the beach, and only a short walk from the town and its' many shops and restaurants. The town of Rosas is well situated for trips to Barcelona, Figures and Cadaques, and really is a pleasant town to spend some time.

The main problems with the hotel are that firstly it is very outdated. You get the impression it's decor was chosen when it was built in the 70's, and hasn't been updated since. From the fake plants ans over use of cheap wood pannelling in the foyer, to the neon signs and smoke screens in the bar, you really feel you have gone back to the decade that style forgot!
The room I stayed in was okay. The floor was tiled throughout the bedroom and bathroom which meant you had to be careful not to slip in bare feet, and also careful not to drop anything fragile as it would break easily. The room was not cleaned adequately the whole time (1 week) that I was there. Cleaners came every day to empty my bin and turn down my bed, but I was forever finding grime and dust on the floor and the furnishings. My air conditioning unit was broken and dripping water. I pointed this out to the cleaner who shrugged and just put a towel underneath it on the floor! When I told the receptionist, she said they'd send a repair man up straight away but they never did, so I had to keep my window open all the time instead, which was fine during the day, but made me feel a little nervous at night. My safety deposit box didn't open properly with the key they gave me, and my balcony led out onto a low flat roof; so I never felt very secure.

In the corridor outside the rooms, lights worked on a timer switch which meant they frequently turned off when you were still walking to your room! There was a huge stain covering most of the corridor carpet. We were told there'd been a problem with flooding 8 months ago?!!! 8 months without replacing a damaged carpet in a hotel is crazy- what kind of impression does it give?!
I'd like to say the hotel made up for it with their food, but sadly not. I stayed on a B&B basis and found the breakfast awful. It was buffet style, which I usually like, but the range and quality of items was poor. Rather than have proper fresh juice, it came from a machine and I'm pretty sure was synthetic squash rather than fruit juice. The coffee also came from a vending machine and tasted gritty and absolutely nothing like coffee! The croissants and breads had clearly been kept too long as they did not taste or feel fresh.

Hot water was aslo a problem- hardly ever available in the evenings. The hotel staff claimed this was as they used solar power- but surely this stores power?!

I wish I had more positive things to say, I will say the lifts mean there is good disabled access, there is a nice pool, and the pool terrace is very pleasant.

To summerise, I would recommend Rosas as a place to stay, but would advise people to book into one of its' many other hotels. Interestingly I noticed that the tour group I travelled with, have switched to a different hotel this year!

• Stayed July 2008
4 Thank Loopy1978

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)