“Needs better service!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Badajoz
Sophia Antipolis, France
“Needs better service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Badajoz has an old town that is worth a visit, but I suppose that few international guests ever go there. If they do, they will find this hotel to be acceptable and comfortable, but unfortunately no staff member speaks English and smiling is not part of the job description.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SundayNOLA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lahti, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I was over there on work and did not make my own booking, arriving late we were greeted by a night porter who rather gruffly informed us that the garage use costs 12 euros a day for guests, a bit steep. Also breakfast was not included, but the nightly rate was otherwise low. Unlike another recent reviewer I was pleasantly surprised to come across the peacock perched outside my window and in front of the hotel. I liked the room because of its size and there was a good armchair with leg-rest, beats sitting on the bed. Breakfast was good, sure the staff could overall be more warm and welcoming , but no real problems otherwise there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Lagos, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We went to the "Festa de Povo" in Campo Maior, 30 minutes over the border in Portugal, on an organised 2 day 1 night tour. The Hotel is in an urban situation, about a 20 minute walk from the main street. The facade looks modern, many steps up to Reception but there is a lift.
For our large group, check in was speedy. However, the Reception staff were less than friendly.I spoke both in Portuguese and in English and could not get a smile.We arrived around 20.00 Portuguese time - 21.00 local. , and were told that the Restaurant closed at midnight. In fact it was not open at all, she could have told us this at the outset, but did not. The room I was given was very nice, similar to most hotels these days. I had a balcony, being a smoker, (the entire hotel is non-smoking), TV but no tea making facilities. No room service either. I was very dissapointed with my balcony however, my outlook was to a brick wall, the balcony was just cement and not painted, covered in pidgeon poo, and the other windows I could see were in dire need of renewing or at least painting. However, other members of our party were put on the street facing side but without balcony and were happy. In desperate need of a cuppa, I went to reception to ask for a jug of hot water, only to be told it was not possible. Only at breakfast.
Main gripe - I saw there was a guest computer there and asked if I could use it. I was told it took coins, 20 minutes for 1 euro 20 cents. I went back to my room to get the coins. I sat at the computer, the male receptionist I had asked was watching me put my coins in. I could not get any joy from the PC and asked the receptionist how it should work ( sometimes you need a passcode). He told me the PC was out of order. So he had watched me put in my coins only afterwards telling me it was out of order. I asked for my coins back. Was told no. Only the manager could open the till, at 09.00 in the morning.I felt VERY aggrieved.
The breakfast the following morning was good, and the staff in the dining room friendly.Overall I would not go back there. Badajoz itself is a very nice city with good shops. Well worth a visit, but at a different hotel.

Room Tip: Always say you don't like the room, and ask for another, even if it's fine. This way you get...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wallis45
Lancashire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

As hotels go the Husa Zurbaran in Badajoz is nothing special. It's tucked away up a side street just inside the old city walls but it's ease of access to the shops and restaurants is pretty good and there's decent secure parking (important as our friends were on a motorcycle) beneath the hotel. We also parked our hire car there as well as there was no available street parking (free) to be had when we arrived, cost was €12 per night. Our room was ok but needed a bit of a spruce up, there was a large crack in the ceiling and the bathroom was looking a bit tired, although it has to be said it was clean. Staff were no worse or no better than many other hotels we've stayed at, were were booked in with no fuss and it was all very efficient. Breakfast here wasn't included in the room price but could be had for a further €11. This would have added an extra €44 to our bill for the 4 of us so we declined to eat here preferring to grab something cheaper and probably more substantial on the way to our next port of call. Not the best hotel we've stayed at but certainly not the worst, for a one night stopover it's fine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank deltic
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

A good location and a lack of hotels in Badajoz make the Zuraban a good choice. It cannot do anything about its horrible 60’s architecture, but it could be a much better hotel if the front desk staff could manage a smile every once in a while. And we communicated to them in native Spanish, no Lost in Translation problem here. There was a Taurine Feria when we were there so the only restaurant offered six specials of Toro de Lidia, (bull meat), for the entire week, therefore the selection was quite repetitive and limited as the normal menu was quite restricted. The beautifully appointed restaurant has one waiter who is quite capable, but sorely understaffed.
However, sandwiches are available at the bar and the waiter, Pepe, is a smiling and pleasant employee as is the porter. Restaurant Los Monteros or Dosca II a couple of blocks away are excellent. Breakfast is quite good and plentiful. The rooms are comfortable and clean, but there is a big noise problem. In order to run cables, there is a large space between rooms (above entry door grills, not seen except if you happen to look up and your light is off and your neighbor’s is on) about 6 inches by six inches, that allows every sound to travel. Speaking of sound- I wanted to kill an animal. A peacock lives in the park across the street and wonders around freely, often in front of the hotel’s breakfast room and it screeches at dawn or dusk. It sounds like a cat is being murdered. Get a room that faces the back or better still, in the wing that faces the river. Another huge problem was the fluctuating water temperature as you shower. It can go from warm to scalding instantly and happens all the time. Internet access was an expensive12 Euros for 24 hours.

• Stayed June 2010
    • 1 of 5 stars
Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, there were 6 of us in 3 rooms. The hotel was very nice, modern and clean. The staff however did not seem very interested in being helpful. Our Spanish is limited but we tried and the staff even though they understood and spoke English seemed annoyed that they had to answer our questions. It was in a great location within walking distance of the historical and shopping sections of town. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank AnitaWyoming
South Coast UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We were leaving Toledo and following the River Douro into Portugal. Badajoz was a convenient one-night stopover and this hotel was great. It is situated by a large park with wandering peacocks. They joined us on the terrace in the evening to provide the entertainment. The restaurant is fantastic, overlooking the park and five star attention to detail. There was a wide choice of excellent dishes including fish and the food was either cooked on a barbeque or brought from the kitchen. We paid £51.90 for the room and although the meal was 57 euros, it was memorable. As far as we recall there was no parking on site but we parked opposite the hotel with no problem.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple