“Great place!”

Flames Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #5 of 215 Restaurants in Ayia Napa
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Flames Restaurant was established in 1989 by Theo and Peter, as a family business. Since then they have been focused on providing services with the highest levels of customer satisfaction. Flames restaurant is highly recommended for it's Traditional Cyprus Dishes. However, if you fancy an alternative, the restaurant also provide a wide range of food, such as steaks, grills, pastas, fish and vegetarian specialities. Therefore, Flames can satisfy all needs.
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Very good place! We had a nice time here: stifado, musaka and wine were super!
Here is a great opportunity to chose between large and medium portion.

There are newer reviews for Flames Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed April 17, 2014

This restaurant was established in 1989 by two brothers, Theo and Peter. They know the secrets of the Cypriot cuisine and know how to receive very well their clients. By the way, it was here I learned about the origin of meze.
If you have no idea what means meze, just think about small portions of several traditional dishes. Basically, the main course can be either fish or meat. The side dishes range from salads, cooked eggs, to several kind of sauces.
I was introduced to this restaurant by a Cypriot friend used to visit it. As we were not too much hungry, we ordered the "basic" meze.
Our meat meze included, at least, souvlaki, afelia (stewed diced pork marinated in wine with corinder), stifado (slow cooked beef stew with onions, garlic, tomatoes, cinamon, pepper and vinegar), keftedes (meat balls), koupepia (stuffed grape leaves with minced meat and rice), grilled lountza (smoked pork loin slice), grilled halloumi chesse, Greek slalad, grilled wild mushrooms, fried zucchini, hummus, tzatziki, Greek yogurt, taramasalata, beetroot and pitta bread.
They have a good selection of national wines and I was well surprised with the Portuguese apéritif Port win.
The quality of the food impressed me a lot. It was very tasty. At the end, the owners gifted me with the national five kings brandy.
If I visit again Aya Napa, surelly I will eat again in this great restaurant and I recommend it a lot.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

In an attempt to find an exceptionally good Cypriot restaurant in Agia Napa to please a friend and a guest of mine, I searched a lot and read reviews until I came up with the Flames. I called the owners and booked a table for lunch.

LOCATION: The restaurant is nicely set and located very close to the Nissi Beach area which is one of my favourite spots in Agia Napa.

A HEARTY WELCOME: The two brothers proved excellent hosts and when we arrived the welcome was hearty, exactly as I expected it to be. I wanted my friend to feel this genuine Cypriot hospitality.
The brothers have been running this business for the last 25 years so there is no doubt that they know the work well and they did not let us down.

THE OWNERS: It is a small family business with Theo a trained Chef and Peter (Panikos) a trained waiter. Their dream was and still is to achieve in every way the best service and through their traditional Cypriot Dishes help tourist in a way, enjoy to the maximum their holidays in Cyprus. This restaurant is their life and they deservedly represent the authentic Cypriot hospitality out there in Ayia Napa.

CUISINE: The restaurant is popular with traditional Cypriot dishes and not only! There is a whole list of other dishes that are served out here and are enough to make happy the most demanding guest.
Steaks, Grilled meat, Pasta, Fish and several Vegetarian specialties are some of the rest of the dishes one can find here.

LUNCH: Well the purpose of this lunch was to have my friend try some nice Cypriot dishes. We did not ask for the usual ones served, I mean olives and pickles, or the minor ones, but asked for the best out of the whole list of ‘meze’. For me what counts is quality and not quantity.

Panicos brought a platter of different dips at first, and since the time was such and there were no other customers I insisted that he comes and join us. The dips were fantastic and very refreshing.

Then the rest of the dishes were presented in small plates exactly as the real meze and we had “afelia” which is a local dish made of diced pork marinated in wine with coriander. “Stifado”, “meatballs”, “kupepia” as Cypriots call them. The Greek name that stands for this dish is ‘dolmadakia’ and they are the Staffed Vine Leaves.
“Souvlaki” is kabab. We were also brought some “Lountza”. It is smoked pork loin in slices. We tried the grilled mushrooms, some fried zucchini, the halloumi Cypriot cheese, Cypriot Salad which was freshly cut and it was obvious that both the cucumber and tomatoes were from the round area. The fried potatoes were exactly as I expected them to be since the area prides for the excellent potatoes which are exported throughout Europe.

Thanks to the two brothers my friend probably had the opportunity to learn a few more things about the Cypriot cuisine.

It was a beautiful day so we chose to have lunch outside at the nicely decorated porch.
There is also a Bar inside the restaurant with a rich variety of beverage. Since the day was sunny we accompanied our lunch with a bottle of the local KEO beer.

TIP: Don’t expect gourmet dishes out here. Portions are big but they are not gourmet. This is one of the mistakes many tourists do. If you are after gourmet dishes you can find them at 5* hotels and in Signature restaurants in the big cities and expect to pay much as well.

MEZE: The word MEZE means variety and it comes in small portions similar to the Spanish tapas (appetizers or snacks)

The story behind goes like this: It all started almost 50 years ago when in small coffee shops in the villages the ladies back then were making coffee for workers at first. Little by little they started having a few orders at the beginning -it could be a fried or a boiled egg, some cheese, olives, or ham etc. As the years went by, these ladies started preparing and serving one or two dishes, -at first their own home meals, so they would serve small portions of these dishes to their customers as well.

So, little by little ladies added more and more and this is how this kind of ordering set the fashion. In the course of time this had become a trend and nowadays one can also enjoy “Seafood meze” instead of meat or vegetable dishes. Many Seafood tavernas can be found at the village of Zygi by the way.

IN ALL: Whatever we had was nicely cooked in virgin olive oil coming from the family Panikos said. All dishes were cooked to perfection and we both enjoyed the meal. I can highly recommend the business and long to be back. Thank you guys, continue to be loyal with what you have started doing. You know exactly how to please your customers and you are doing it well.

2  Thank greekcypriot2009
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The best restaurant in Aiya Napa, and I have visited most of them. Food is excellent, people is excellent, service is excellent, and the price is nice. I always go back when in Cypros, and then I go to no other restaurant, because I know I get the very best at Flames.

1  Thank Berit O
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Good value and great food make this a very good restaurant. The staff are very friendly and take time to talk with you. Their traditional food was excellent as was the rest of the menu especially the grilled chicken.